Character Generation

This is the OOC forum for the Fallen Empires game in the Age of Ice realm.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Character Generation

Post by Vardaen » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:59 pm

This is the technical thread for the Pathfinder Character Generation.

We can talk about techincal crunchy bits here for the char gen of the characters.

Since I'm Vman, I'll be using the Pathfinder VGen rules.

For this game:

Offical Pathfinder Books Only! That means no splat books, no 3rd party, no 3.5 Books.

Level 1
All Stats 8
+40 Points (1 for 1) (No more than 1 18 on any stat)
+Racial Bonuses (Stats may now go over 18)
2 Background Traits

No Flaws, No Traits (These are 3.5 things so no Pathfinder)

Average Starting Gold

New Classes allowed: Caviler, Oracle, Summoner, Witch
Last edited by Vardaen on Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Character Generation

Post by Muskrat » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:37 am

2 Background Traits
I don't think I saw any rules for background traits in the Core Rulebook. Did I miss them? Or are they somewhere else? Surely not the Bestiary? Or is this a house rule of yours?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:47 am

They are in the Web Suppilment, and on the SRD for Pathfinder. Speaking of which, the Pathfinder SRD is here:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

Traits can be found here:
http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:48 am

I was considering allowing you to pick one trait, and then based on your background I would give you a second trait. Which I might still do.

Then again I'm hoping that I might be able to award traits later on as 'heroic bonuses' for cool things done in the game.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:56 am

In the various Player Guides for the Adventure Paths are some new Pathfinder Feats as well as Traits. If you find one that you think works, and you can make it fit thematically with your character I'm not against allowing you to use it. However, you have to run it by me first and I can veto it if I don't think it fits or works right.

The books I'm talking about are all free to download from the Paizo site someplace there.

Council of Theives
Curse of the Crimson Throne
Legacy of Fire
Rise of the Runelords.

Some of them are far too adventure specific but others are general enough or easily thmatically changed from the PF setting to ours here to allow it.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:54 am

Just a mock writeup but thinking something along the lines of:
Torrak Runefist(?)
'¢ +2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, '€"2 Charisma: Dwarves are both tough and wise, but also a bit gruff.
'¢ Medium: Dwarves are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
'¢ Slow and Steady: Dwarves have a base speed of 20 feet, but their speed is never modified by armor or encumbrance.
'¢ Darkvision: Dwarves can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
'¢ Defensive Training: Dwarves get a +4 dodge bonus to AC against monsters of the giant subtype.
'¢ Greed: Dwarves receive a +2 racial bonus on Appraise skill checks made to determine the price of nonmagical goods that contain precious metals or gemstones.
'¢ Hatred: Dwarves receive a +1 bonus on attack rolls against humanoid creatures of the orc and goblinoid subtypes due to special training against these hated foes.
'¢ Hardy: Dwarves receive a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison, spells, and spell-like abilities.
'¢ Stability: Dwarves receive a +4 racial bonus to their Combat Maneuver Defense when resisting a bull rush or trip attempt while standing on the ground.
'¢ Stonecunning: Dwarves receive a +2 bonus on Perception checks to potentially notice unusual stonework, such as traps and hidden doors located in stone walls or floors. They receive a check to notice such features whenever they pass within 10 feet of them, whether or not they are actively looking.
'¢ Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves are proficient with battleaxes, heavy picks, and warhammers, and treat any weapon with the word 'œdwarven' in its name as a martial weapon.
'¢ Languages: Dwarves begin play speaking Common and Dwarven. Dwarves with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Giant, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, Terran, and Undercommon.
Base (including racial mods)
Str 8, Dex 8, Con 10, Int 8, Wis 10, Cha 6

40 pt Mods
Str +8, Dex +8, Con +6, Int +6, Wis +8, Cha +4

End Totals
Str 16, Dex 16, Con 16, Int 14, Wis 18, Cha 10
The monk's class skills are Acrobatics (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Escape Artist (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (history) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Perception (Wis), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Sense Motive (Wis), Stealth (Dex), and Swim (Str).

Skill Ranks per Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Skill Choices (6 + 1 for Monk Favored Class = 7)
Acrobatics 1 (+7), Craft (Tattooing) 1 (+8 ), Intimidate 1 (+7), Knowledge (religion) 1 (+8 ), Perception 1 (+8 ), Sense Motive 1 (+8 ), Stealth 1 (+7)
Courageous (+2 saves vs fear), Sacred Touch (automatically stabilize a dying character)
Intimidating Prowess (use Str Mod instead of Cha for Intimidate checks)
Figure Courageous would be the main Trait with the option of taking Sacred Touch (to represent his ability to focus his chi and apply a mild healing effect) or possibly even taking a modified version of:
You are experienced in fighting the gigantic creatures that stalk Varisia's landscape.

Benefit: You gain a +1 bonus on attack rolls and a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against Large or larger creatures.

Could allow/modify this to basically say that he's good at kung-fu'n giants and what not. Seems like it would work anyways. Background Trait is from Rise of the Runelords btw.
as his Secondary Trait.

Either way, this looks like the basic build for my guy.
Last edited by Eanwulf on Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:03 am

Funny I just looked at Big Game Hunter myself. It works similar to the idea that Dwarves get defensive bonuses vs Giants, but now you get offenseive bonus too.

Over all the build looks pretty fine to me.

Wayloss
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Outlaw Technician

Post by Wayloss » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:11 pm

in your mail V. ;-)

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:04 pm

And before we get to far on this...

Character sheets. I will want us to use the Excel Sheets that Bitom has been using, edited for Pathfinder. I'll work on sheets, then we'll put them on Google Docs for shareing.

I will not accept other sheets for this once the game starts. For now if you want to put them on the Word PF sheets, that's cool just to get started on them, but once I have the Excel sheet ready, I will require you to use it.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:18 pm

You're going to edit the Excel sheets for PF?

Excellent. I'm afraid my Excel skills aren't up to accounting for all the automatic calculations.