Chapter 1: To Join a Team

It has been ten years since Mastermind died defending the world from Omega. The world needed champions, it needed heroes, it needed the Protectors. Five years ago, the world would have fallen without them. One year ago only two watched over the world. The world suffered, it cried for more heroes, for more Protectors. Now the Protectors answer the world'€™s cry calling for heroes from all over the world to join their ranks. Who will answer?
The Protectors is a Mutants & Masterminds 2nd edition campaign. The story follows our heroes to when they first join the exalted ranks of the Protectors, to when they battle fiends powerful enough to destroy entire nations. How will they fare? Only time will tell.

Edited by GM Anorin
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: The Real Battle

Post by Trogdor » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:50 pm

Malador stops for a moment and gazes in awe at the raw power in front of him. He'd heard the others describe what the battle was like. But nothing could quite convey the sheer magnitude of what he saw. It was times like this he was glad that he was blessed not to feel fear. Such feelings could paralyze a man.

Then, he springs forth into action. "Time to show them what we've got," he says to Megalith. Then he hurls the stony hero at a small group of drones. Then, just to allow himself a bit more protection, he invokes a spell that will render him as substantial as a ghost.
Toss Megalith at Drones.
Free action to switch spell to Insubstantial.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:17 pm

"Alright!" replies Megalith, his stony brow furrowed and ready for action. Tucking himself into a ball, the rocky hero then proceeds to ride the momentum of Malador's attempt at hurling him amidst the enemy "CANNONBALL!" the hero screams aloud as he then proceeds to whomp on the enemy with all his might.
Punch drone, grab, and prepare to throw at another!
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:02 pm

Rushing towards a drone close to him, Blackhawk watches how Megalith moves through the air, attacking a drone himself. Once more amazed by Malador's seemingly far superior powers, he focuses at the task at hand, closing in on the next enemy.
Full round action: Move.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Max_Power
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Max_Power » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:00 am

As soon as Painkiller left the tent he tries to support the troops with his superior aiming skills. He moves towards the front aiming and shooting at the drones.
Move Action: Draw swords
Standard Action: Ranged Attack with rifle against closest drone.
Max Power - "Kids, there's three ways to do things; the right way, the wrong way and the Max Power way!"
Children - "Isn't that the wrong way?"
Max Power - "Yeah, but faster!"

Anorin
Level 6
Level 6

Simulation Ended

Post by Anorin » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:04 am

Malador heaves his comrade forward and unlocking a spell with the force of his mind, he leaves the realm of the material. Megalith hurtles through the air coming down on the drones. Megalith's cry is punctuated by a loud WHOOMP, as he lands on one of the drones. The others turn seemingly unaffected by his sudden appearance. They fail to react even as he pulls the drone's crumpled form out from under him and prepares to use it as a weapon.

One by one the others arrive on the field. Synapse trying to cope with the sheer number of minds. Trying to find the one in control isn't hard, his mind draws you like a moth to a flame. A blood red light in the darkness. For a moment, Synapse can see the vast conciousness that lays beneath the power. This will embodies destruction the magnitude of the thoughts that leak through the surface staggers her, she knows one thing, she is not capable of defeating him.

As Painkiller levels his gun and unloads on a drone not ten feet from him Blackhawk arrives next to him, surveying a hopeless scene.

Before anything else can be done time seems to stop. Predator is frozen in place with her hand through a drone's abdomen trying to move him inbetween her and another drone behind her. While Deathless takes a pike's blast straight in the gut, frozen in mid fall as the smoke rises from his belly. Mastermind is being thrown to the ground by Omega, his energy already spent in the face of such a foe. Soldiers kneel down and train their guns on the drones in the sky, muzzle flashes frozen in time and bullet shell casings that will never reach the ground.

A familiar female voice reverberates throughout the chamber,

Primary Objective: Enemy Engaged
Simulation Ending

The world around you shimmers and dissappears. You find yourselves back in the simulation chamber and then you hear Over-Matter's voice, "Well done." Looking towards the observation platform you see him and Predator looking down on you. "Welcome to the Protectors, debriefing is at 1500 hours."

