Prelude - The Pit: Ashes and Cinder

The Age of Magic is ended, Bhall, the Goddess of Fire, has succumbed to the whispers of Agares and fallen into Hell. Her worshipers and creations driven mad, and fire, which has been a powerful ally to man, has turned against him. Each good god was charged with the opposition of an evil god. Bhall was responsible for balancing Mulcarn, the God of Winter. Finding himself unopposed Mulcarn has broken The Compact and moved into Creation.

Creation was on the verge of another open war between the gods, that which they had outlawed with The Compact. To keep that from happening a deal was struck and the gods agreed that one god would enter Creation to challenge Mulcarn. That was Sucellus, the God of Nature. The two gods battled across the face of Creation, entire civilizations still recovering from the Burning Skies that marked the fall of Bhall were destroyed by their power. In the end Sucellus was killed and Mulcarn remained.

The Eternal Winter has begun...
Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Prelude - The Pit: Ashes and Cinder

Post by Vardaen » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:27 pm

I think the problem is here you are a stranger showing up in the middle of the night suddenly just taking over. OUCH TOES! And since the kids just lost their entire adult population to slavers, anyone is a threat that doesn't come in calm and tip toe around them.

Lets make sure all this stays IC, which I know isn't an issue. I think its all good RP and lets just keep it that way. No one should be feeling badly OOCly, I hope.
Ellsbeth sets out a kit and touches Jak's skinned knees.

*WHACK*

Then everything goes black for the Paladin.

Some time later Ellsbeth's eyes flutter open, she laying next to a small fire, a group of young kids are sitting up chatting in whispers among one another. All of Ellsbeth's belongings are scattered about near the fire and the gang seems to be debating who will get what of the items, and what to do with the woman. One voice speaks, its Nessa, "...but she doesn't look like a slaver, and her stuff isn't a slavers. Jak's knee already does look better. I think, well I think she really is here to help us. Maybe she's an angel sent from Junil?" There is hope in her voice.
So during Ellsbeth brief time unconsiouce all the kids have been woken up, and all of the woman's gear has been riffled through!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:44 pm

A little tender from her efforts Ellsbeth manages a slight smile and announces she is awake, "An angel of Junil, no I am but a humble servant of the divine. If you still do not trust my intentions then allow me to gather my things and I will leave you in peace. For I am sure there are others in these accursed lands who could use my help"...

paradoxa
Level 12
Level 12

Post by paradoxa » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:14 pm

"You're goin' nowhere. " Vren states, confident now that she has the situation under control.

She shakes her head, amazed at the behavior of their mysterious guest. Why anyone would do something like that clearly beyond her grasp, she can't make any sense of it.

"What are you doing here, anyway? I mean, you're on your own, I had a look outside. You don't know us. There's people that would kill you just for that nice cloak of yours... and yet you come in, just like that... that's... stupid!"

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:27 pm

"Foolish, possibly but only of kind intent I assure you. Junil has visited my dreams and I have left the safety of Peptine to fulfill his will. So if you can not trust what your heart tells you, simply release me and I will find others who would be grateful to recieve my help". There is no malice in the paladin's voice or actions. Ellsbeth simply moving to warm her hands over the small flame, "Are the boys wounds better?"...

paradoxa
Level 12
Level 12

Post by paradoxa » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:58 pm

"It was just a few scratches. But it does look better. He'll be fine. ", the black-haired girl says with a short side glance to the youngest child. For some reason she seems to be more on guard now, speaking for him instead of letting him answer the question himself.

"Others grateful to receive help? Well, I'm sure every new slave helps those Calabim bastards a lot.. as would stripping your corpse of everything that looks valuable. The pit hounds would gladly gnaw off the rest... nothing is wasted around here." She points out those possibilities with a cynicism that makes her seem older, all traces of childhood naivety erased by life in this harsh world, in which one has to grow up quickly to survive.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:03 pm

Nessa points at the woman, "How did you know his knees were hurt? Are you stalking us?" She steps infront of the youngest Jak, hands on her hips. She backs any play that Vren make. the small fire crackles and sputters, its mostly coals now and a dancing red-organe glow is cast over the small interior of the building. The kids are huddled up around the pile of Ellsbeth's things which are scattered about the room like so much rubble and debris. Jak touches his one knee where some of the salve was applied, he squeeks out, "Knee no hurt no more." And a quick look proves his words true, the red marks are faded to only a light pink.

Gunner is silent, his hands in fists, and Greit seems a bit afraid all together and doesn't speak at all at this point just standing behind Vren unsure what to do.

Someplace in the far distance the howl of a dog is heard.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:14 pm

"You don't think me foolish enough to simply charge in blind do you? I have watched you since some time yesterday. That is how I knew the boy was hurt". Ellsbeth looks up at the sound of the howl then back to the children. "I would not wait too long to make up your mind however. For you are not all that I have observed in this place"...
Flavor, yeah baby. I'm having a good time regardless of the needless pain inflicted upon my character...

paradoxa
Level 12
Level 12

Post by paradoxa » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:53 pm

Vren is really relieved to hear Jak talking, she even smiles for a short moment. He's been far too quiet, after all that happened, with his mother gone and his sister dead... so it's good to hear his voice again.
But she can't allow herself to get distracted right now. After all, she's responsible for those kids. So her features harden again.

"You followed us? Then why didn't you help us then? Against the Pit Hounds?"
Vren is still suspicious.
"Not that we needed your help...", she hastily adds. "But it would have proven your intentions. "
Meh?

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:13 pm

"I did not see you attacked that is why. If I had, I probably wouldn't have this knot on the side of my head". Ellsbeth allows her head to drop slightly as if finding something hidden amoungst the embers of the fire. "This is no place for children. Come with me and let us be done with this hellish ruin". The paladins eyes still do not look up and there is the hint of sorrow in her voice. A minute passes and her face raises from the flames, her eyes looking through the apparent leader of the band of children. "You have done well to protect them so far, so do not be so quick to put them at risk again. Let me take the burden from your shoulders that you may rest". The woman's words seemingly talking to Vren's very soul...

paradoxa
Level 12
Level 12

Post by paradoxa » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:45 pm

Vren would give a lot for a moment to rest... but even more to keep them all alive. So she still struggles against the alluring offer. If she feels bad about knocking out the other woman, she doesn't show it.

"Come with you? Where? We don't have anywhere to go... at least the ruins offer some protection... so why swap known dangers with the unknown?"
Their families haven't left the ruins for a reason, so she finds it hard to consider this option, even though her own knowledge of the outside world is more than limited.