Chapter Three - Life on the Ocean's Waves

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Liberty and Resupply

Post by veritas » Sat May 21, 2011 3:42 am

Fin enjoys a raucous night of good cheer and spirits with the crew before heading back to the Sea Wyvern to rest. He's spent a bit of his coin on the town's luxuries, but nothing that he feels will be too costly. Making a mental note to pay his respects to the local temple of Procan in the morning, Fin prepares to bed down for the night.

mysticknight232
Level 11
Level 11

Post by mysticknight232 » Sat May 21, 2011 11:55 pm

Wavedancer takes his drink and thanks the barkeep for his information. He intends to enjoy the atmosphere for the night and then head up to bed when he feels like it. He will venture forth the next morning to find the alchemists shop to browse the owners scroll collection.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Sat May 21, 2011 11:56 pm

Aboard the Sea Wyvern

"Thank you for the offer," Amella replies, Putting her hand on his and giving it a squeeze. "I'm not sure where the future lies for me," she goes on, standing up and finishing off her brandy. "But I'm glad to know that I have somewhere to go." She takes her hat off a peg and puts it on. "And no, I don't resent you. Not anymore" She straps her sword belt on, more out of habit than out of concern. "I'm going to walk a circuit of the ship to make sure all's well, then turn in. It's going to be a busy day tomorrow what with resupplying and rewatering." She walks to the door, then pauses. "Thanks for listening. There aren't many people I can talk to about this." Then she turns and heads out for her evening rounds.

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Post by Chanur » Sun May 22, 2011 1:47 am

Chanur drinks a few more glasses of brandy then turns in. He knows he has a lot to do on the morrow.
By the way killer pirate gnomes are awesome!

arkahm
Level 8
Level 8

Post by arkahm » Tue May 24, 2011 4:42 am

Sindu spends the majority of the rest of the day tending to the shrine and organizing things that may be out of place. He does the best he can, not being a priest, he uses his best remembrance of how the acolytes organized the temple in Sasarine. After the shrine is to par, he turns his attention to the place he does know about. He walks through the graveyard inspecting how the locals are treating their deceased. Any flowers or arrangements out of place are put back to their rightful spots and candles are righted after falling. It would be good if we could spare one Acolyte here to tend this. He thinks to himself. "Perhaps after this is over I will ask about a small group to come and establish a following." he says out loud to himself absent-minded. It looks as if the townsfolk do view Wee Jas with respect. Maybe a quite a few can be converted to the ways. After his survey through the yard, he returns to the shrine, kneeling to say his prayers and wishing their venture well. When it is time to leave, he walks towards the opening, only stopping long enough to drop a single coin into the offering box before heading back to the ship for rest. His single platinum coin clinks in the bottom of the box with the rest to await the next collection.
I figure I can do arranging and such with my K:Religion but I should know enough since I have been practically raised by the temple. Sheet money is updated.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue May 24, 2011 9:01 pm

Morning dawns and everyone rises, some with less pleasure than others. Not a few of the crew and passengers are suffering from the excesses of last night. But those who have jobs to do know how to work through hangovers. It's part of being a sailor.

Chanur and Amella rise with the dawn and head out to coordinate with an officer of the Blue Nixie to go about victualling and watering the ship. It will be a long process, but not a complicated one. Fort Blackwell is very practiced at this sort of thing, and has it down to a science. Also, Lavinia has brought a chest of gold to pay for such things. And a steady supply of gold makes everything move faster.

Sindu spends the evening at the town cemetery and the local shrine to Wee Jas. He's able to tidy up the graveyard, and clean up the shrine, though there's nothing major to do in either. He finds both to be typical of a town this size. All of the major things are taken care of properly. But it's likely that there's only one person tending both full time, so some of the smaller tasks have fallen through the cracks. The monk leaves the cemetery and the shrine looking better than it has since the last time a visiting priest was here.
Just as an FYI, wholesale conversions to any faith are very rare. Most townsfolk will go on worshiping the same gods they've always worshiped. Furthermore, given the pantheistic nature of the gods in Greyhawk, very few people worship one god alone. That's the whole point of a pantheon. Most have a god they feel closer to, a patron of sorts. But they'll typically give all of the gods in the pantheon their due. The goddess of agriculture gets prayers of thanks at harvest time; The goddess of life is praised at the birth of a child; Procan is prayed to when going on a long sea voyage, and Wee Jas is given homage at funerals.

That being said, very few common people see Wee Jas as a favored patron. And very, very few are converted to that belief. Most are fairly devout in respecting her and observing the proper ceremonies and donations when a family member dies. But let's face it, the goddess of death is never going to be a popular patron. The one exception to that is those who practice magic (a small fraction of the population). Given that the portfolio of Wee Jas includes Magic, she is, actually a popular patron with wizards, sorcerers and others who practice arcane magic.

