Chapter Five - Tides of Dread

The first Savage Tide has already touched the mortal world, yet none who live today recall this terrible time of red ruin. It swept over an ancient city, transforming beggar and noble, merchant and thief, resident and visitor, one and all into feral, ravenous fiends. What took the ancients hundreds of years to build came crumbling down in a matter of days. When the final ripples of the tide faded, only ruins remained.

Now, after a thousand years, the hidden architect of the Savage Tide gazes upon new targets. This time, the doom will not be limited to one hapless city. This time, all of civilization is perched on the shore, blissfully ignorant of what the tide is about to bring in.

A Dungeon Magazine Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate Captain Trogdor
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Planning for the Defense of Farshore

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:51 pm

"Lavinia is right, we've already made friendly contact with them. Perhaps killing this Temauhti-tecuani would give us some clout with the Olmani, they seem the kind that would respect and honor strength, when used appropriately." He completely ignores Merevanchi's comments for a bit, "Avner, you have a keen mind for this sort of thing, and have seen the Olmani, wouldn't you agree that treating fairly with them in their own lands would be the best way to go?"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:05 pm

"Well, they seemed friendly enough when we went through their villages," Avner replies. "But we only saw them for a few days. And I'm not really trained to deal with high-level stuff like that. Give me a sword in my hand and a woman on my arm. I leave the diplomatic decisions to my father and my uncle."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:39 pm

"But you are right, when we were in their villages, they were friendly and helpful and were good to us, to me and to you Avner. I think you can't argue its worth talking to them. I would be happy to fight at their side, if they were fighting willingly." He nods to Fin and Berek, "Seems like we have our work cut out for us, Tar Pits, Thunder Lizards, and Olmani, then off to save our crew."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:38 am

Fin nods to Daerith, a stern look on his face.

"I don't mean to speak out of turn, but I have to say that the idea of forcefully annexing the land of a group of people who have shown us nothing but friendship is distasteful.

"I think we could gain quite a bit through a diplomatic attempt. Given proper incentive, the Olmans are more likely to ally with us than leave us out to dry. They lack technology, not civility.

"Setting the moral implications aside, you'd probably lose more men than you'd gain trying to subjugate them anyway."
So I'm pointing my alignment meter at Lord Meravanchi and getting a very strong reading of 'Lawful Jackass'. I think we might want to put Lavinia getting elected mayor at the top of our list of things to do after we get the ship and crew back :/
Last edited by veritas on Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:52 pm

"No worries Daerith. I'm gonna go cut of that lizard's head and they'll treat me like a king. Then I'll drink like a Dwarf and they'll think I'm a god!" the Dwarf announces with a bawdy roar of laughter.
Big Pimpin...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:00 pm

Daerith laughs at Berek, "Or at the very least you can give it another case of really bad indigestion, just like the last one of these things we faced." He laughs with Berek.

The elf catch's Fin's look and he totally agrees with it in regards to Avner's Uncle. "The saying is you catch more flies with honey. I agree, there is no need to force the Olmani to do anything. Even Avner agrees, they are good people, friendly and helpful." He's hoping to even turn Avner away from his Uncle, to get him to speak out against the brash actions might go along way to help Lavinia later on.

"Are we done here? I'm getting tired, and need some food, drink, and a good warm bed."
I totally agree! We MUST have Lavinia win the election.

mackaber
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by mackaber » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:11 pm

"Well I got's to train for my deification!" Berek replies with a smug smile. Seeing the confused look on the educated Elf's face the Dwarf enjoys another hearty laugh. "Ha! Ye never thought I'd know a word like that did ye?"
Hey for some reason Berek has a 16 INT
Big Pimpin...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:13 pm

Daerith looks at Berek, "Your what? Yes I know what the words means, I'm not sure you do, dwarf." He shakes his head with a smile on it, "Come on, if we are done here we need a bath, and something to drink. I never thought I'd say this, but I need some rum."

mysticknight232
Level 11
Level 11

Post by mysticknight232 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:29 pm

Keeping mostly silent while the group argues back and forth, Wavedancer is finally in agreement with at least the first task at hand. "The Olmani are not savages, besides they are native to this island. If anybody were to be annexed it would be Farshore" states the half-elf with complete seriousness. "After the help they offered us, bringing us to these shores with a pirate ship anchored at bay and the town a blaze, I'll have you show some respect to the indiginous people of this land" declares Wavedancer loudly to Manthalay.

Taking a step closer to him, Wavedancer plants his spear and lowers his voice to a menacing level "Besides, your Lordship" Wavedancer says with sarcasm in his tone, "you'd likely be dead by now if the Sea Wyvern's hadn't shown up thanks to the Olmani."

With that Wavedancer takes a step back and says "Lavinia, Sea Wyverns, apologies but I must retire before I choke on the drivel being shoved down our thoats." And with that, Wavedancer turns and stalks out the door.
i know we're all in agreement on this issue but Wavedancer is not having any of this BS about conscripting free native people and taking their villages. I'll stand outside and wait for for the rest of the group to be shown to our rooms. :-)
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:29 pm

As the meeting breaks up, settling into numerous small conversations that go their separate ways, Lavinia gives each of the Sea Wyverns a big hug and insists that you all stay at her manor. There's plenty of room, she assures the group, as it was originally planned for more than just her. Everyone then retires to the new Vanderboren Manor, much smaller than the original, yet still much larger than most buildings in Farshore. There the group is treated to a meal, baths, and soft beds in preparation for their departure in the morning.
I'll pause briefly to see if you want to say anything to Lavinia in private. Then I'll proceed to the trip north.