Prelude - Graceful Oaks: Portents and Omens

The Age of Magic is ended, Bhall, the Goddess of Fire, has succumbed to the whispers of Agares and fallen into Hell. Her worshipers and creations driven mad, and fire, which has been a powerful ally to man, has turned against him. Each good god was charged with the opposition of an evil god. Bhall was responsible for balancing Mulcarn, the God of Winter. Finding himself unopposed Mulcarn has broken The Compact and moved into Creation.

Creation was on the verge of another open war between the gods, that which they had outlawed with The Compact. To keep that from happening a deal was struck and the gods agreed that one god would enter Creation to challenge Mulcarn. That was Sucellus, the God of Nature. The two gods battled across the face of Creation, entire civilizations still recovering from the Burning Skies that marked the fall of Bhall were destroyed by their power. In the end Sucellus was killed and Mulcarn remained.

The Eternal Winter has begun...
Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Prelude - Graceful Oaks: Portents and Omens

Post by Muskrat » Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:59 pm

Dreams listens intently. When Blue Eyes is finished, she says, "Thank you for sharing your tale. I had heard bits and pieces of it while in Graceful Oaks, as well as some rumors that were apparently not true. We seem to be somewhat alike, in that the gods have sent us dreams to guide us. Mine were not so vivid and clear and, to be frank, I did want to pay them any regard at first. I was happy with what I was doing--I was training as a scholar up at the Haven of the Nine Waterfalls. I had met a young elf to whom I became betrothed." Her voice takes on a noticeably more sad quality as she says this. "But my sleep was troubled by strange dreams. Indeed, it still is. The Elders told me that it was a sign of a calling from the gods--but it was not the calling I wanted to hear, to be a historian and dwell among the books of the great library at Nine Waterfalls. No, they told me I was called to be a paladin, to join the Holy Order of the Watchful Sword. As you probably know, it has a long history among our people, but for most of that time, it had been small. With the fall of Bhall and the great Pit torn open into Hell, it perforce grew, to deal with the evil outsiders that had been unleashed on the world. I thought it a noble thing--but not one I wanted to join. So I continued with my studies." She pauses and looks distinctly gloomy now. "Then the Frostlings came. They ravaged Nine Waterfalls, burned the library and every last book in it to the ground and--" Here, her voice breaks and she chokes back a sob. "--and they killed my betrothed." Her visage now takes on a dark and angry look. "So then I saw that I had little choice--if I wanted to save the things I loved--the great learning and lore of our people, those I cared for--I would have to give up my studies and follow the dreams the gods sent me. Thus, my name." She looks away from the fire, out into the night. "It's ironic I suppose--the Frostlings, in a sense, convinced me to follow this path when our Elders couldn't."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:13 pm

"How well I understand that life often turns us in unexpected directions." Celevan nods slowly as he speaks. "The fall of Bhall and the death of Sucellus changed everything. None of us can have the idyllic lives we'd hoped for. Instead we'll have to fight hard just to save what little we can."

The aasimar looks up and gives Dreams a sympathetic look. "I am sorry for your loss," he says. "Having both your vocation and your love taken in a single blow must have been devastating. I apologize if my testiness added to your grief. I've been frustrated at the response of the elders and I suppose I was taking a little of that frustration out on you."

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Post by Wayloss » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:33 am

"We are all scarred, and marked. Thank you for sharing your tales." Syrronas makes to stand. "I think we should take watch, I can take either the first or the last watch."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:54 am

"I can take the mid watch," Celevan offers. "My night vision is probably better than either of yours."
As I recall, V, you're not too picky about sleep and spells. So long as you get your sleep, it's not a problem if it comes in two pieces.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:21 am

"I'll take the first watch," Dreams volunteers. "I don't feel like going to sleep immediately." Actually, she rarely looks forward to sleep, with the dreams it brings.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:34 pm

I'm not that picky. As long as you get a fulls nights rest, I allow refresh of spells. Now then, I don't see in the Pathfinder rules where Elves get the 4 hour trance, and don't sleep, etc. However, I believe in the other Age of Ice game Saeldur does have the Revery, and well, that's a rather large thing to have different between the two. It also helps to explain why they are immune to sleep spells.
The three determine some sort of sleeping order so that someone is awake to keep guard over the others. Out here in the wild its never a bad idea to set some sort of watch up, there are after all all manner of dangerous beasts and people about here in the north. So the three spend their night in the elven trance that their people share. The night passes quickly, and quietly with no troubles coming to them. Morning dawn with a thick layer of frost on the ground. The wind is cold from the north, and the sky is cloudy, the sun hidden behind. The frost will have come and killed any chance of the pumpkins back in Graceful Oaks from growing larger. It will be a lean winter this year for the Elohim there.

