Rules Question

This is the OOC forum for the Fallen Empires game in the Age of Ice realm.
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Rules Question

Post by Vardaen » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:15 am

So I have a question for all your Pathfinder folks, I know some of you are DMing other games with this so I want to get your opinion about this before I rule on it.

Treat Deadly Wounds*
When treating deadly wounds, you can restore hit points to a damaged creature. Treating deadly wounds restores 1 hit point per level of the creature. If you exceed the DC by 5 or more, add your Wisdom modifier (if positive) to this amount. A creature can only benefit from its deadly wounds being treated within 24 hours of being injured and never more than once per day.
*You must expend two uses from a healer's kit to perform this task.

You take a '€"2 penalty on your Heal skill check for each use from the healer's kit that you lack.

The bolded section is what I'm wondering about. I take it to mean you can only have someone Heal Check you to Treat Deadly Wounds once in a day, regardless of when or how you got the wounds. So in Vren's case she couldn't have this done again to her after the wyrms because she did after the trap? Or are we thinking it means only once per day per injury?
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Rules Question

Post by Trogdor » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:44 am

I agree that the language is a bit ambiguous. And clearly they're trying to limit the use of healer's kits as a cheap means of healing, since healing by this means is 1/5 as expensive as a CLW potion.

Now at our level, it's not a big deal. Let's say this is done by someone with an 18 Wis, meaning their trained Heal skill is probably +8. The DC is 20 to heal 1 point of damage and 25 to heal 5 points of damage. And it costs 10 gp to try. All in all, not unbalancing.

But let's advance to 8th level. Now we'll assume a 20 Wis (two increases) and maxed out Heal skill. This gives us a +16 Heal skill. The DC is 20 to heal 8 points of damage and 25 to heal 13 points of damage. And it still costs 10 gp to try. That's pretty good.

At 10th level, it gets more unbalancing. Now our maxed out healer has a +21 Heal skill. She's guaranteed to heal 10 points of damage, and has a DC 25 to heal 15.

By 16th level, her Wis may be 22, and her Heal skill is +28. Now she's guaranteed to heal 22 points on every attempt. Again, for just 10 gp.

So it seems to me that at about level 5 or below, it's no harm to allow multiple healing attempts per day, once per injury. But once you get above 5, it starts to become awfully good. And since they had to provide a single rule that applies at all levels, they really did mean no more than once per day, period.

I wish i didn't have to interpret it that way. But that seems the most reasonable interpretation of the rule to me.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:50 pm

So really you are in agreement with me that it means you can be treated for Deadly Wounds once per day, period.

I might normally allow this to be a bit looser on the low levels suggesting you could do it more often, but since this group is already rather large (6 players) you should have enough fire power to spread out the wounds, if Vren actually rolls a spot check one of these times ! (the dice hate you I guess)

So then my ruling is 1 Treat Dead per day, total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed May 26, 2010 5:27 pm

I have added a line on your sheets under the On the Fly section to note if you have had the Heal Skill: Treat Deadly Wounds used on you for the day. (I also put it on Suli). This way we will know if you can have Heal Skill used on you 'today' or not.