Chapter 1: To Join a Team

It has been ten years since Mastermind died defending the world from Omega. The world needed champions, it needed heroes, it needed the Protectors. Five years ago, the world would have fallen without them. One year ago only two watched over the world. The world suffered, it cried for more heroes, for more Protectors. Now the Protectors answer the world'€™s cry calling for heroes from all over the world to join their ranks. Who will answer?
The Protectors is a Mutants & Masterminds 2nd edition campaign. The story follows our heroes to when they first join the exalted ranks of the Protectors, to when they battle fiends powerful enough to destroy entire nations. How will they fare? Only time will tell.

Edited by GM Anorin
Anorin
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mingling

Post by Anorin » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:25 pm

"Your guess is as good as mine." He says shrugging. "Predator implied that it was up to us whether we lived here or on Earth, but I just don't know."

Just then you feel a cold magic, so cold that it causes shivers down your spine. A man dressed in an Egyptian death mask and wrapped in what appears to be ceremonial mummification wrappings comes through the door. Orders some food and goes to the other side of the room to eat, clearly not wishing to be bothered.

Allen watches the man with what could pass as disgust on his face then whispers to Malador, "that's Osiris he's part of the Cairo chapter, I worked with him a few years ago investigating a desecrated grove in France. He's a necromancer at about our level. The man's as cold as they come, I saw him turn the lead cultist into a decaying corpse in a matter of seconds. He even drained another man of all but a little of his life force to make incarcertation easier. Why Mystic invited him I haven't the foggiest."

You've heard a little about Osiris, none of it good. All in all Druid seems right on with his assessment of the man. He does fight evil just far more ruthlessly than either of you.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:04 pm

Malador watches Osiris as he gets his food, but makes no move to greet him. There was no requirement that all Protectors be friendly with each other, only civil. And Osiris was not making trouble.

"I've heard a little about him," Malador says. "And I agree; his methods are not my own." The Atlantean mystic shakes his head. "All of this recruitment makes me wonder if there's some trouble on the horizon." He says nothing about the reasons Mystic spoke about. "It took everyone we could get to beat Omega. And that isn't the only sort of world-threatening danger out there." He takes a spoonful of his soup. "Then again, maybe the founding Protectors are just trying to get the world's heroes used to working together in case of trouble. It's not a bad idea, at that."

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:30 pm

Having finished the simulation, Megalith promptly retires to the weight room where he begins toning his muscles whilst waiting for the mystical energies of his body to once again, return him to normal. If and when the time does indeed come, the young hero then promptly makes his way back into his dorm, where he orders himself a huge plate full of hot pockets and pizza rolls as well as some rather copious amounts of Tahitian fruit punch. Now having settled in for the evening, Megalith then begins to play whatever fighting game he might have on the nearby console. After a while, the lumbering fool quickly grows bored and decides to walk into the hall, looking for the dance floor!
I thought you mentioned something about a Rec Room with a disco hall...might have been mistaken ;-)
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:20 pm

"Like I said. We were in Freedom City only hours before Omega's fall. We encountered Nihil and took him out. And finally we met Over-Matter and Mastermind. It ended with our decision to participate in the final battle," Blackhawk says. "Although I guess you'd have done the same ..."
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Joni
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Joni » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:10 am

Synapse responds to Archive, "Yeah it was pretty grueling." In her head she projects I guess I will have to guard my thoughts a little better around here

She smiles at him as good as she can muster, but she is sure that he knows that the smile is for the comfort of others. And before she can stop it her brain is thinking he is kinda cute.
~Tina Warrior Physicist~

Anorin
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Anorin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:59 am

Druid nods, "I hope this is just 'in case,' I was in England during the Terminus invasion but I still had my share of combat... I do not wish to face a monster like Nihil ever again." He shudders clearly suggesting a rather gruesome brush with the deceased Prince of Nihilor.

"However," he continues, "given the number of mages they have recruited I can't help but wonder if you aren't correct and there is some Magical threat on the horizon."

Several more heroes enter the mess hall at this point. The half-dragon included, he's accompanied by the mousy looking dwarf, they're currently speaking in German. Another man slightly behind them with long blond hair and a sword at his hip goes to retrieve some food asking something after them in German, they answer promptly.
Subtitles for the audience

Drake: "I don't see what the problem is, its not like I ate all of that drone."
Dwer: "That's besides the point if you eat even a little of them the-"
Siegfried: "Shut it both of you! Dwer his powers include his maw, and he didn't swallow..." *looks at Drake sternly* "Right?"
Drake: "uh... right!"
Siegfried: *shakes head* "I'm getting some food, you want anything?"
Dwer: "Some chicken and milk would be lovely."
Drake: "How 'bout some raw lamb, still alive if possible."
Dwer: "Ugh, never mind I just lost my apetite."
The final man to enter is dressed from head to toe in power armor, the eye holes give off a pale blue light, the body is painted similar to the British Flag.

