Evening watches

This is the OOC forum for the Fallen Empires game in the Age of Ice realm.
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Evening watches

Post by Trogdor » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:30 am

I'll handle this here so that we don't have to go back and forth in game.

I was suggesting spreading out the darkvision people (Celvean and the two dwarves) among the watches, and spreading out the Elohim among the watches. We could do one person watches (+ Suli) or two person watches (+ Suli) as people want.

With two person watches we should be able to get a darkvision person on every watch and a low light vision person on two out of three. With one person watches we should be able to get a darkvision or low light vision person on at least four out of six watches.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Re: Evening watches

Post by Eanwulf » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:26 pm

Torrak's fine with whatever watch you desire. I'd suggest that the spellcasters get as much rest as they can as long as they can so they meet their 8 hr rule. This being said, you might want to actually have 2 casters and Suli take the last watch, etc.

At least that's my 2 coppers' worth...
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:52 pm

Torias prepares his spells at sunrise, and he does not need 8h rest before that. He agrees to any watch schedule you suggest. We could also make two schedules: One with Suli+1 (for semi-dangerous environents) and one with Suli+2 for dangerous environments.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:11 am

Just a note, I generally am not a stickler for the IT MUST BE 8 HOURS rule. Some people function with less sleep than others. My main concern is that everyone gets a restful nights sleep. That being said putting the spells casters at either side is one way to make sure of that. Any night with a combat in it, or with crazy situations (like a pack of hyena's hounding and laughing at you all ngiht long) will prevent that full nights rest. I'm generally pretty loose about this as long as you make effoerts to get sleep.

I do think you could work out a watch schedule with names, and such so that I will just always have it.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:27 am

Hmmm...travel per day is based off of 8 hrs, correct? If so, then let us assume that our travel schedule adheres to standard business hours as best they can, i.e. the 9-5 shift. We also need to sleep for 8 hrs. as well break to set up camp, cook, etc. This being said, shall we assume that we adhere to the following:
6 a.m. - 8 a.m. = Breaking Camp, Making Preparations for Breakfast
8 a.m. - 10 a.m. = Eating Breakfast, Making Preparations for Travel

10 a.m. - 6 p.m. = Travel

6 p.m. - 8 p.m. = Setting up Camp, Making Preparations for Dinner
8 p.m. - 10 p.m. = Eating Dinner, Making Preparations for Bed

10 p.m. - 6 a.m. = Sleepy Time for Heroes
If so, then we should try to let our casters get the most rest they can initially as well as split up those of us with Darkvision during the darkest hours, etc. How about this for a:
10 p.m. - 11 p.m. = Vren, Suli
11 pm. - 12 a.m. = Dreams & Suli
12 a.m. - 1 a.m. = Ellsbeth & Suli
1 a.m. - 2 a.m. = Torrak & Suli
2 a.m. - 3 a.m. = Torias & Suli
4 a.m. - 5 a.m. = Cyronnas & Suli
5 a.m. - 6 a.m. = Celevan & Suli
Feel free to critique and adjust as needed.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:59 pm

I'll let the group comment on this, but 4 hours of camp life on either side seems a bit harsh to me. With no eletric lighting saying up past dark becomes a bit more of a hassle, even with torches, lanterns and light spells. The days are a bit shorter too, so it gets dark early out (7pm) just like in the winter RL. you guys don't have a ton of camp gear, so setting up camp consists of making a fire and cooking whatever food you have on your nonexistant pots and pans ;) .
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:32 pm

Yea, I was thinking four hours was a bit much.

And wouldn't you know, this is one of the few characters that hasn't bought a small cooking pot for his basic gear.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:13 pm

Well then, merely trim it down 2 hrs, adding the difference to our day travels. After all, one would hope that we broke for lunch and what not!

6 a.m. - 7 a.m. = Breaking Camp, Making Preparations for Breakfast
7 a.m. - 8 a.m. = Eating Breakfast, Making Preparations for Travel

8 a.m. - 6 p.m. = Travel

6 p.m. - 7 p.m. = Setting up Camp, Making Preparations for Dinner
7 p.m. - 8 p.m. = Eating Dinner, Making Preparations for Bed

10 p.m. - 6 a.m. = Sleepy Time for Heroes

We could then run guard detail from 8 p.m. til 6 a.m. with a couple of us letting the casters turn in whilst we finish cleaning up camp, etc. for 2 hrs or so - the end result being that of needed guard duties covered from 10 p.m. until 6 a.m. or so.

Feel free to jump in anyone and everyone...I'm merely trying to establish a basis of a daily routine here :-P

paradoxa
Level 12
Level 12

Post by paradoxa » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:43 pm

Sounds reasonable, Eanwulf.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:43 am

If casters slept from 8-Midnight they could take watch from either 12-1 or 1-2 and then go back to sleep, or some facsimile thereof. This would essentially allow us to set shifts up along the lines of:

Celevan & Suli (8 pm til 10 pm)

Torrak & Suli (10 pm til Midnight)

Torias & Suli (Midnight til 2 am)

Cyronnas, Ellsbeth & Suli (2 am - 4 am)

Dreams, Vren, & Suli (4 am - 6 am)

Or any combination thereof. To me, it would appear that 10 pm til 2 am would be the greatest chance of an encounter and as such, why I put those of us with Darkvision at those times.

Feel free to modify someone and then inform Vard of our final decision.