I wanted to say, though, that it's not a very reasonable hope for Sindu that many (or even any) of the folk in Fort Blackwell might be converted to seeing Wee Jas as their patron. (They already worship her, if not exclusively.) Death and Magic are not things that are central to the lives of many people in a town this size. It's not unreasonable to hope for a minor acolyte to tend things here. In fact, in many towns this size, the sexton would be an acolyte of Wee Jas. In the end, though, it's all about workforce. The church of Wee Jas simply doesn't have the people to send an acolyte to every single town in the world. And realistically, they that isn't likely to change. So they do the best they can, using circuit priests who visit a number of towns, and sending their limited supply of acolytes where they think they'll be of best use.
Berek sleeps in, having nothing vital that needs doing today. The ship is in a safe harbor - probably for the last time in a long time - and is unlikely to be at any risk today. The dwarf can use the opportunity to deal with a morning after that's straining even the legendary dwarvish constitution.

Fin has a restful evening and uses his morning to visit the shrine of Procan. It's one of the largest in town, and could properly be called a temple in its own right. There is one priest in residence and two acolytes, respectable for a town this size. But given that much of the town's living is made by the sea on one way or another, it's not surprising. They welcome Fin to the shrine and ask him if he wishes to join them for lunch and participate in the blessing of a fishing boat later in the day. The priest also offers him a place to sleep in the rectory attached to the shrine where he and the two acolytes live. Hospitality to fellow clergy is to be expected.

Wavedancer heads off to the apothecary first thing in the morning, looking for magic. The older man running the shop is happy to chat with him, it being a business that doesn't have many customers. A sea-elf, or half-sea-elf, is also enough of a curiosity in a seaside town that Wavedancer achieves a certain celebrity status. Over a mid-morning pot of coffee with small pastries, Bartholomew Travis, or Bart as he likes to be called, shows Wavedancer a collection of scrolls and potions and tells him that he could probably get some custom made if given enough time.
Wavedancer can get most 1st level spells as scrolls or potions, and can potentially get some 2nd or 3rd level potions or scrolls made to order by tomorrow. Let me know what he wants. He also has good supplies of common alchemical mixtures.

As for regular supplies, pretty much everything normal is available in town. People can feel free to give me a list of what they want to get. Unless it's really out of the ordinary, you can buy it. This town is here primarily as a supply port, after all.

Buying or selling magic will go on a case-by-case basis. Let me know what you want to buy or sell and we can handle it on the fly.

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Post by Chanur » Tue May 24, 2011 11:16 pm

Chanur joins Amella in getting the Wyvern resupplied knowing the sooner it is done the sooner he can go resume his debauchery. He asks after the crews evenings and makes small talk.

As the day progresses he keeps his eyes open for Liamae, wanting to talk to her if he see's her. He also keeps an eye out for Daerith and Tolin wondering how the evening pandered out.

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Wed May 25, 2011 3:10 am

Fin gladly accepts the invitation for lunch and agrees to participate in the blessing of the fishing boat, but chooses to remain on the Sea Wyvern for his sleeping arrangements, explaining to his fellow clergymen that he is the ship's surgeon and wishes to be easily available for such, if need be.

mysticknight232
Level 11
Level 11

Post by mysticknight232 » Thu May 26, 2011 1:41 am

Wavedancer is excited by the prospects of purchasing magic items, most likely magic scrolls.

"I appreciate the hospitality you are showing to me Bart. The coffee is excellent and the pastries have really hit the spot. I have nothing pressing to do today and would enjoy your company as a diversion from the sailor's life."

"If I may move on to business for a moment Bart. I will likely place an order for some scrolls today. Let us discuss price first before I place my order. For the scrolls that you have in stock, how much? Also, if I were to order scrolls of higher level, also how much? Once we have decided on an agreed upon price, I will place my order."

Digging into his robes, Wavedancer jingles his coin purse to indicate that he does have coin on his possession and that he's not just browsing. He isn't trying to brag, merely indicate that he wishes to make a purchase.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu May 26, 2011 6:56 pm

Daerith eventually returns to the ship during the day, he has reserved his room again at The Crown for tonight, but he returns to do some work. Finding Chanur or Amella he goes over with them all the talk from the night before (leaving out his conversation with Tolin and any romantic things with Lavina). He shows the course to them again, talks weapons, supplies, and other such nautical speak to make sure things are running smoothly. He helps as he can but eventually returns to the city hoping to stay clear of the ship for as long as possible considering the time you'll be on board soon. He does some shoping, looking for a gift for Lavina. He'll try and find Lavina and spend a bit of time with her; ostensibly to informer of the Wyvern's condition of supplies and the like.
I'm basically set here unless some fan gets dirty with some stuff ;) Otherwise, shoping, chit chat, another night on dry land.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring