Chapter 2: A Rise to Power

Visit the Land of Silk and Spice, a mythical land akin to ancient China and surrounding places. The Tao of 1000 Fists is told by heroes of the martial arts, each attempting to master their art and survive in a hostile and dangerous world at the same time.This game uses L5R 4ERun by GM Tet'Nak
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Chapter 2: A Rise to Power

Post by TetNak » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:07 pm

Upon their black and white steeds, Ping Mei-Li and Liang Xun-Wen ride northwest through the relatively untouched forest. Mei-Li leads them along the road, avoiding wrong turns as the road diverges several times in various directions. They stay at inns both nights of their journey, the third will hopefully be spend at the Bamboo Gorge Abbey.

The third days seems both ride with far more confidence as both get the hang of being on a horse. And Mei-Li obviously knows that they are moving at a much faster pace than they would walking, especially now that both of them are working better with their mounts.

The last day sees them forced to ford a river, which is not covered by a bridge, but compared to those Xun-Wen knows, it is very small. The river, WÄ"i Xiǎo Gōng ZhÇ", or just Gōng ZhÇ", the Little Princess River, is passed over easily. The other side is less a road and more a trail which steadily pulls upward into the climbing elevation between a continuing dense forest. Eventually, after a half day of travel the trail turns onto a flattened spot over looking the river below. Mei-Li knows his place as home, the Bamboo Gorge Abbey.
Welcome to chapter 2! Shurijo will join us shortly. Muskrat feel free to describe the abbey as you know it
Last edited by TetNak on Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Chapter 2: A Rise to Power

Post by Muskrat » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:57 am

"Ah, here we are," says Mei-Li, delight breaking across her face. The monastery appears to be fully rebuilt now, all traces of Gao-ju's attack gone, which was not true when Mei-Li left several months ago. "It will be good to be back again." She glances as Xun-Wen, adding, "And I think you will find my teachers here as welcoming to you as yours were to me at the kwoon of Two Rivers Vale. And the first of them we shall most likely meet is Yan, the gatekeeper. She is also an ordained teacher--she is charged with keeping the gate, for she is a good judge of character and thus decides who should be admitted and who turned away. Mostly, that applies to students, not guests, but occasionally she'll send away guests who are obviously up to no good." She urges her horse onward.
I have no idea if such a role is traditional in Chinese monasteries, but it sounds cool. I'm afraid I stole the idea from the Master Doorkeeper at the Wizards' Academy on Roke in LeGuin's Earthsea Trilogy.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:33 am

"Well, I hope I can meet her expectations," Xun-Wen says smiling, although he's not sure if he should smile right now. He has never been far away from the Vale and so he hasn't ever seen another kwoon or other school. Of course he knows how different other teachers can be by watching Stern He alone. "It would be quite unfortunate if I had to wait outside for you. As long as she's not as strict as Master He, then I think I'll be alright. She's not as strict, is she?"
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:36 am

"Well," said Mei-Li slowly, "she's never made me climb hills carrying huge rocks. But she's more interested in your moral character than she is in your physical prowess." Mei-Li looks at Xun-Wen reassuringly. "I don't think you have anything to worry about. It's not like she's looking for perfection--if that was the case, only the Lord Buddha could gain entrance to the monastery. She's just looking to see if you have a basically good heart, alongside whatever flaws you may have."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:09 pm

The gate stands guarded. It was not always so, but when the latest attack came against the monastery, who enters becomes far more important for the safety of everyone. Spies and thieves were sent, causing havoc amongst the monks and nuns before the attack came.

Walking as they meditate are two young monks at the ornate arched gate, which has only recently been restored. Mei-Li remembers the blood stains and fire damage all too well.

She recognizes both monks, one is Jiang Anming, the other, Sun Toang.
Welcome Shurijo to the game!
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:09 pm

When she sees the two monks, Mei-Li grins in delight and has her horse gallop the rest of the way to the gate. She tries to get off her horse as quickly as possible while still maintaining a ladylike decorum. When she is down, she bows precisely to both of them and then says, "It is good to see you Anming and Toang. How have things been here at the monastery? I see that things have been repaired." She feels a little guilty as she says this, knowing that she was indirectly responsible for the attack. "I have come back to consult with Master Chen and the other elders about an evil cult that has appeared. And my friend here, Liang Xun-Wen of the kwoon at Two Rivers Vale, is in need of medical treatment. He got a bit beat up in our last encounter with the cultists, though ultimately we defeated them."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:29 am

Anming nods as Mei-Li speaks. His bare head bobbing up and down as she tells the story of the evil cult and that her friend needs medical treatment. His hands are covered by the oversized arms of his robes.

"Ah, you must come into the King of Herbs Hall. I have just collected several herbs that we can use. I see that you are standing upright and appear to be of good health, what types of wounds do you suffer from, friend?"

The young monk appears to be less than twenty years old. On his hips, rest a belt along with several bags and jars full of herbs and other natural elements.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:24 am

Xun-Wen quickly dismounts his horse and greets the two man with a respectful bow.

"I am Liang Xun-Wen, son of Liang Ng Le, Master of the Home of Warriors," he introduces himself again. "I am sorry to bother you with my injuries, but I received them while defending someone else. As you might have guessed, I am not educated as you were and so I do not know the exact desciption of my injuries, but my right arm got the worst punishment when someone hit me with a club while I fought another man. Forgive my unkindliness, but who of you is Jiang Anming and who is Sun Toang? "
Hello Shurijo. Great that you joined us. :D
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:04 pm

Toang bows slightly, being the elder at the gate, he says, "Brother, take them to the King of Herbs Hall. Then see to Yan." Yan the Gatekeeper, Xun-Wen assumes.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:10 pm

"Ah, excellent," says Mei-Li. "I have a minor injury to my hand that might benefit from being looked at, but you should attend to Xun-Wen first." She is looking around her, obviously delighted to be seeing the Abbey after several months away. The Tongs were very respectful hosts, but she never quite felt at home there.