Prelude - Rockmaw Run: Heart and Hammer

The Age of Magic is ended, Bhall, the Goddess of Fire, has succumbed to the whispers of Agares and fallen into Hell. Her worshipers and creations driven mad, and fire, which has been a powerful ally to man, has turned against him. Each good god was charged with the opposition of an evil god. Bhall was responsible for balancing Mulcarn, the God of Winter. Finding himself unopposed Mulcarn has broken The Compact and moved into Creation.

Creation was on the verge of another open war between the gods, that which they had outlawed with The Compact. To keep that from happening a deal was struck and the gods agreed that one god would enter Creation to challenge Mulcarn. That was Sucellus, the God of Nature. The two gods battled across the face of Creation, entire civilizations still recovering from the Burning Skies that marked the fall of Bhall were destroyed by their power. In the end Sucellus was killed and Mulcarn remained.

The Eternal Winter has begun...
Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Re: Prelude - Rockmaw Run: Heart and Hammer

Post by Grimbold » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:56 pm

Heartened by his brother's success, Torias grabs his axe and shield and runs up to the fallen fiend. He is right behind him and finds himself at his brother's side. He lets out a ferocious battle cry <Kilmor> "You will let us pass, you abominable brute!!!" With that he brandishes his rune covered axe and the shield he so diligently wrote on all the important passages and sayings of Kilmorph. He picks one to suit the current situation as he runs: <Kilmor> "Let your strikes rain down on your foes as you hammer hot steel on an anvil!"

He remembers the standard battle training years ago and Captain Helrak who taught all the young dwarves to fight. He remembers the cave they met in and did their weapons drill every morning for a year. He was already more of a scholar then and said he did not like it, working out every day of the training, with hammer, axe and other weapons. It kept him from his religious studies and anyway, he would never need it, really. His brother, in the same training class, urged him on. And after some weeks, he started to enjoy it more and more, his dwarfish ancestry showing and reasoning, that this training might come in handy some time. And he never forgot anything ever.

And so, now, the very training he had loathed so much at the beginning is kicking in as he takes his position next to his brother: <Kilmor> "Hammer and Anvil, remember this maneuver?"
Edited: I forgot movement, Wulf is right. Run Action - NW, Nx8, NE. Sorry.
Last edited by Grimbold on Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:05 pm

"Aye brother," Torrak replies admirably as he sees his brother standing next to him, "I remember..." He then turns towards the fallen bugbear and adds, his heart filled with a mixture of anger, hatred, and love for his brother, "Hammer and Anvil!"
Grimbold forgot to post his movement. Since I 'advised' him on it, it is as follows: Run Action - NW, Nx8, NE. He should be just to the right of me at the end of his movement.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:03 pm

Round 1 Initiative: Torrak 17.5, Torias 14.2, Bugbear 3.1
Torias remembers his battle training, and he can see the wisdom in it this day, even if he didn't when he first began it all those years ago. He charges foeward shouting a chant of Kilmorph and the dwarves. He comes up alongside his brother, the pair of them now looming over the downed Bugbear.
Run. You are 1E of Torrak
Then the bugbear, spitting in anger, starts to roll up to his feet. He exposes himself to the two dwarves, but has little other options. As he stands Torrak kicks him right in the shoulder plate of it armor, doing the heavily armored bugbear no harm. It is Torias however, that strikes the bugbear with his axe that wounds the beast. The dwarven axe held in one hand chops down into the flank of the bugbear, slicing through its armor and into its flesh causing it to scream, "<Orc> I kill you now for dat!" Even as Torais is withdrawing his axe the bugbear's large morning start comes swinging around at his weapon side. The mace like weapon slams into the cleric's shoulder crunching bone, and piercing flesh with its spiked head. Torias hasn't felt such pain since that day as a child when Torrak pushed him off the top bunk and he broke his collar bone on the stone floor. Staggering to the side Torais can't help but cry out in pain and shock.
Bugbear: Stand [AoO: Torrak: 14 Miss, AoO: Torias 18 Hit for 5 Dmg],
Attack Torias: 22 Hit for 6 dmg! @ 4 Hps Left

I'm remembering your +1 vs Orc/Goblins too, don't worry.
Round 2 Initiative: Torrak 17.5, Torias 14.2, Bugbear 3.1
Torrak and then his brother...
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:36 pm

"NOOOOO..." Torrak screams aloud as he sees his brother in pain and injured. The generally calm and stoic dwarf then proceeds to drop his quarterstaff upon the ground and begins to wildly bum-rush the bugbear!

"I'll tear your guts out with my bare hands," the monk roars as he rams his right shoulder into the bugbear's stomach. "You hear me!?" he then adds, quickly trying to scoop and buckle the creature's legs out from under him, "WITH...MY...BARE...HANDS!"
5 ft. step N whilst instigating a Grapple. Have Improved Grapple so won't provoke an AoO and should gain a +2 bonus in addition to the +1 for racial hatred vs. goblinoids.

If grapple is successful, get the guy in some odd form of a figure-four leglock mixed with a possible chokehold to inflict lethal damage.

