Act 9 - Chimera Cove

The Age of Magic is ended, Bhall, the Goddess of Fire, has succumbed to the whispers of Agares and fallen into Hell. Her worshipers and creations driven mad, and fire, which has been a powerful ally to man, has turned against him. Each good god was charged with the opposition of an evil god. Bhall was responsible for balancing Mulcarn, the God of Winter. Finding himself unopposed Mulcarn has broken The Compact and moved into Creation.

Creation was on the verge of another open war between the gods, that which they had outlawed with The Compact. To keep that from happening a deal was struck and the gods agreed that one god would enter Creation to challenge Mulcarn. That was Sucellus, the God of Nature. The two gods battled across the face of Creation, entire civilizations still recovering from the Burning Skies that marked the fall of Bhall were destroyed by their power. In the end Sucellus was killed and Mulcarn remained.

The Eternal Winter has begun...
Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Act 9 - Chimera Cove

Post by ManWithDoor » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:05 am

The gunslinger considers it, then nods agreeably. "Sounds like a plan." He looks around at the fog with distaste. "Not my favorite weather. It removes my unfair advantage." He pats his magical bandolier, where his weapons and ammunition are stored. "It's not cheating. I'm not stopping them from bringing a gun too. The fog doesn't do me any favors though. Makes me itchy, like someone could easily sneak up on me."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Act 9 - Chimera Cove

Post by Vardaen » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:05 pm

You stroll toward town, closer and closer and you realize that you still don't see anyone out and about in the village. As you get closer you would expect to see someone out on the roads or the water, or even closer to where you are, but there are none.

Before you comment about this to anyone else you start to get the sense that you are being watched from the nearby hills.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Act 9 - Chimera Cove

Post by Muskrat » Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:31 pm

Dreams slows down, but keeps walking and says softly to the others, "Something's wrong. It's like the village is abandoned. I'd guess the plan, whatever it is, has already begun to go into motion. I also think we're being watched--the question is, is it agents of our foe or is it just the local villagers in hiding?"

ManWithDoor

Act 9 - Chimera Cove

Post by ManWithDoor » Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:01 pm

"Well isolated towns like this tend to be pretty paranoid about strangers, especially these days. They could have just bolted to the hills, or at least the armed ones. Maybe the regular folk are locked up in their houses until they see our intentions." His eyes are sharp as they pan around, but no matter how good they are they can't ignore deep fog. "I say we either keep approaching and announce our intentions, or keep with the paranoia vibe and find some cover. Then we could try to counter-ambush by ourselves sneaking into the hills to find who's watching us."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Act 9 - Chimera Cove

Post by Muskrat » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:22 pm

After a moment's reflection, Dreams says, "I'm not sure we can actually successful take cover--not if we are being watched like I think we are." She keeps walking slowly as she speaks. "And taking cover might add to the suspicion any locals might have of us. I think maybe the least bad option is to walk into town and announce ourselves as travelers, seeking an inn and the like." She shrugs, uncertain that is actually the best plan.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Act 9 - Chimera Cove

Post by Vardaen » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:01 pm

Torias looks around, the dwarven librarian isn't the most subtle of the group. He pushes his spectacles back up to his nose's bridge. "You may be right Dreams..." he points to the low hill that stands above the fog. There you now see the outline of a large humanoid figure standing there watching you. The figure has a strong build, a man, a big man, who holds his hand to his brow to shade the rising sun. Then he starts stalking toward you like a wolf hunting prey.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Act 9 - Chimera Cove

Post by Muskrat » Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:50 pm

Dreams nods and says, "Well, it looks like the matter has been decided for us." She stopped walking and stood waiting for the approaching figure, holding her hands up to show she meant no harm.

ManWithDoor

Act 9 - Chimera Cove

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:02 pm

Nate gives a slow, friendly wave to the approaching foggy figure. He nonchalantly rest his other hand on his bandolier, ready to draw his firearm swiftly if this turns into trouble. "Hello there, neighbor! No need to be shy. We're friendly."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Act 9 - Chimera Cove

Post by Vardaen » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:04 pm

The beast of a man comes from the hills, as he grows closer you can see he leans on a large woodsman axe. He's young face is a forest of a beard but you can see a bit of a smile under there as Nate comments about being friendly. "Well that is good to hear. Its a rate thing these days, and I'm in need of friends right now." He stalks up to the group stopping a few arm lengths away. "I'm in need of more than just friends, I'm in need of allies willing to put their lives at risk to save my village." He glances down at the silent town not far away.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Act 9 - Chimera Cove

Post by Muskrat » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:02 pm

"Then we might be able to help each other," says Dreams. She makes a formal bow and says, "I am Reluctant Follower of Dreams of the Dancers in the Glade Clan, though people usually just call me Dreams. We actually came here because we have reason to believe some plot is afoot here that might threaten people well beyond this town." She knows this is a bit of a gamble, but she judges it worth taking. She nonetheless watches the young man's response closely to try to judge if he does seek to help the town or might he hiding the fact that he works for the evil-doers.
Sense Motive. Take 10 if possible.