Over-Matter turns and walks away without looking back. Predator gives you a thumbs up before following. The door you entered through is now opened, leaving you a couple of hours to do whatever you wish.
Thus ends the Simulation. I know I know, all that build up and then nothing, but hey that's how comics work a lot of the time. You guys have spent 4 hours in the simulator, running around everywhere, so you have about two hours to do whatever you want.

No Over-Matter hasn't told you what the point of the exercise was, he doesn't want to yet.

I'll work on the rewards later.

I encourage you all to roleplay for a little bit, this is your first session of the sandbox part of this game, mingle with the other teams, explore, or talk amongst yourselves. Just say your character is getting some rest if you aren't interested in rp'ng right now.

I really encourage you to mingle with the other teams, some information may surprise you :D .

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Re: Simulation Ended

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:33 pm

As soon as the world around them shimmers and disapperas, Blackhawk stops dead in his tracks. Standing upright and motionless for a few seconds allows his cape to wrap itself around him. Only a moment long he squints his eyes, glancing after Over-Matter and Predator.

"Well done indeed," Blackhawk says to Malador, Meglith, Painkiller and Synapse. "I assume we'll see each other later."

He makes his way to the exit, walking slowly through the Lighthouse and recounting the teams actions and reactions in his head. After half an hour of silent reflections, Blackhawk stands in the library abd approaches other teams to find out how they chose their encounters in the simulation, compare them to his team's procedure and to think hard how they could improve their teamwork.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:30 pm

Malador remains quiet as the simulation ends, taking it all in, but offering no comments. He first speaks once Over-Matter and Predator have departed.

"Well," he says in an understated voice. "I'm glad that was just a simulation. Once was more than enough to go through that." Then he pauses and adds, "I'd like to clean up after that workout. But then I think I'm for something to eat. Anyone want to join me in the mess hall for a bit in about twenty minutes?"
Malador would like to get a shower and then head to the mess hall for something to eat. If there are other heroes there (as I suspect there will be) he'd be happy to mingle and compare stories.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:08 pm

"WHAT THE F...!?"

Upon realizing that the entire ordeal was nothing more than a series of rather electronic fabrications, Megalith instantly becomes quite furious. After all, the rocky behemoth really wanted to destroy him a few of the omega drones if at all possible! Once the reality of the situation sinks in however, the stony hero soon finds himself smiling playfully. "I knew it..." he then comments, hoping everyone around him can hear, "I knew it was all just another simulation devised to test us all along..."

Several moments go by and just as the group is beginning to depart for their debriefing, Megalith leans down to Malador and whispers carefully in his ear. "No wonder Over-Matter seems so distant and cold at all times. I mean, what a way to test us here new recruits, Mal. Reliving the day that your daddy died over and over again and all. That shit seems pretty twisted, even to me."
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Joni
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Joni » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:43 am

Synapse is a little numb from the overwhelming tasks that weren't real. "I'll join you in the mess as soon as I get a shower and feel a little more human."

She gets a shower with the hottests water that won't burn her and the experience crushes around her in her mind. She can't control her emotions anymore and cries in the shower.

She emerges clear headed and intact into the mess a little more than the 20 minutes Malador had stated.
~Tina Warrior Physicist~

Anorin
Level 6
Level 6

Mingling

Post by Anorin » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:54 pm

Malador? Feel free to backpost and respond to Megalith if you so wish.
As Blackhawk enters the library he sees a young woman of obvious Spainish descent sitting at a table looking through a book she has a red leotard on and what appears to be a jet pack on the floor next to her. Across from her is an older man with the beginnings of a white beard on his face, a Rifle sitting on the floor and goggles on his head.

Go ahead and describe how you approach them if at all. They do appear to be the only ones in the library.
After you take your shower you head to the mess hall to find its sole occupant a man dressed in trappings you know to be indicative of the druid discipline, he has gray hair and blue eyes, with only a glass of water in front of him. You sense a magic as stong as your own emanating from him, he seems to notice you by the same means nodding in your direction.

Same as Blackhawk, describe approaching him if you wish and we'll start the conversation.
As you are about to enter you hear a voice with a vaguely Australian accent behind you, "rough time?" Turning you see a man in his late thirties with blond hair and green eyes. "Oh, forgive me, my name's Archive." He extends his hand and you hear a voice in your head that you know instantly is Archive's, "and I'm like you."
Edit: Spelling errors
Last edited by Anorin on Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.