Sorry for the brief description, but A) I didn't want to ruin your creative fun, should the rolls actually succeed...and B) I would only wind up being a wasted post should I only wind up falling flat on my ass by missing, etc. ;-)

Side Note: I'd advise Torias to wait until my action is resolved, as if I fail, he might want to do a 5 ft. step back and heal himself.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:05 pm

Torrak looses his cool finally, and begins to scream at the bugbear threatening to rip its lungs out with his bare hands. The quarterstaff clatters to the ground as he rams his shoulder into the gut of the bugbear and tries to double it over. Grabbing with his arms he gets hold of the goblinoid's legs but he can't put enough weight behind his push. Before he realizes it he's being knocked away by the shield of the hairy and smelly creature, "Git ofva me!" It shouts back as Torrak is knocked loose unable to bring the creature down.
Torrak (5ft N): Grapple: CMB +6 (14 vs 16 Fail!) Failed to Grapple

Very close!
Torias...
So Torrak is 1W of the BB, and Torias is 1S of it.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:30 pm

Torias stumbles back as the creature hits him. A quick <Kilmor>"Crafter save me!" escapes his surprised lips as dark clouds begin to blur his vision. But he were no dwarf if he did not come to his senses in a few seconds. He shakes his head and growls angrily and he is there again, wounded and fierce. He gets up his shield again, turning slightly so his left side (and shield) faces his foe and his axe is in his right hand cannot clearly be seen by the creature. He holds his axe low, ready for a horizontal strike. But before attacking again, he calls out to Kilmorph for healing: "Blood to blood and stone to stone. Crafter mend my flesh and bone!" He grits his teeth, ready to endure the pain of his skin and bones melding into place again.
5'step (stumbling back) SE.
Cast CLW using last spell (obscuring mist). Defensive Casting if necessary.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:50 pm

Torias stumbles back out of reach of the bugbear as the pain of the blow clouds his sense a moment. He is a dwarf however, and those senses return a moment later. Chanting a prayer to the Crafter, Torias' voice booms out as he holds his enscrolled shield on the defensive. "Blood to blood and stone to stone!" He can feel the work of the Crafter's hands on his wounds mending his flesh as a smith might mend a suit of armor. When the sensation passes he is envigorated, his health returned, and the wound is little more than a small purple scar.
Torias: 5ft SE, Spon Convert Ob Mist to CLW = +8 HPs! Full Health
The bugbear gives Torais no heed now that Torrak is trying to grab hold of him. The large goblinoid takes a poorly timed swing at Torrak. The dwarf is up so close and the reach of the bugbear is so wide its hard for it to target the baldheaded tattooed Torrak. The blow misses, leaving the bugbear exposed a moment for a counter attack.
Bugbear: Attack Torrak: 11 Miss!
Round 3 Initiative: Torrak 17.5, Torias 14.2, Bugbear 3.1
Torrak counter attacks...

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:50 pm

That's it fool, Torrak thinks as he quickly dodges to one side of the shaggy goblinoid behemoth, Follow the birdie... As the creature's blow whooshes overhead, the fuming dwarf simply allows his instincts to take over soon finds himself rolling with the dodge and then suddenly leaping once more at his opponent!

"RRAAGGHH!" the dwarf exclaims as he then begins to wrap one of his arms around the bugbear's waist and the other up under one of the creature's arms. In a desperate attempt to literally climb his opponent, Torrak proceeds to place a sandal-ed foot upon one of the goblinoid's thighs and quickly makes his way up towards the creature's head where he then proceeds to apply pressure to the beast's arm whilst headbutting it repeatedly in the nose and face with his forehead - his overall attempt being that of sending the wretched creature plummeting to the ground where he and his brother can finish it off.
5 ft. move NE. Sadly, Torrak won't be getting any Flanking bonuses...yet...but will help to set Torias up for them this round. Subsequent rounds should be a tad bit easier as well, as long as Torias moves back NW to attack.

Torrak shall perform a Grapple attempt once more, inflicting damage if successful!

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:00 pm

Round 3 Initiative: Torrak 17.5, Torias 14.2, Bugbear 3.1
Torrak screams as he wraps his arm around the bugbear's own arm and spins around to the north of the creature, the sun of the outside beating down on the dwarf's back now. He litterly climbs up on the thing, using its thigh as a step stool the dwarven monk finds himself face to ugly face with the Bugbear. Arm wrapped around arm, grappling the goblinoid he puts pressure on it, forcing it to tilt and lean backwards exposing its face under its helm. Then with best display of thickheadedness among his kind Torrak slams his head into the bridge of the bugbear's nose shattering it in a gyser of blood and a avalanche of curses of pain from the beast. A huge red mark is right in the center of Torrak's forehead where the blood of the screaming bugbear's nose stains his skin. The beast buckles under the weight and the broken nose down to both knees, a perfect target for a flanking Torias.
Torrak 5ft. Grapple: 16 vs 16 Success! Grappling: Dmg 9 Dmg!!!

The thing is seriously wounded now. Nice.
Torias...

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:08 pm

(Kilmor) "He has given us strength, let us thank Him."

Torias takes a step backwards, to better gauge the situation. But then, blood red hate fills his thoughts as his dwarven genes take over. He utters one of the vilest insults he can think of: (Orc) "Now, you besmircher of ancient parchments. Prepare to meet your end!"

Then, a second of silence. Then: Torias holds up his axe way above his head. Then: "Arghghghagghrhrhrrh!" A ferocious growl leaves his mouth as he charges forward to try to hack his axe into the fiend!
Move 1S, then Charge. If possible, I would like to end up right south of the BB, flanking him. (Edited due to some geographical confusion of my own)