Chapter Three - Sargasso

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Fire

Post by Trogdor » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:51 pm

Daerith and Fin rush to Konrad's side and immediately do what they can to help. The magus hands him a vial of antitoxin, while the priest tends the poison as best he can. Thankfully, he's dealt with masher poison before, so he knows just what to do. In the end, the combination of antitoxin and treatment proves effective, a couple of minutes pass with no further bad effects trouble the large fighter.

"You have my thanks," Konrad says. "That thing was nastier than I expected."

Even as this treatment is going on, efforts are again turned to getting the ship off the reef. More water is pumped off the ship to lighten it. By now everyone is moved to the aft. Chanur tries every trick he knows. Daerith and Wavedancer assist, but as he noted earlier, this is something that Daerith has no experience with. And so his assistance doesn't help much. The end result of all this is that while the ship moves a little bit back, it still remains stuck on the reef.

Then Fin steps up and suggests dumping almost all the water to truly lighten the ship. With land so close, they need not worry about re-watering. Chanur takes the priest's advice and soon gushing water can be seen coming out of the pumps. Soon this lightens the ship so that she moves back, and then back again, and finally is pulled off of the reef by the rear anchor. The Sea Wyvern is free in the water again.

But all is not good. As Berek reports from his time as a manta ray, and as Palan reports from below, the reef has holed the ship in several places. And while Palan and Kyle are working hard to patch them, it may be a near run thing to get to shore safely, a distance of perhaps twenty-fine miles. For by now it's clear that the Sea Wyvern must get to shallow, protected water soon or there's no hope for anyone on board.
Fin makes a Healing check (+4 because of Daerith's antitoxin) (DC 18 ): "20" = 36; success!
Yay, you succeed in keeping him from losing another 2d6 Con!

Chanur makes a Prof(sailor) check at DC 20 to dislodge the ship. I'll let two people assist. After that it's too many cooks spoiling the broth.
Daerith's assist: "1" = 8; fail
Wavedancer's assist: 18; success
Chanur's Prof(sailor) check (DC 20) [+2 AA]: 19; fail, but only just

10% chance of another masher appearing: 43; no masher

Chanur makes a Prof(sailor) check at DC 20 to dislodge the ship. I'll let two people assist. After that it's too many cooks spoiling the broth.
Fin's assist: = 15; success (Fin has a better check than Daerith, but he was dealing with Konrad the first time around)
Wavedancer's assist: 24; success
Chanur's Prof(sailor) check (DC 20) [+4 AA]: 30; success, the ship is free.

Good thing, too. Because each failure increases the chance of another masher by 10%.

mysticknight232
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Fire

Post by mysticknight232 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:44 am

Wavedancer stands idly by as Fin and Daerith tend to Konrad's wounds. Knowing he's not much use, he stays quiet and lets his friend do the work.

In mere minutes, Konrad is up on his feet and despite looking like death actually took him, he is still her. After which, Wavedancer puts his water abilities to use and dives in to survey the damage, seeing if anything was missed or if anything can be done about the predicament they're in.
I'll head into the water to see if there's anything that can be done to help with my water abilities such as Hydralic Push or Slipstream
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:39 am

As the ship creaks free of the reef the manta ray become Berek slips into the ship's rump through the leak in the hull and down there aids in whatever way he can to keep the water level down.
So another unexpected land stop? Let's just hope our ship isn't shattered and we need to make our way through the island by foot.
Big Pimpin...

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Post by Chanur » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:00 am

Chanur is aware the situation is tenuous. "Daerith how far was that natural harbor we were heading too? We can only make it another 20-25miles before there is no saving her. The Wyvern needs to make port and be repaired. Lirith deserves a burial at sea."
Basically I want to know if we can make it to the harbor/bay that was mentioned.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:25 am

Chanur looks ahead at the water before the Sea Wyvern and wonders: will they make it. But what choice do they really have? Shore is twenty-five miles away with dangerous reefs between them and anywhere they might land - or even beach - the ship. There was nothing to do except try, hope, and perhaps pray.
You're not sure if you can make it to the harbor. Then again, you're not even sure that you could bring her in and beach her on the one sandy beach nearby. You've got a holed ship twenty-five miles from an unfriendly shore in the middle of a storm. There aren't a whole lot of good options.

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Post by Chanur » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:53 am

Chanur shouts his orders time is wasting. "Raise anchor, make sail we need to get to that harbor! Prepare the life boats just in case!" The Captain then takes the wheel knowing a steady hand will be needed.
Try to get to shore, hope we make it.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:53 pm

Daerith shakes his head, "Captain, we are going to be lucky to make it closer to shore. I think it is wise to prepare to abandon ship. The passengers need to be ready to get to the life boats, food stores need to be loaded, and the crew should be ready to escape into the sea. We need to sail for land, as close as we can, and pray we don't have far to swim."

Daerith does everything he can to help get the Sea Wyvern close to the shore, and makes ready his gear and items to bring ashore.
Before we crash, Another floating disk from Pearl, plus that new oil on my sea chest, and haul everything I can to shore. Might also be a good time for that swan boat. I want to make sure if we are going under, that I'm ready and I don't miss a chance to save everything I can, including food and tool fro shelter making.

I fully expect to get shipwrecked, and I want to be ready for it.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

The End (a bit late)

Post by Trogdor » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:34 pm

I realize that I should have ended this thread when you left the Sargasso.

I'm going to end it here and move you back to the the Voyage South.