Chapter 1: The Vale of Two Rivers

Visit the Land of Silk and Spice, a mythical land akin to ancient China and surrounding places. The Tao of 1000 Fists is told by heroes of the martial arts, each attempting to master their art and survive in a hostile and dangerous world at the same time.This game uses L5R 4ERun by GM Tet'Nak
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Chapter 1: The Vale of Two Rivers

Post by TetNak » Mon May 10, 2010 11:56 pm

Covered in sweat, Liang Xun-Wen climbs further up the trail, the heavy pack on his back weighing him down. The heat of the day has yet to attack the vale, as the summer months are passing quickly and fall is approaching. The early morning is the best time for such activities, even the most stalwart would agree, and even still his own body burns from exertion.

The pack, filled with river rock, ensures he will not have an easy time. Many have cursed Stern He's name for developing such a training regiment, but as a son of Liang Ng Le, Xun-Wen can only comply and hope it gets easier. Over the last five years, Xun-Wen places another rock in the pack, ensuring that it never will. Maybe when the pack is full? Knowing Stern He, he will simply give him another pack.

Xun-Wen turns up the trail, knowing the ground evens out here. Xun-Wen is surprised to find someone else in the clearing, another student, Fang Chou. Chou is seated on the boulder that many sit upon, some taking a short rest here. Xun-Wen has no time for rest, however, as Stern He will be counting the seconds until he returns.

Chou looks up, spotting Xun-Wen with no level of surprise ...
Welcome to the game!
Last edited by TetNak on Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Re: Chapter 1: The Vale of Two Rivers

Post by Hayabusa » Tue May 11, 2010 2:20 am

Xun-Wen wipes the sweat off his forehead as he continues along the trail. He has no intention to stop and talk with Fang Chou, because every second he stays still is a second Stern He has to wait. But it won't be a waste of breath if he greets the student.

"Good morning, Fang Chou," Xun-Wen says as he is only ten meters away from Fang Chou. "Do you rest because you have already finished your early training?"

And even if his pack is heavy and the sweat covers his body there is no need to be unfriendly to another student. As he get closer to Fang Chou he keeps a little smile on his face as if he is grateful that Stern He has allowed him to carry the pack up the trail.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue May 11, 2010 3:10 am

Fang Chou stands up from the massive rock. Xun-Wen notices that Chou does not have a drop of sweat on him.

"You are a dutiful son," Chou says strangely, "Always pushing your body to greater and greater heights of exhaustion."

He shrugs, "I never prefer to do so. Why sweat when you can relax in comfort?"

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Tue May 11, 2010 3:33 am

"Of course I am," Xun-Wen replies. "If I neglect my duties as a son, I would bring disgrace over my father who has worked so hard in his life."

Xun-Wen is confused by Fang Chou's comments, but keeps his smiling although it almost sounds as if his fellow student wants to abandon his training.

"Isn't it obvious, Fang Chou? I want to improve myself every day. I can rest when I am as experienced as Stern He. But since I'm young I have to use the time to get better. If the rivers had rested there would be but deserts around a few, shallow lakes."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue May 11, 2010 4:01 am

"You sound like Confucious himself." Fang Chou smiles, opening his arms wide as he asks, "Xun-Wen, have you heard of the Dragon's Eye before?" He leans forward, expecting some sort of answer from the young man.
Unknown roll (at default), 17, Fail!
You have never heard of the Dragon's Eye
Confucious is just like the Confucious in RL. He died about 300 years ago.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Tue May 11, 2010 4:56 am

"Ah, you're giving me too much credit, Fang Chou," Xun-Wen says, still walking up the trail. "I'm just reciting what I read and learned. And no, I've never heard of a Dragon's Eye. I hope you don't want to join some kind of search, Fang Chou, as cannot abort my training right now."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue May 11, 2010 8:45 pm

"Search?" Chou asks, "I have already completed my search. I have found what I have sought."

He asks, "I wonder, is your endurance such that you would be able to defend yourself after such a climb?"

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Wed May 12, 2010 1:42 am

"Of course it is. If it wasn't I would've failed the Stern He's training," Xun-Wen says, the smile fading from his face. "Why do you ask, Fang Chou? Because this sounded like you want to test me right here, right now. I am happy that you completed your search but whatever it is you want from me, I will not stray from my path."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Wed May 12, 2010 11:44 pm

"I would very much like to show you what I have found," Fang Chou says.

"What do you think Stern He will say when you do not return?"

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Wed May 12, 2010 11:53 pm

"I don't know," Xun-Wen shrugs. "I cannot predict what Stern He might do. But I do NOT want to interrupt my training and get sloppy. If you want to show me something do it here and now or I can meet you later when I finished training. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to be on my way."