Chapter 1a: The Escape

Visit the Land of Silk and Spice, a mythical land akin to ancient China and surrounding places. The Tao of 1000 Fists is told by heroes of the martial arts, each attempting to master their art and survive in a hostile and dangerous world at the same time.This game uses L5R 4ERun by GM Tet'Nak
Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Re: The Escape

Post by Hayabusa » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:45 pm

"That's said so easy," Xun-Wen says trying to order his horse to accelerate and steer it out of the town. As he struggles with the beast he only throws a quick glance to Mei-Li before focusing on the animal between his legs. "You don't mind to lead, do you? I think the horse would be easier to ride if it follows another."
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:09 am

"Yes, that makes sense," says Mei-Li. "Please lead Tong Fei. And once we get into the woods we can discuss our options. Both where to keep you safe and what in Heaven's Name we're going to do with Fang Chou, who, though a thug, is an imperial magistrate. We've just beaten him senseless and now we're kidnapping him, which will certainly get the authorities angry if they ever find out, no matter if he belongs to the Dragon's Eye Cult. They will say that the law is the law and we cannot take into our own hands. If we wanted to rectify the situation, we should have gone to a higher authority--never mind that Fei would have been killed and that higher authority might have been equally corrupt." Mei-Li's voice is uncharacteristically bitter. You get the sense she does not like those in power.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:50 am

Tong Fei leads Xun-Wen and Mei-Li out of town. As far as anyone can tell, they are not spotted doing so. Almost an hour passes and the three, plus the magistrate, are deep in the woods. Certainly, Mei-Li and Xun-Wen would be lost, but Tong Fei obviously knows the area very well.

"I think we can stop here." Fei nods, "And dismount," he says with a slight, disheveled smile, "For your comfort." They haven't been riding hard, and that's a good thing for both the inexperienced riders. Fei leaves Chou tied up, laying across his horse as he slides off.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:23 pm

"I cannot tell you who relieving this is," Xun-Wen says as he dismounts the horse. He does want to show how much the riding has hurt, but he wonders how the many riders of an army must have felt and smiles, thinking that they all would share a common issue.

"Alright, Tong Fei. We had an idea where we were going, but we may have to think about someplace else. Do you have an idea?"

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:02 pm

"Well, let's tell him what we were thinking," says Mei-Li, "though you of course may have additional ideas," she says to Fei. "We didn't tell your father any of the ideas about where we might go. It was at his insistence--if he was tortured, he didn't want to have the information to confess. One option is to head to the Bamboo Gorge Abbey. It's a ways a way, but your father is known to be a patron of it, so they may come look for you there. The other option we thought of was to go to Xun-Wen's home. It's closer, but you don't have any association with it. Fang Chou, however, was planning to attack it, so some followers of the Dragon's Eye may yet descend on it. On the other, Chou was briefly a student there, which would give the teachers there some authority to lock him up and discipline for his misdeeds. We could hold him prisoner at Bamboo Gorge, but we have less claim to it." Mei-Li shrugs. "I would rather go to Bamboo Gorge, but that's because I would like to see the people there again. It's your neck on the line, so you get to decide, Tong Fei."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:43 pm

Fei rubs the nape of his horse while thinking. "I would not suggest the Vale," he says, looking at Xun-Wen. "They are peaceful people, and, Lord Bu is rightful Lord of the lands there. If he wished to take it, he could, without lawful constraint." He frowns, "The Abbey is a holy place, he would have a much more difficult time there. Or, I could go to my uncle's estate. It is a few days away, and it would be all out war if Lord Bu attempting to take me there ..."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:54 am

Mei-Li says, "I suspect they are more likely to look for you at your uncle's place than they are at the Abbey, so the latter may be the better choice. And the monks and nuns there are well trained in kung fu, so anyone who attacks the Abbey expecting an easy target may get a very rude surprise." She thinks of what happened when Gao-Ju attacked the Abbey, seeking to claim her and the resistance he met. She shifts uneasily in her saddle, wondering if she should bring another attack down on the Abbey. "On the other hand, as a noble, your uncle is a warrior first and foremost, while the monastic of Bamboo Gorge would prefer to focus on their meditations." She shrugs, embarrassed her sudden second thoughts.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:06 am

Mei-Li suddenly remembers the pouch and scroll case she took from the magistrate. She reaches into her pockets and says, "I found these on Fang Chou when I searched him, but I didn't have a chance to look at them before. We should probably look at them now, before we go on--they might tell us something about the intentions of the Dragon's Eye Cultists. And we might want to do something to stop them, if there up to anything nefarious." She opens the pouch and the scroll case and looks through them closely.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:44 pm

"Well, then the Abbey sounds like the best place to go. Although I have no idea how they think about prisoners," Xun-Wen says. He agrees that the Vale is a bad idea and their involvement and actions may already be enough that the Lord would consider to take it. The martial arts student wonders what the people will think of a Lord that just invades a peaceful kwoon. After all this is not a place that educates hundreds of soldiers and so whatever the Lord may claim it cannot be a threat of the Lord's authority. But if he actually moves against it, then Xun-Wen might have to go for Lord Bu. "I'd like to keep the Vale out of it. They're no a danger to anyone."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:13 am

The pouch is full of small jewels, coins, and other such. From what they can tell, it is quite a sum of money. Where a small town's magistrate got such is worrisome, and knowing Chou, it is probably not from reputable sources.

Opening the scroll case, Mei-Li finds there are several different pages. The first is the execution sentence from Lord Bu for Tong Fei. This appears to be a standard legal document.

The next is a personal note from one of Lord Bu's advisers to Fang Chou.

Magistrate Chou,

After the execution you are to leave Bei Li immediately. Return us, and we shall reassign you. Do not be tempted if Tong Ran attempts to stop the execution. Allow it. Encourage it. Post no guards, instruct them to allow whatever interference that comes. Ensure evidence can be gathered against him. Leave without notice, and with the signs of struggle.

Burn this letter after reading it.

Yang Su

The next letter is quite strange after reading the first.

Your plan is dangerous. Is all the wealth in the world worth the risk? We shall have words about going against our original plan.

The next appears very old, the ink is very faint ...

My husband. I fear my last days have come. I strain to write. You are far away, duty calls you, and I fear when you return I will be with the Spirits.

Our son calls to me. I shall meet him in the Heavens soon.

Your wife, Yi