Act 1 - Hollow's Last Hope

The Age of Magic is ended, Bhall, the Goddess of Fire, has succumbed to the whispers of Agares and fallen into Hell. Her worshipers and creations driven mad, and fire, which has been a powerful ally to man, has turned against him. Each good god was charged with the opposition of an evil god. Bhall was responsible for balancing Mulcarn, the God of Winter. Finding himself unopposed Mulcarn has broken The Compact and moved into Creation.

Creation was on the verge of another open war between the gods, that which they had outlawed with The Compact. To keep that from happening a deal was struck and the gods agreed that one god would enter Creation to challenge Mulcarn. That was Sucellus, the God of Nature. The two gods battled across the face of Creation, entire civilizations still recovering from the Burning Skies that marked the fall of Bhall were destroyed by their power. In the end Sucellus was killed and Mulcarn remained.

The Eternal Winter has begun...
Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: The Return Trip: Dusk Day 1

Post by Muskrat » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:22 pm

Dreams nods. "Of course we should press on. Once we have delivered the goods to Laurel, we can rest. Though tomorrow we will have to tell our sad news to Vren's siblings and see that they are properly cared for. Perhaps the human paladin, Ellspeth, is still around and can see that they are taken to a human community where there is a temple or orphanage that will properly look after them. We can contribute what would have been Vren's share of the treasure we found to their caretaking."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Falcon's Hollow: Nighttime

Post by Vardaen » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:12 pm

Torrak is drinking from his waterskin, "Agreed, Blue you know the way best, lead on. We dwarves can run a while longer yet."

Torias has his shield over his back and is panting heavily, all those long years working as a scribe have taken their toll on his endurance. "I'll try, go on without me if I lag behind."

Torrak splashes some water on his brother's bald head, "Nonsense! Just pretend the Ancient Library is on fire and you have to get there to save all those books! That will spur you on."

Torias nods, but is read in the face nonetheless.

** Nightime, Falcon's Hollow, September 12th, 52 Years After the Fall of Bhall, Four days after the Blackscour Taint claimed its first victim **

So the group presses on. You race southwest down the road and some ten to twelve miles later (though it seems like 30) you see Falcon's Hollow come into view. The lights of the tavern known as The Sitting Duck are visible in the distance, as well as some strange green lights at the top of the nearby wizard's tower. The sight of the lamps gives you renewed stength and you race into the outskirts of the village and right on through the open gate down the main road. "Right to Laurels!" someone shouts and you don't bother to stop anyplace else along the way.

The main square is silent at this hour, the beggars and sick aren't lingering around outside the shop like their were when you left town. Only a single lone figure is laying nearby the herbalist's home, apparently asleep in the gutter.

You race up to the front door of the Roots and Remedies.
I added the Droskar's Cricible Map to the map thread, you can also find a map of Falcon's Hollow there if you forget what it looks like.

https://brennor.dyndns.org/rpg/Forums/v ... =4110.html
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Falcon's Hollow: Nighttime

Post by Trogdor » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:21 pm

Stifling back a yawn, Celevan strides up to the door, a momentary jolt of energy overcoming his immense weariness. He takes his dagger from its sheath and bangs the hilt on the door, the staccato rapping echoing in the silent street. "Laurel!" he calls out. Laurel, we've returned!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:07 pm

A window lights up in the back of the shop as someone inside lights a lamp. The soft yellow glow moves from room to room from the back to the front. In moments the yellow light is washing out of the cracks in the door escaping into the night air around you. You can hear Laurel's voice on the other side of the door, "Who is it?"

Celevan replies, "We've returned!"

The lock is opened and the door peaks open a few inches letting more light leap out into the street. There is Laurel gazing out, her hair is down around her ears and shoulders framing her face, and her tired and bleery eyes are bloodshot as if she's not been sleeping much in the last few days. All in all she looks rather terrible. Taking a pair of spectacles out of her robe pocket she puts them on the tip of her nose and sizes you all. "Evan?"

The blue eyed Elohim nods.

"Evan! Oh thank the gods you're back. Please tell me you collected all the ingredients!" She flings the door open wide, and waits with baited breath for the answer.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:12 pm

Celevan nods as the door opens, the yawn he's been holding back forcing its way out. "We do, Laurel. Hopefully enough for everyone who's sick." Then he steps inside and takes off his pack to retrieve his portion of the ingredients. As he takes out several small packs of plants and fungus he smiles at Laurel. "Don't worry, there's more. We split up our finds just in case. The others have the rest."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:23 pm

Torias is also exhausted, he stumbles into the building and sits down on the first stool he finds. "I have more of it." He produces some Ironbloom Mushrooms and the Elderwood Moss. "Here you go." He yawns as well.

Laurel moves to lit up some more lamps and soon the house is bright and cheery, even if none of you or Laurel are. "The moss looks good, should be plenty..." she then collects her large tome, the book her grandmother bartered her eyesight for from the Witch Ulizmila. "Alright, mushrooms... you have more than this?" You do in fact, and the last few items you need Dreams is carring. "I can get started right away on this. Should have a good brew by morning." She rests a hand on Celevan's shoulder, "Not a moment too soon Evan, we had to send eight more bodies to the Gravedigger today. That brings the total up to around seventeen!" Shaking her head she's clearly broken up about it.
Just in case you forgot what she looks like normally.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:35 pm

"I'm sorry we couldn't get back here any quicker," Celevan replies. "We had to go all the way to the haunted dwarven monastery to get the mushrooms." He lets out a long sigh and reaches up to give Laurel's hand a comforting squeeze. "Seventeen is too many. But with the blessing we can make sure it won't rise above that." He stands a little straighter. "Do you need any help with the brewing? I'm not much of a hand at these things, but I can fetch and carry if you like." From the weariness he carries around him, it's unclear whether he'll be able to pick his pack up again without falling asleep.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:15 pm

Laurel can see the group is exhausted, "Did you run all night?"

Torrak nods to the affirmative.

"Then no, you'll just get in my way Evan. Go rest, come back in the morning and I should be finished. I'll need your help with crowd control as it could get somehat crazy around here once people know I have a cure." She then starts to shoo you out of the Roots and Remedies as she works the bellows on her small fireplace to get the fire going once again.

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Post by Wayloss » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:35 pm

"It's been a long night, but we pushed on to bring the ingrediants in as soon as possible. I hope we have enough, we brought what we could." Syrronas, nods at Laurel's suggestion that the group get some rest, and come back in the morning. "Perhaps we should also let the Sheriff know there will be some excitement tomorrow and he might be needed?"

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:52 pm

"That was going to be my next stop," Celevan replies. He's clearly dog tired, but ready to go on. Then you realize why as the blue-eyed elohim continues speaking. "After that we'll have to return to my boarding house." He pauses, takes a breath and adds, "then we'll have to tell the other children about Vren."
First the sheriff, then we deliver bad news.