Just think Captain Britain only Power Armor

The man in power armor stops at your table and asks in an electrically garbled voice, "may I join you?" Druid looks up, "Jack! Certainly sit down sit down! Jack this is Malador, Malador this is my friend Jack."

Jack releases a few locks on his head and removes his helmet revealing a black haired green eyed youth, "nice to meet you Malador." He says extending his hand and shaking yours (if you offer) before sitting.
Megalith makes his way to the weight room to begin his work out. There are several heroes here mostly working out at the more mundane machines. An attractive blond woman of Russian descent runs on a treadmill. While a man dressed in a black Ninja's Gi is doing hand stand pushups with fifty pounds each on his feet. Another man dressed in a black combat suit with a mask that reminds you of Snake eyes from G.I. Joe is doing what appears to be Tai chi in an open area next to the boxing ring. One woman and a man are playing a pickup game of basketball in the court. The woman is in gym clothes and has her black hair tied in a pony tail. The man is an older Australian man with fading blond hair.

You see the man that was introduced to you as Xenos still working on that monster of a machine, easily doing squats with 50 tons on his shoulders.

Go ahead and describe what you do. The only machines that would give you a challenge are nearer to Xenos.
Gadge shutters, "not sure I would have, I was there the first time. Not something I'm too eager to relive."

Sage smiles, "we had to defend Mystic from Matriarch at one point, she may be on Nihil's level, but nowhere near Omega. Did your team fight Omega?" She seems vaguely impressed that you were so willing to sacrifice yourself.

Gadge's mouth tightens when she says that name but he doesn't say anything.
Archive nods, "yeah ours was too, had to convince Jeremiah not to go running after Over-Matter when all was said and done."

Archive laughs, Considering 7 of the ten most powerful Psychics in the world are up here, that's probably a good idea. He only smiles slightly at the thought that he's cute.

Continuing before Synapse gets too embarrassed, "anyway I was heading into the Mess Hall, you care to join me?"
Edit: minor issues move along
Last edited by Anorin on Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:14 am

"I'm afraid we didn't, Sage," Blackhawk responds. "And I'm glad we didn't have to, especially since we weren't sure if it was a simulation or an actual time skip. Not that I've ever experienced one before. Although Malador might have some hindsight in this regard."

"Do you actually use this in combat?" Blackhawk asks with a nod towards her jetpack.
Typing on my Palm is a damn pain in the ass.
And I met Max_Power today. Work has screwed over his free time. He's in a 12 days shift. Again. But he said he'll make a post tomorrow.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:17 pm

Megalith cares little for the guy from Tekken (ninja) or even Snake Eye's #1 fan. He does however, pause for several moments in order to watch the attractive Russian woman jog in place upon the treadmill. Mmmm.... the rocky hero quickly ponders I sure do love the way you bounce baby! After ogling the woman for a wee bit longer, the bulky behemoth then promptly makes his way over towards Xenos. "Whassup..." is the question asked by Megalith with nothing more than a simple nod of his head. And what a head nod it is! <- Easter Island man remember?
Ad-libbing here, feel free to rectify as needed...
Staring at all the strange machinery about him, Megalith soon finds himself intrigued by a rather odd-looking set of over-sized dumbbells. Fitted with various dials and settings, the devices appear to be some form of a gravo-magnetic weight set, each dumbbell fitted with up to some 30 off tons of resistance. Smiling playfully, Megalith then sets each of the dumbbells' settings to 10 tons and promptly begins performing a rigid series of arm curls. As he does so, he continues to watch both the Russian woman and Xenos. As the stony lummox proceeds to curl his weights, a melodic trill is soon heard emanating from his body. Given enough time, the hero will eventually resume his human status once again. In the meantime however, its time to work on the cardio!
Continue working on high rep/low weight arm curls and then a rigid series of bench press, military press, sit ups, and squats. Being super strong and having the endurance feat, I'd assume that this is something he'd do. Most likely 25 tons on the upper body stuff, being somewhere in the middle of a light and medium encumbrance. If Xenos wants to chat, it's all good ;-)
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:27 pm

"Pleased to meet you," Malador says, rising briefly to take Jack's hand. "I'm happy to have a chance to get to know our counterparts across the world. I'm sure we'll be working together on larger threats. Best that we learn each others names and capabilities early." He takes a sip of juice. "And it doesn't hurt to try and get to like each other either."

Joni
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Joni » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:00 am

"I'm supposed to meet one of my teammates in here, but I would love to talk to another like myself."

She looks around for Mal seeing him engaged in conversation she nods her head and gives the inpression that she is there, but joining someone else at the moment.
~Tina Warrior Physicist~