Prelude - The Pit: Ashes and Cinder

The Age of Magic is ended, Bhall, the Goddess of Fire, has succumbed to the whispers of Agares and fallen into Hell. Her worshipers and creations driven mad, and fire, which has been a powerful ally to man, has turned against him. Each good god was charged with the opposition of an evil god. Bhall was responsible for balancing Mulcarn, the God of Winter. Finding himself unopposed Mulcarn has broken The Compact and moved into Creation.

Creation was on the verge of another open war between the gods, that which they had outlawed with The Compact. To keep that from happening a deal was struck and the gods agreed that one god would enter Creation to challenge Mulcarn. That was Sucellus, the God of Nature. The two gods battled across the face of Creation, entire civilizations still recovering from the Burning Skies that marked the fall of Bhall were destroyed by their power. In the end Sucellus was killed and Mulcarn remained.

The Eternal Winter has begun...
Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Re: Prelude - The Pit: Ashes and Cinder

Post by MadVlat » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:10 pm

"Because, I am proof that there is something beyond this place. Something that offers hope to those who have only known misery. Proof that those you now protect could be children and not victims. Come with me and together we can give them that chance". Ellsbeth now completely ignores the other children focusing everything on Vren. The paladin's eyes filled with hope and caring...

paradoxa
Level 12
Level 12

Post by paradoxa » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:04 pm

Vren doesn't answer at once. She looks to the other children, from little Jak to Griet hiding behind Gunner, and last his unlikely twin sister, Nessa, the tainted one. They have been a good team, Nessa and her, but Vren remembers too well how some people react to the taint, calling Nessa a demon child was one of the kinder responses.

She wants to believe this will come to a good end, but all that she has experienced until know warns her against being lulled. She had hope everything would somehow be all right when they were driven out of the safety of the old castle's ruins where she was born. When people started dying like flies, from diseases, foul water, and constant attacks. When the raiders surprised them and the kids where brought away to hide. When their sole guardian went after the slavers. But he never came back. Nothing ever got better, quite the opposite. It's utterly foolish to hope. But still...

"Where'd you go?", she asks, taking a half burned stick and poking at the fire, seemingly unmoved, but her voice, husky with emotion, betrays her.

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:55 pm

"I would do the best that I can to see you safely to Peptine. I will not fill your head with the idea that it will be an easy trek. But I can give you my word that I shall stay with you for the journey and do all that I can to protect you". Ellsbeth raises a hand and offers it to Vren. Leaving the decision to her whether to accept it or not...

paradoxa
Level 12
Level 12

Post by paradoxa » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:11 am

Vren just stares at the extended hand for some long moments, like in a haze.
With the rush of adrenaline wearing off, it's getting harder to stay alert and think through all the thing that could be wrong with that suggestion. It's all too good to be true. If only she was strong enough to deal with all those dangers in the ruins on her own, then they wouldn't need any help... but as things are, she has reached her limits.

"Can't be any worse than here... s'pose we could travel to Peptine together. "

Her response is reluctant, far from enthusiastic, as she can't quite shake off the feeling she's admitting a weakness to a complete stranger.
Vren grasps Ellsbeth's hand for a brief handshake.

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:24 am

"Good now that that is settled would you be so kind as to repack my things while I finish working on the boy. You should rest for awhile, we will leave at first light if that is your wish". Ellsbeth motions for the boy to come to her. Her eyes suddenly shift to meet Vrens and she utters a quiet statement to the girl, "You have shown a great strength to have gotten these children this far. Let us hope that your fortitude can endure the journey ahead"...

paradoxa
Level 12
Level 12

Post by paradoxa » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:51 am

Vren is suddenly very awkward with that kind of closeness. Feeling childishly snubbed by the natural authority with which Ellsbeth gives her orders, she quickly averts her eyes.

Not wanting to confront Ellsbeth again, she instead turns back to the other kids, and with that her own sphere of authority.

"Allright.. give her things back. Yes, all of them. "

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:50 pm

There is a collective *awwwe do we have to* sort of reply from the gang of kids, but they give him without much heyhawing. Eventually all the things are sloppily pack back up into the sack and given back to Ellsbeth.

Nessa pulls Vren aside a moment, "Are we really leaving? Are we really going to finally get out of this place?" She seems both hopefull and doubtfull. Growning up they all heard tales of a time and a place long ago and far away, and the idea that maybe, just maybe they will escape this hell is weighing on the young girl.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

paradoxa
Level 12
Level 12

Post by paradoxa » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:34 pm

"We are going to a better place. " Even if she's not perfectly confident that this is true, Vren smiles, wanting to give Nessa some hope.
"You saw all those nice things that woman has... they're all from there. "

After a short glance to assure that Ellsbeth is busy with Jak and not listening to their conversation, Vren lowers her voice.
"But don't get over-excited - we're not there yet. I'm counting on you, we still need to keep our eyes open... even if she's all big words, I'd rather see deeds before really trusting her. "

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:43 am

Ellsbeth cleans Jak's wounds thoroughly bandaging the worst one on his hand when finished. During the process she pays little attention to the other children, instead humming a small tune as she works...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:38 pm

Nessa nods, "I won't let you down Vren." She stands up, puffs her chest out and then smacks the back of her brother's head, "Get ready brother, we are going to leave this wretched place, stop standing around picking your nose. Its time to go." Grunner staggers forward, he was in fact pikcing his nose and that smack took him by surprise. He snarls at his sister, but before he can do anything Jak comes running up to him, his knees patched up and Ellsbeth's work on them done.

There is a howl, a ferral dog of some kind. Its nearer than before. Another howl echos the first, this one from the south, a second one. You've all been through this before, the Pit Hounds are coming, they are circling you from the west and the south, and they won't take long to pick up your trail and find you.

Nessa looks at Vren, "What do we do?"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring