Chapter 1: To Join a Team

It has been ten years since Mastermind died defending the world from Omega. The world needed champions, it needed heroes, it needed the Protectors. Five years ago, the world would have fallen without them. One year ago only two watched over the world. The world suffered, it cried for more heroes, for more Protectors. Now the Protectors answer the world'€™s cry calling for heroes from all over the world to join their ranks. Who will answer?
The Protectors is a Mutants & Masterminds 2nd edition campaign. The story follows our heroes to when they first join the exalted ranks of the Protectors, to when they battle fiends powerful enough to destroy entire nations. How will they fare? Only time will tell.

Edited by GM Anorin
Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Re: Mingling

Post by Hayabusa » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:54 am

In the library Blakchawk is confronted with an unusual choice: he either approaches the young woman, who seems to be dependant on gadgets like him, or the older man with the rifle. Naturallly he would begin a conversation with the odler man first, since there's the possibility that he has far more experience in hero-work than the younger woman. But the rifle and the goggles may be connected to a military background. And as far as he's concerned theses men and women have less reservations in killing another being. Especially a twisted, resourceful and ruthless criminal, who cannot be stopped for a longer time and tend to continue their career.

Blackhawk has spent only a second with his considerations and didn't even slow down after he entered the library. So it seems like he wanted to talk to the woman since he decided to head for the library.

"I'm sorry to interrupt you, Miss, but I would like to talk to you. It regards the Protector's recent evaluation," Blackhawk says in a deep voice as he approaches the young woman in the red leotard.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Anorin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Anorin » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:02 am

The young woman looks up from her book and smiles slightly, "certainly." Her voice has barely any accent and is slightly upbeat and friendly, "My team and I only just got down with ours, when did you have yours?"

That's strange, you only just got done with yours as well, it's barely been five minutes and as far as you know there's only one combat simulator.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:20 am

"Not long ago. We left the combat simulator less than an hour ago," Blackhawk replies, feeling confident that no one can see the doubts behind his mask. "Could you tell me where yours took place? Because I'm just coming from the combat simulator."

Anorin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Anorin » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:48 am

She looks confused for a moment, "ours was in the combat simulator... we got out under five minutes ago... are you sure you have your time right?"

The man with the rifle sighs from where he's sitting across the table, "no he's right Sage, my team only got out a few minutes ago too." Sage looks at him for a moment then asks, "Time Travel?" "One option," the man responds, "there are about a dozen ways they could have made this happen, one involves Over-Matter tricking our minds into thinking it was happening, but I was just talking to Esper a few minutes ago and he said there wasn't anything Psychic about it."

Looking at Blackhawk he nods, "I'm Gadge by the way, they claim I'm leading the team from Toronto." Sage looks taken aback for a moment, "oh I'm sorry I didn't introduce myself, I'm Sage from Santiago."

Just then you hear a high pitched scream from the back of the library, clearly a damsel in distress, Gadge's face goes red as he turns in his seat, "Shifter! If you don't knock that the f*ck off I will personal-" Gadge breaks off breathing heavily, "deep breathes, 1-2-3, deep breathes, 1-2-3" he repeats the mantra a few times before he settles down. "Don't mind him," Gadge finally breathes out, "he's a shapeshifter in the Toronto team and going to be the biggest pain in my a$$ including the Super Villains."

"What about you Blackhawk," Sage interrupts diplomatically, attempting the easiest way to change the subject, "where are you from?"

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:07 am

Blackhawk barely flinches at the high pitched scream and when Gadge tells that he shouldn't mind, he doesn't even turn to take a look. Instead he keeps standing two feet away from the table, his eyes fixed on either Sage or Gadge.

"At least he's a good distraction," Blackhawk comments on Shifter. There's no hint of a joke in his voice. "I assume you mean my base of operations. That would be Freedom City. Like any other of my team. Actually I'd be interested how you handled the combat simulator situtaion. We got a little time-skip event, where we were put back to Omega's invasion in Freedom City. What did they set up for you?"

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:52 am

Back in the Simulation Room

"It was certainly a difficult time for him," Malador replies. "Though it was difficult for many as well. Not a time to easily relive, I agree. But a true crucible to measure a person's worth."

In the Mess Hall

As he sees the druidic magician spot him, Malador nods in greeting. But he takes the time to get some food for himself, or at least order it, before he actually approaches the man. "May I join you?" he asks. "I'm due to meet some compatriots here. But I'd very much like the opportunity to meet what other mystics will be joining the Protectors. I suspect we'll have to coordinate on matters of magical danger in the future, as well as aid each other in mystic research. "

He reaches out his hand to the druid. "Malador the Mystic, at your service," he says. "I was trained in Atlantis before the fall."
I'm not entirely sure how the mess hall works (cafeteria style or what), so I left some of the post intentionally vague.

Anorin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Anorin » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:34 am

OOC: The Mess is Cafeteria style today, though the layout is now long wooden tables.

