Prelude - Graceful Oaks: Portents and Omens

The Age of Magic is ended, Bhall, the Goddess of Fire, has succumbed to the whispers of Agares and fallen into Hell. Her worshipers and creations driven mad, and fire, which has been a powerful ally to man, has turned against him. Each good god was charged with the opposition of an evil god. Bhall was responsible for balancing Mulcarn, the God of Winter. Finding himself unopposed Mulcarn has broken The Compact and moved into Creation.

Creation was on the verge of another open war between the gods, that which they had outlawed with The Compact. To keep that from happening a deal was struck and the gods agreed that one god would enter Creation to challenge Mulcarn. That was Sucellus, the God of Nature. The two gods battled across the face of Creation, entire civilizations still recovering from the Burning Skies that marked the fall of Bhall were destroyed by their power. In the end Sucellus was killed and Mulcarn remained.

The Eternal Winter has begun...
Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Prelude - Graceful Oaks: Portents and Omens

Post by Trogdor » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:21 pm

Celevan nods. "The lengthening Winter is making itself felt everywhere," he says, as Dancer laments the poor harvest. Already, he has started speaking of Winter as a monolithic entity. Then, when Dancer asks him to explain, Celevan adds, "I should be glad to."

"I've settled near a town called Falcon's Hollow, just south of Darkwood Vale," he begins. "Winter has come early to Falcon's Hollow, as it has everywhere. And with Winter comes disease. A certain cold weather fungus has taken hold far more fiercely than ever it should at this time of year. I warned the townsfolk, but they thought my worries were unfounded, and too minor to pay much heed to with everything else that is going on. And now they are paying the price for their short-sightedness." The oriny of his words do not escape him.

"In short, they took my warnings too lightly and now one of Falcon's Hollow's main springs is infected. People have started getting sick. And I'm convinced that it's just going to get worse. I came here hoping that the Elohim could help. I had thought they might send a druid to help me figure out why the mold has come so soon to Darkmoon Vale. The cold weather is the obvious answer. But it's not impossible that there's something else behind it. I'd also hoped for some help with the illness in town. I'm afraid my own skills fall short when it comes to tending to the sick."

"The elders disagree with my concern," he continues. "And I can understand that they have much to worry about. But weeds should be removed when first they sprout, lest they take hold of the entire garden." He shakes his head sadly. "Thankfully, Dancer is of the same mind. He's convinced them to allow him to send you to help investigate."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:03 am

Dreams looks a bit abstracted for a moment, then says, "I would be honored to take on such a mission." In reality, she is a bit excited and uneasy at the prospect. It will be her first mission of any sort. The prospect of traveling and seeing some of the places she has read of it her books intrigues her--but she is not sure she is ready for a real mission. She asks Blue Eyes, "What sort of library is there in Darkmoon Vale? Has anyone done any research on the history of this fungus?" Despite her training as a holy warrior, her first instincts are still those of a scholar.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:48 am

Celevan can't help but smile at Dream's question. "The zealots might have a few books. So might Brikasnurd who runs the general store. And I'm sure the magistrate has something in writing. But none of them will do us any good for research." He rubs his chin. "The vale itself is mostly uninhabited, except for the lumber camps and a few other settlers. I'm afraid it's not a very scholarly place."

"There was the dwarven monastery," he adds. "It's north of the vale and on the opposite side from Falcon's Hollow, and definitely out of the way. But no ones lived there for ages. With no one else nearby, I'd turned to the Elohim for help, for obvious reasons."
DM Edit to correct minor error with Trogdor's post about dwarves.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:53 am

Dreams looks vaguely disappointed at the news of the lack of scholarly resources. "Well, I have some modest healing skills I can offer the poor people of Falcon's Hollow. And we can see if some fell force we can defeat lies behind this blight." She pauses for a moment, then says, "Would it help to take some time to see what the library here might have to say? Or have you already done such research yourself?"

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Post by Wayloss » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:30 am

"I will do as you ask Dancer at the Gates of Dawn, my duty for shelter and your teaching. Though I am hardly a scholar or naturalist to explain this fungus. It is still my honor to help Celevan in whatever way I might prove useful." Syrronas bows to dancer as he speaks, waiting for more of a plan to be developed.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:57 am

Dancer holds up a hand, "Now wait a moment Blue Eye, we aren't sure that the Blackscour has started a plague in Falcon's Hollow, nor are we sure how many of these humans are truely sick, if any." He looks at the other two, "Go and investigate the depth of this trouble, and see if there is anything more behind the appearance of the fungus, though I have my own suspicious. We can not spare any others, and such a simple task should be more than within both of your abilities." He inhales the cold crisp air of Fall deeply. "You are you set out at once, Celevan knows the way to Falcon's Hollow, so stay together. Send word if you can, or if you need to, but you may consider yourself on Errand Reluctant Follow of Dreams, so do what you must, and return when you like as long as you further our goals you are free now for a time to travel and adventure, to wet your feet in the greater world. Becareful for you may find things fare more difficult out there than you expect." He looks to Syrronas, "And as for you Burning Heart of Fire, as long as you remain with Dreams, then you may also remain outside the Haven. Leave her side, or attempt to escape your debt to the Elohim and we shall know it, and you shall know it." He then bows to all three. "Do you have any other questions?"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:36 am

"No," Celevan replies. "But I do wish to apologize. You've been very supportive of me here. And I don't want you to think I don't appreciate it." He sighs. "But I do feel strongly about this. And I do fear that my worries are not unfounded. Unfortunately, that sometimes causes me to get carried away." He manages a smile. "I hope very much to report to you that I was overreacting terribly. But either way, I'll try and send word about what we find as soon as we know more."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:05 pm

The Knight Champion nods to Celevan, "For everyone's sake let us pray to the Memory of Sucellus that this is a just a minor patch of naturally occuring Blackscour and that nothing shall come of it. The implications otherwise could be far more dangerous if its something else." He then reaches into his pouch and produces a small bag, "Take this with you, perhaps it will help. Offically I'm not suposed to even give you this, but unoffically the others can be a bit short sighted at times." He hands the small pouch to Dreams, not Celevan. "Its Eloth'lirien Root, in the vulgar tongue of man, Elfroot. It may help you treat any infection, but its no cure for anything."
Elfroot: [Herb] - Eloth'lirien Root, or commongly called Elfroot is a non magical herb found near old growth forests. It is common among southern Elohim Havens, and until recently was also common among northern forests as well, however the encroaching cold weather has make it harder and harder to find in the north. It is easily harvested and is said to assit in healing and the purging of impurities from the body.

Using Elfroot while making a Healing Skill Check grants the user a +2 (unnamed) bonus to the check.

This pouch has 10 doses in it.

Updated Dreams' Sheet.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:54 pm

Dreams bows to Dancer and smiles broadly at him. "Thank you, both for the Eloth'lirien and the trust you place in me. I will strive to be worthy of it." She directs a discreet glance Syronnas's ways, aware that Dancer probably wants her to keep an eye on the half-civilized sorcerer.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:02 pm

Celevan bows his head to Dancer. It's not the deeper bow Dreams gave him. But it is respectful. "My thanks as well," he says. "You've shown both me and the warnings I've brought great respect. I hope, with the blessings of Nantosuelta, that the news we report will be good."