Act 9 - Chimera Cove

The Age of Magic is ended, Bhall, the Goddess of Fire, has succumbed to the whispers of Agares and fallen into Hell. Her worshipers and creations driven mad, and fire, which has been a powerful ally to man, has turned against him. Each good god was charged with the opposition of an evil god. Bhall was responsible for balancing Mulcarn, the God of Winter. Finding himself unopposed Mulcarn has broken The Compact and moved into Creation.

Creation was on the verge of another open war between the gods, that which they had outlawed with The Compact. To keep that from happening a deal was struck and the gods agreed that one god would enter Creation to challenge Mulcarn. That was Sucellus, the God of Nature. The two gods battled across the face of Creation, entire civilizations still recovering from the Burning Skies that marked the fall of Bhall were destroyed by their power. In the end Sucellus was killed and Mulcarn remained.

The Eternal Winter has begun...
Run by the Arch-Mage Vardaen
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

The Dragon - Canal Landing

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:39 pm

"Oh hey, that's new." From his now quite elevated position, he points above the tall doors. "There's a hidden passage up there, not visible from the ground. You have to get up high like me to see it. I'm going to swing over and check it out. Maybe it's a 'service bypass' or something, avoiding more traps or the like." He agilely swings over, and waves from above the doorway the other two have access to.

"Did you want to check it out together, or have me do a quick scout and report back? I can lower some rope or something to help you up if you like."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:40 pm

Dreams calls out, "How much room do have to maneuver? If there's too many of us, it might make it hard to retreat. Maybe we could tie a rope around your waste, so we can pull you to safety if we need to?"

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:51 am

From his elevated position, the scout looks confused. "Um, I'm higher than you. 'Pulling me to safety' would make me fall quite a distance, wouldn't it?"
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:26 pm

Dreams facepalms and says, "Yes, you're right--I'm not sure what I was thinking. Maybe the best thing would be for Torias and I to climb up--you could scout ahead quietly, but we'd be in a position to come after you quickly if you got in trouble."

Grimbold
Title: Professor

Post by Grimbold » Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:25 pm

Torias just nods. He gets ready to climb.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Dragon - Fluxhold

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:30 pm

There is room enough up there, so the trio figure out a good way to do this without setting off the trap. After a few minutes and a few dangerous moments with the heavily armored dwarf you are all up in the secret passage. You head along a long narrow passage for a good while, the end grows brighter and brighter, and you begin to hear a voice up ahead so you switch into stealth mode. You come to chamber...

Radiance pouring out of a giant water droplet suspended from the roof fills this chamber with more light than a noon sun. The fat droplet is fifteen feet in diameter and just as long, and quivers slightly in the still air. Within it, something serpentine and translucent undulates slowly.

This chamber is blinding in comparison to the rest of the caverns. Treat the entire space as brightly illuminated. The floor of the chamber is divided into five separate pools of clear water. Ten feet below the giant droplet is a shallow, square pool 10 feet across and perhaps 3 feet deep, bounded by a stone walkway 1 foot wide. Images of other places appear on the pool’s surface and then are quickly gone. Passageways open to the chamber from each of the four corners of the room, and a narrow stone path leads to the central pool, with four trapezoidal pools formed by the intersecting pathways. The walls and ceiling are smooth, worked stone, glistening with moisture.

Standing in the chamber is Poltur, shouting commands at the moving shape inside the water droplet, "Show me the canal landing now!"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

The Dragon - Fluxhold

Post by Muskrat » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:27 pm

Are there any other creatures we can see in the room besides Poltur and the entity in the giant water drop? How high are we off the ground?
Dreams whispers to the others, "This seems like a good opportunity to ambush Poltur. My only concern is that he might be able to summon something that could pin us here. Nate, maybe you could provide covering fire while the other two of us drop to the ground?"

ManWithDoor

The Dragon - Fluxhold

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:08 pm

The gunslinger smirks. "Oh yeah, I have no problem providing cover fire against this guy."
I don't think we're off the ground. I think we're ascending on a path leading to this whole area, if we had stayed on the other lower path we wouldn't have ended up here. The Droplet is above us by the ceiling, while us and Poltur are on the ground. We can shoot / rush him without have to drop down.

Grimbold
Title: Professor

The Dragon - Fluxhold

Post by Grimbold » Wed May 12, 2021 9:56 am

"Ready" Torias whispers, as he prays to Kilmorph to strengthen and quicken his body. "Let's go!"
Cast Channel Vigor (effects like a haste spell on Torias)

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Dragon - Fluxhold: Round 1

Post by Vardaen » Mon May 17, 2021 8:20 pm

The trio pause, ready to bum rush Poltur. Now is the time to end this. Weapons draw, Torias summons the power of Kilmorph and with Nate ready to cover them, the Elf and Dwarf charge forward as fast as they might in hopes to ambush the man. The passage provides no cover, and heavy armor makes plenty of noise. Yet Poltur seems to be focused looking down at the pools of water and is nearly taken by surprise. Its only when a voice from the shimming drpolet calls out that he turns, "There they are," is the elemental voice that flows liquidy from the droplet. Poltur turns and finds you nearly on him in this narrow space.
FE-TheDragon2.jpg
FE-TheDragon2.jpg (78.59 KiB) Viewed 183 times
You are at the X coming from the East straight along, there are other entrances that slope from various degrees.

I'm not going to bother with a combat map so I don't get bogged down. The chamber is 20 feet (those are 10ft squares). Going on the narrow walkways require Balance Checks. And someone on them can only be melee attacked by two people (front and back).
Round 1 Nate 28, Dreams 24, Poltur 19, Torias 5
Nate, with a clean shot before Torias and Dreams start down the passage opens the fight, with Dreams a moment or two behind his shot....
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring