Who Cares About XP

This is the OOC forum for the Fallen Empires game in the Age of Ice realm.
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Who Cares About XP

Post by Trogdor » Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:54 pm

I played in an L5R game where the GM did something like that. It worked pretty well.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:02 pm

L5R you could never do no XP, as you build your stats from them, but bonus Void would work. (which right now is being used in one of my games from a donation drive reward.)

At this point, I'll run no XP cause really who cares as long as you level up at the right point.

If there is some thing that says you loose XP you'll take CON (2) Dmg instead to show a strain on your soul and body.

And in place of XP awards, I'll consider Action Points. Each point grants you +1d6 on any d20 roll. Once spent its gone. You must declare their use before rolling (as part of your post).
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:06 pm

I meant that in the L5R game he gave out bonuses for good roleplaying and other reasons. I can't remember the exact mechanism he used. But they were handy to have around.

paradoxa
Level 12
Level 12

Post by paradoxa » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:07 pm

Sounds fine to me, V.

@Eanwulf: I also see some advantages in level-less systems, but not for this kind of classic fantasy game, where you start of rather small scale, and (hopefully) have a story that leads to epic dimensions.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:20 pm

One of my table top games is a Flash Gordon style game where the action is divided up into serials (e.g., Rocket Reynolds and the Moons of Zemo, Rocket Reynolds and the Forest Moon, Rocket Reynolds and the Prison Moon, Rocket Reynolds and the Jungle Moon, etc.). Each serial lasts about 15 runs and I give them a power-up between serials. But otherwise they stay the same.

Oddly enough, most of my characters haven't taken the bulk of their power ups. They do occasionally as they see interesting directions they want to go it. But for the most part they stay pretty much the same. I think our scientist character hasn't' taken a power up since the end of the first or second serial.