The man stands in greeting and accepts Malador's hand, "they've called me Druid in the past, but I prefer Allen Treespeaker. I would be honored for you to join me Malador." He speaks in a measured pace, reminding you of a tree bending in the wind, this is strangely soothing coupled with a hardly noticeable Welsh accent.

He sits down motioning for Malador to do the same, "it is always an honor to meet other practitioners of the art. Myself I was trained in Ireland in the Sacred Groves years ago by some of our last surviving elders. They trained me in the tradition of Merlin the only Master Mage my order can claim."

"Atlantis you say? Ah, you must be the same Malador who helped Lady Mystic vanquish Harbinger, I dare say many Mages, myself included, are indepted to you for your assistance that day." He gives you a slight bow.

The man seems to realize he's beginning to ramble and pulls himself back, "oh I apologize I tend to drone on, I would be pleased to share any knowledge you wish to know, my own abilities revolve around the plants, manipulating my body to mimic the forms of animals, and the sky. Earth, Fire, and to a lesser extent Water have so far eluded my mastery though I know how to ask for their assistance, each are fickle and do not easily com-"

Again he realizes he's begun to ramble, "oh again I must apologize Malador, my grandson always says I talk people to sleep, how does the sun find you this day?"

OOC: Great, I just had to give you Druid, /sigh, sorry he's pretty long winded
Gadge snorts, "that's one way to put it." Sage frowns, "same overall premise, my team was thrown in the middle of the Llorne invasion, the biggest test seemed to be whether we'd let Deathless die to preserve history."

Gadge sighs, "Same basic job, we were thrown into the middle of Praetor's battle with Protector. I decided to let history be when it came to Protector, but we did help a couple of civilians. Mostly relying on the fact none of the civilians would become metas."

"As far as tactics go," Gadge continued, "I just picked off soldiers and tanks. I ordered Shifter and Paragon to take on Praetor's lieutenants. They didn't do half bad. At the same time, Coyote and Cree took out the rest of the soldiers."

Sage blushes, "I wasn't in a position to know what Coatl did with our team, I was told to take on one of Matriarch's elites and that... lasted a while."

"What'd you do?" Gadge asks brushing aside Sage's lack of knowledge on the subject of her team's performance.
Edit: Wording corrected
Last edited by Anorin on Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:55 am

"It's a pleasure to meet you Allen," Malador replies. Then he happily listens to Druid's rambles, using the opportunity to take a few bites of his meal - vegetarian for the benefit of Druid. "Not at all," he says when Druid apologizes. "I know how it goes. I can spend a week without saying a word, only to fall into a verbal treatise when someone asks me a question." He takes a sip of orange juice.

"And yes," he adds, "I am the one who helped Lady Mystic. But the credit really goes to her. Her actions with Harbinger were something I couldn't have hoped to accomplish. Perhaps in the height of my power back in Atlantis ... and perhaps not even then." False pride was the downfall of many great mages, Malador knew. It lead to jealousy and a greed for power. And so it was something he was constantly on the watch for in himself. "Even among Master Mages, Lady Mystic is in a class by herself."

"So, which group are you with?" he asks, changing the subject. "I'm teamed with Blackhawk, Synapse, Megalith, and Painkiller. I understand they may intend us to protect Freedom City."
Do I have that right? I thought there was a post about that, but I couldn't find it.

Anorin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Anorin » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:24 pm

Allen nods quietly to Malador's remark on verbal treatise, "yes it's the same with me, though it seems from now on our days will be filled with more talking than the days of the past eh Malador?" He chuckles.

When you mention Mystic's power he nods in agreement but surprisingly says nothing.

Allen's eyes shoot open when you mention the teams, "ah yes... I had nearly forgotten, I will be with the London chapter, too much city for my taste but it'll do. My teammates include Jack, Hunter, Grey Knight, and Tank. All have strange capabilities and stories. Hunter for example is a vampire who can walk openly in the sun! Have you ever heard of such a thing? To top things off he only drinks blood from hospitals! He's a vampire with a concious!" Druid laughs a little, "when I was young Vampires were things to be hunted without mercy, some of them still are I suppose since that's Hunter's prey, but still never thought I'd be working with one." Again he laughs, "but Jack trusts him, I suppose I will as well."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:42 pm

"I've learned to accept a great many strange things since I awoke from my aeon-long slumber," Malador says with a slight shake of his head. "Things I'd never dreamed of in lost Atlantis. Some good; some bad. But my first years awake were a constant wonder to me."

"I'm fortunate with my group," he adds. "I've worked with Megalith before, though not a great deal. And Blackhawk had consulted me on some mystic matters. So it wasn't a totally new group for me. Synapse and Painkiller are new. But they seem friendly enough. Have you heard any word about how they'll be setting us up in our cities? Will we work out of here? Will we have some kind of local base of operations? I'm looking forward to seeing how that works out."