Brainstorming - Elves

This is the OOC forum for the Fallen Empires game in the Age of Ice realm.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Brainstorming - Elves

Post by Vardaen » Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:03 am

One thing I try and remember is that Elves are very long lived, and as such are slow to change or make changes. So the death of a god would be so major they could still be in formal mourning, and would not simply abandon their worship practices quickly enough. Leaving many of the leaders actually technically powerless (plenty of political power, no spells or abiltiies).

Its about 50 years since Bhall crashed into the earth, and about ten perhaps since Secullus has been slain. Meaning the far reaching ramifications might not even be truely felt yet. I think that time fram works, the chaos of the Burning Pit has been raging for a while now, but Mulcarn is just starting to exhert his influence.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:21 am

All right, yes, the elves are still certainly in a state of shock and mourning. I would imagine that on such a short time scale, all the good- and neutral-aligned races are in a state of shock to some degree.

How much have we already felt the effects of Mulcarn's rule? Are the winters just longer and harsher than they have been? Or have spring, summer, and fall altogether disappeared?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:52 am

Currently there is still sping and fall, summer is almost to short to call it such, and winters last far far far too long. The Ice Age hasn't started yet, but its coming, and each year winter is longer and longer.

Some other ideas I had about elves in general and their naming.

Elf is a human word for the elves. Orginally all elves on Patria called themselves Eloh or Elohim. At some point there was a conflict among the elves, not a war nessicarily but a split of opinion and the long viewed Thelon wanted to try and set up a nation like the humans and dwarves were doing and broke away and founded his nation, and was named later on after him as the Thelonites. One thing they did was take on a more human naming convention leaving the long winded names mean something to the Elohim. (and traditional Theonites).

The humans of course were calling elves Eloh, which in the language of various regions and factiosn became pervereted to Elf.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:27 am

Works for me. The two elven nations can look down their noses at each others--the Thelonites see the Elohim as traditionalists, clinging to the past and unwilling to innovate; the Elohim see the Thelonites as having abandoned what makes the elven people distinctly elven, having become corrupted by the surrounding civilizations, with their focus on power, rather than wisdom, learning and the arts.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:02 am

Righto. There might be comes cultural tensions between the too, but nothing that's ever been serious in the recent century, etc.

The Thelonites would be much larger in population as well.

What we should work on now is what haven you guys are in, some details there. I know without a map its hard, but we can just plop this location whereever, so some general concepts and such are what we need

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Post by Wayloss » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:51 pm

Perhaps given the "natural" tendencies of the Elohim name the haves after tree's? perhaps things like Oakhaven, ect? perhaps an elvish word for Oakhaven.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:26 am

Yeah I have some names in my head, Pendelhaven, Havenwood Battle Ground, Rainbow Vale, etc. Oakhaven fits right in.

I think we really have alot of good material here, I'm hoping that maybe we can actually piece is together enough to start the game. Gotta work on a map still.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:05 pm

The only idea that's really coming to me is that it would make sense for us to start in the haven that is the main sanctuary for the Elohim Paladin's Order--which also needs a name. My character could be just completing her training there, when the Thelonites send Wayloss's character there for the Elohim Elders to keep an eye on.

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Post by Wayloss » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:11 pm

I was figuring I had lived there for the last 50 years or so, you may know me personally. Know my struggles with the corruption ect...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:29 pm

I prefer to start small.

So what I would prefer is that Dream's be finishing his/her? trianing but in a small haven, where Wayloss has been kept for the last 50 years.

That leaves teh largest place for me to develope as we go. And can create a bit more personal feel for the starting haven.