Act 9 - Chimera Cove

The Age of Magic is ended, Bhall, the Goddess of Fire, has succumbed to the whispers of Agares and fallen into Hell. Her worshipers and creations driven mad, and fire, which has been a powerful ally to man, has turned against him. Each good god was charged with the opposition of an evil god. Bhall was responsible for balancing Mulcarn, the God of Winter. Finding himself unopposed Mulcarn has broken The Compact and moved into Creation.

Creation was on the verge of another open war between the gods, that which they had outlawed with The Compact. To keep that from happening a deal was struck and the gods agreed that one god would enter Creation to challenge Mulcarn. That was Sucellus, the God of Nature. The two gods battled across the face of Creation, entire civilizations still recovering from the Burning Skies that marked the fall of Bhall were destroyed by their power. In the end Sucellus was killed and Mulcarn remained.

The Eternal Winter has begun...
Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Hellcat: Round 1

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:08 pm

While Nate carefully aimed for the head of the Hellcat, Dreams just ... ended the threat. Like a holy warrior from a bard's tale, she cut down the evil creature like it was an irritating rat. Actually, if it was a bard she would have been booed at for telling such a short tale. No fear, no tension, no worrying back-and-forth. Just *whack* and down went the enemy.

"Well then. Um, good job." He lowers his gun, then checks the rest of their surroundings for any more hidden threats.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:59 pm

"That was a little easier than I expected," Dreams says dryly. Her humorous tone vanishes when she sees Lineos' corpse. She goes over to the body, closes his eyes and prays over him. When she is done, she says, "This will have to be his final resting place. And I do not think he would want us to linger over him if it meant innocents would come to harm."

"I fear we don't have time to search here for clues. We have to break out and we do not know how much time we have until Poltur will be able to raise his undead dragon turtle."

Grimbold
Title: Professor

Post by Grimbold » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:31 pm

"Good job!" Torias is impressed. Then: "Yes, we should hurry. I guess I could try to break the trapdoor with my axe." Torias starts to do exactly that.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:52 pm

Dreams says, "I think I may be able to help as well." She positions a barrel or stool alongside Torias, high enough for her to reach the trap door, and drinks a potion of bull's strength that she has been carrying around for some time, waiting for a time of need like this. Then, with her increased strength, she pushes against the trap door.
Combined with the gauntlets of ogre strength she's already wearing, this should boost Dreams' strength to 20, which is hopefully enough to do some damage to the trap door.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Hatch

Post by Vardaen » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:39 pm

Booooring! Such a fight was just over. No bard worth his salt would tell this tale. For the heroes, it was fine, save for the fact that poor Lineos is dead. Dreams is right, he must remain here for now, but perhaps you might return for his body at a later time.

Torias and Dreams make for the hatch and start to go to work on it. Her strength, and his his axe are making decent work on the hatch. Each strike rings out loudly with a bang or a thwack. They need only work on it enough and they will have you free.

That leaves Nate to explore, and watch for hidden threats. There are after all, several sea chests down here tempting him to investigate.
Given enough time the 2 of your will get the hatch open.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

ManWithDoor

The Hatch

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:53 am

There is only so much room to hammer away at a hatch from below. Two is pushing it, three would likely get more in each other's way rather than be helpful. So Nate goes exploring the tempting sea chests in the meantime.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Hatch

Post by Vardaen » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:07 pm

I was going to have something happen, but with my schedule I'm just skipping it. FWIW two of the sea chests were going to be Mimics
*BANG*

*CRASH*

The hatch is little by little broken down.

Nate explores the hold and the sea chests, he reaches one and jumps back, realizing that it has teeth on it!?! He inspects the chest to find out its not a chest at all, but is the corpse of a mimic. A creature that appears to look like a chest, typically one that hides then bites people and eats them. It appears that the mimic died here, starving to death as the ship was trapped here ages ago. The other sea chest Nate inspects and notices its rigged with a gas vial trap. After working at it Nate manages to by pass the trigger, thanks to the devices age, and his own dexterity. Opening the chest he finds sail cloth and rope, mostly rotted away, but why trap a chest for nothing important. Nate digs, while the banging of Dreams and Torias continues, its annoying and distracting but he locates a fake bottom and opens it to reveal some loot.

He locates in the false bottom a clearly magical bow, the long composite bow has glyphs on it of power and strength, while a small quiver holds four silver tipped arrows, each tip bearing the rune of Lugus on them.
Loot: Composite Long Bow +1 (STR +2), 4 Holy Alchemical Silver Arrows +1
Then with a crash the hatch is opened and you are free.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

The Hatch

Post by Muskrat » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:38 pm

Dreams would be happy to have the bow and it seems to fit her best, but I'm open to others claiming it.
Dreams calls out, "Nate! We're free! Let's go." She cautiously emerges from the hatch, wary of an attack.
How much time does the Potion of Bull's Strength have left?

ManWithDoor

The Hatch

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:25 am

Nate grabs the treasure and runs back to the others, tossing them to Dreams who might be able to use them well. He pulls out his musket again, ready to fight. And maybe blow out the knee of their 'captor', and them him overboard for the fish to feast on.
I've got my Firearms, so I'm happy to hand over the bow and arrows.

Grimbold
Title: Professor

The Hatch

Post by Grimbold » Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:55 pm

"Right." Torias says. "Let's go and explore more of this cave. Maybe we shall meet our "friend" there somewhere."
Torias equips his weapon and shield, and is ready to move on.
Torias does not use a bow, so go right ahead.