Chapter 2: A Rise to Power

Visit the Land of Silk and Spice, a mythical land akin to ancient China and surrounding places. The Tao of 1000 Fists is told by heroes of the martial arts, each attempting to master their art and survive in a hostile and dangerous world at the same time.This game uses L5R 4ERun by GM Tet'Nak
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Blind Leading the Blind

Post by Muskrat » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:25 am

Mei-Li nods grimly at Yu's words. "Well, then, we must find somewhere safe to hide the gem, so it will not fall back into the hands of the cult. I certainly don't want to keep carrying something so evil around--even if there were not the possibility of being captured and having the gem taken from me. I would suggest hiding it at the Bamboo Gorge Abbey, but we already know that the cult plans to attack it. Do you have any suggestions as to where me might safely hide it?"

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:38 am

"So magic and sorcerers and dragons are real?" Xun-Wen asks baffled. Mei-Li's father was weird enough after he drank the potion. But if there really are sorcereds what can a simple, young man do against them. Alone he'd certainly be lost and barely more than a fly. So it is better to try and work with these people, he decides.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:05 pm

Anming considers the statements made by the strangers. The monk isn't ready to believe in sorcery, but he has not yet made up his mind. The monk asks, "If the following works in sorcery then how can anyone stand against it's corrupt influence?"

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:41 pm

"We must teach the people the truth. They must rise up against the Emperor, to teach him what is happening. Our beloved Emperor is no more that sixteen years old. His advisers corrupt, for the sake of the Cult of the Dragon and to other ends. Only he may save our Empire now. What one man can do against a sorcerer," Yu shrugs, "They have power, but it knows an end, using the power is costly." Yu takes a deep breath and shakes her head, "Wherever it may be hid, it will be found. It requires guardians. As to the rest, fantastical things do exist, or they do not, all is perspective. Just days ago, they did not exist to you, and so they did not. But to Bao-Shi, they did indeed, and so they do."
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:29 am

Anming asks, "What cost does the power have? Why does the cult wish to do harm to the people?"

The monk considers the question regarding cost for the power, a somewhat philosophical question whereas power tends to corrupt the soul of many individuals, but the sorcery powers may also have more of a physical manifestation of corruption.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:55 am

"The cult wants dominion over the Empire. They will do so by any means necessary. Warlords have long done the same thing, here and there, wars are always on the horizon. But a war led by the powers they control may be unstoppable. I since that if it comes to pass, the people will pay with their lives and freedoms." Yu continues concerning the power, "The corruption of body, mind, and spirit. The power is difficult to resist. And when the aim is that of what this cult aspires to, filling yourself with the power increases your own control over the power, and thus makes one stronger. But sorcerers of this nature eventually go mad and are lost in this evil for an eternity. Only through their death are they released from such a prison."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:15 am

Mei-Li grimaces at this. "Then we will want to stop them before too many of them have lost themselves entirely. But what do you suggest I do with them gem? I am willing to act as its guardian for now, but I would prefer to take it someplace safer. For a wandering xia to carry it around as she travels the country is hardly the most secure way to guard it, especially given that I am only a young xia of modest talents."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:28 am

"And no magical inclination, at least that I'm aware," Yu says, "This will protect you, all, from the lure of its power. You are also trusted, and thus, are suitable to be the guardian." She looks at the gem and then asks, "Can you please put that from my sight?" Mei-Li and the rest notice she's shaking slightly.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:34 pm

Xun-Wen has no idea how they could influence the Emperor when he's surrounded by his corrupted advisors and all of them may have armies to protect them. He doesn't even know if it will be possible to come within a mile of the young regent.

"Can't we just put it in a box, add some stones and throw it in the ocean after sailing a day out?" He asks, clearly still thinking that that will keep anyone from touching it. "No one can dive hundreds of meters below the surface to get it."
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:59 pm

"An interesting idea," Yu said, "One I had though of briefly. I am fearful that Bao-Shi may know you have the ruby. Did he see it?" she asks.