The three elves, all rather distinct, go about their morning rituals before and after a short and quick breakfast repast is taken.
Since this is your first camp. I've love to see morning ritual post from everyone so I know what to expect the rest of the time.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:07 pm

Celevan becomes aware quickly the first time he's called. He unfolds the cloak around him and stands from the cross-legged position he'd stayed in during his trance. Once up, he pauses only long enough to mutter the words to a minor protective enchantment. After this, he stretches both arms and legs, wishing a good morning to his three companions. Finally, he sits back down, pulls off his boots, and changes the boot liners he wears.

He neatly folds his bedroll and puts it back in his pack, then gets up to gather his snares and check whether they caught anything during the night. While out, he also keeps his eyes open for anything else that might be good to eat - autumn nuts or berries, herbs for flavoring food, etc. Bringing any of his finds back to the camp, he then grabs his waterskin and any others that needs filling and heads to whatever source of water they'd found near the camp. There he takes a long drink, washes his hands, and either splashes copious amounts of water on his face, or dunks his whole head in the icy water, if practicable. Next, the old boot liners get rinsed, wrung out, and hung on his belt. Finally, after filling the skins, he returns to the center of camp.

Food is the next order of business. He tends the fire and sets a small metal pot of water - more of a metal cup, really - to heat, and fills it with some dried herbs to make a refreshing tisane. If the others are interested, he'll make enough for them as well. The boot liners come off his belt and go on a branch stuck in the ground near the fire to dry. Breakfast is some reheated boar from the previous night, perhaps with nuts or berries, if he was lucky in his foraging. All this is shared in equal parts with the others.

During the course of his morning preparations he's friendly, if not overly talkative. It's clear that he has a routine for breaking camp, and he falls into it easily. He's happy to answer any questions, or even ask the others to help with it - this morning he'll ask them to see about kindling a new fire for breakfast. But it's clear that he's done this hundreds of times before and does it almost without thinking.
Cast Endure Elements on myself. I don't have the fur that Suli does. ;-)

Marked off on Google Docs.

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Post by Wayloss » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:44 am

Syrronas leaves his trance early, those on watch note he does not trance peacefully he jumps and thrashes occasionally as his rest is perhaps plagued with dark and unsettling thoughts. He clutches his chest as he returns to normal. Clearly he has memory of whatever terror crossed his revelrie. He quickly ties up his traveling roll as he waits for Dreams to Awaken. As soon as the Paladin is alert Syrronas seeks him out.
"Dreams, I have need of you. I would like to pray." Dreams is familiar with Syrronas seeking a member of the order first thing in the morning.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:04 am

Wayloss, just a note, Dreams is a her, not a him.
Dreams' trance was a restless one--she obviously had vivid dreams while in reverie, not all of them pleasant. She awakens slowly and groggily, then does some of the physical exercises she learned in paladin training to wake herself up more fully. When Syrronas approaches her about prayer, she says, "Yes, certainly. I was going to pray myself--let us do so together." She adds, "Blue Eyes, you may join us if you wish." She kneels on the ground next to Syrronas. She prays aloud, holding his hand in hers, saying, "I pray to all the good and holy gods, to the memory of Secullus and Bhall who were, and to Junil and Lugus, who watch over us and protect us, to stand by your servants in the coming day. Guard us from peril; make our hearts strong that we may be compassionate in the face of sorrow and courageous in the face of danger; our minds and senses keen so that we may see clearly and know good from evil; and our bodies strong so that we may defend the innocent from harm. And," she adds for Syrronas's sake, "guard us from corruption and despair in a world tainted by the work of the evil gods."

When she has finished her prayers, she helps with the kindling as Blue Eyes suggested. She is aware that she knows little about wilderness survival, having focused on her books for so long, and knows that she would be wise to learn something of it.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:29 am

Celevan bows his head reverently when Dreams and Syrronas start their prayers. But if they go on for more than few moments he slips quietly away to finish his morning preparations.