Chapter 1: To Join a Team

It has been ten years since Mastermind died defending the world from Omega. The world needed champions, it needed heroes, it needed the Protectors. Five years ago, the world would have fallen without them. One year ago only two watched over the world. The world suffered, it cried for more heroes, for more Protectors. Now the Protectors answer the world'€™s cry calling for heroes from all over the world to join their ranks. Who will answer?
The Protectors is a Mutants & Masterminds 2nd edition campaign. The story follows our heroes to when they first join the exalted ranks of the Protectors, to when they battle fiends powerful enough to destroy entire nations. How will they fare? Only time will tell.

Edited by GM Anorin
Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Re: Under Attack

Post by Hayabusa » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:49 pm

"I didn't mean to interrupt the past," Blackhawk replies. "But should we stand around and do nothing? Perhaps we were here and helped, but it wasn't noticed."
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:06 pm

"Remember," Malador replies, "I was - that is, am - in the library throughout this fight. All I know is from what I heard. But I don't think this is how it happened. To the extent that anything is different now, I say we should try and put things back on track. To the extent they're going as they did, we should not interfere.
Anorin, am I correct in my understanding that this does not sound like how it really went? I'm particularly interested in any discrepancies that I can note.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:36 pm

Received some extra info by PM
Malador looks back and forth again, clearly trying to remember everything he was told about this fight. "This is definitely not right," he says at last. As I was told, Deathless delayed Omega giving Mastermind a little more time to prepare. And Nihil was here, not with us. Something has definitely changed." He narrows his eyes. "The others barely won against Omega's minions. And that was when they had time to prepare. They must be sorely pressed now. We should help them. If we don't, then Over-Matter might feel he has to. And it's vital that Over-Matter be free to help Mastermind." He looks to Blackhawk, their designated leader, for approval of this recommendation.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:35 pm

Blackhawk nods slightly.

"I agree, let's help out. Although I don't want to force you to do it", he says and he slowly glances over the rest of team waiting for objection. "Or do you want to sit idly by while men and women are killed."

Joni
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Joni » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:13 am

Synapse pipes up, "As long as we are here we need to try to make a difference for the better where we can."
~Tina Warrior Physicist~

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:12 pm

"Exactly", Blackhawk says and nod in approval. Then he looks at Megalith and Painkiller, waiting for their comment on this matter.

Max_Power
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Max_Power » Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:04 am

Painkiller nods, "Some of the recent events aren't identical to my memories. But one thing is for certain, we have to save as many lives as possible till Over-Matter arrives.

So, let's get out there and trash some drones."
Max Power - "Kids, there's three ways to do things; the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power way!"
Children - "Isn't that the wrong way?"
Max Power - "Yeah, but faster!"

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:20 am

After a moment or two of pondering, Megalith promptly smiles and chimes in with, "Hell, I have no idea what went down, so I'm game! Let's Roll!" "Besides," the stony lummox then adds, "We can't die just yet, cuz some of us here are still alive!"
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Anorin
Level 6
Level 6

The Real Battle

Post by Anorin » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:28 am

Max_Power 3 days. I'll assume given Painkiller's general demeanor he'll move all out.
The decision is made, no matter the risk the team will join the battle. Malador rises from the ground and wraps Megalith in a familiar blue glow. Flying out of the tent with Megalith in tow Malador comes to the battle in mere seconds. The others start following, only Blackhawk takes his time getting to the battle.

Soldiers are still scrambling to defend the camp the deafening sounds of anti-aircraft fire fills the air. Yet, even the sounds of gunfire, powerpike discharges, and artllery can't compare to the thunderous sounds of Mastermind's battle with Omega. The red and blue flashes of light are always followed by a thunderous explosion. The heroes can barely keep their feet as the shockwaves reach them, even Malador, the former Master Mage, can barely keep his hold on Megalith against such a display of raw power. The titan wavers in the mage's grasp even Megalith gets nervous with how much he's swaying.

Even so Malador brings his comrade to the sight of the battle, looking below they see pure chaos. The remaining fifty heroes are locked in hand to hand combat with the Omega drones. Swathes of drones are laying on the ground, but hundreds more blanket the sky. One hero flies among the drones in the air. With a great yell he unleashes a huge blast of energy from himself. A blinding flash of red light stretching out seventy feet follows and dozens of Omega drones fall out of the sky. The hero is still there now seemingly made up of the energy he just expelled, but he appears to have exhausted himself with his effort.

Looking down Malador sees Predator and Deathless making short work of the drones around them, dozens lay at their feet. Deathless seems to be shouting something, but it's lost over the roar of battle.

Malador then becomes aware of a sobering fact. Despite their superior power and skill, the heroes are fighting a hopeless battle. Every drone they cut down is replaced within seconds and the drones from above continue to fire down onto the heroes. The few soldiers that have arrived have opened fire on the drones but to minimal effect. They will be fresh meat for the drones in just a few seconds.

Above, Omega levels his hand at Mastermind and lets loose a blast of pure crimson. Mastermind flies out of the way and a blast of blue energy launches from his head and slams into Omega... to no effect. Mastermind curses and fails to notice the blast Omega had just attacked him with has curved back and is heading straight for him.

Synapse slides into a wall and stretches out with her senses. She's shocked by the sheer number of minds on the other side of that wall.

Painkiller arives on the scene gun drawn and eyes wide. There are more drones now than what he remembers.

Blackhawk is still halfway from the battle but he certainly feels the ground shake. Soldiers are working tirelessly to get the wounded out in time, but Blackhawk realizes such an action would be pointless. Should this camp fall, there wasn't a stronghold left on the face of the Earth.
Malador, you have a surprise round on the drones. you can throw Megalith with your remaining action or do something else. Keep in mind if you drop Megalith, he looses his action, though he's in no danger of being damaged.

Also the nearest drones are about twenty feet away, there are a clump of about five of them, no heroes in the immediate vicinity of those drones. They seem to be engaged in a flanking maneuver.

You are thirty feet above the ground.

Joni
Level 6
Level 6

Re: The Real Battle

Post by Joni » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:34 pm

Synapse stays behind the wall trying to geel for the overriding presence that is in control.
~Tina Warrior Physicist~