Chapter 3: The Gaze of the Dragon

Visit the Land of Silk and Spice, a mythical land akin to ancient China and surrounding places. The Tao of 1000 Fists is told by heroes of the martial arts, each attempting to master their art and survive in a hostile and dangerous world at the same time.This game uses L5R 4ERun by GM Tet'Nak
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Chapter 3: The Gaze of the Dragon

Post by TetNak » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:11 pm

Two days have passed since the meeting with the strange collection of freedom fighters, led by a mysterious woman named Yu. Nothing has been heard from them, not by falcon or voice, since Mei-Li, Xun-Wen, and Anming departed. The path set by Yu was not an easy one, and it has taken the trio quite a while to climb down what appears to be a long lost trail. They have been lost on more than on occasion, and thought they were lost even more as the trail seems to disappear at points here and there. There is one thing to be said, if any were following them, unless they knew the area better, they would suffer a similar fate of confusion.

The sun is waning in the distance, but that last light shows a deep valley below, which both Mei-Li and Anming recognize right away as Bamboo Gorge. The abbey will be on the opposite side, over looking the valley, but so will the main road, which cuts around these mountains and winds around the gorge itself to the backside of the holy place. There are no signs of soldiers from here, but the road is greatly obscured from this area. Although, they must decide whether to take the road, or try to go across the gorge to avoid it, which would be a major feat in braving the climb down and up the gorge to reach the abbey on the other side.
Welcome to Chapter 3! I hope you are enjoying the game as much as I am! Any comments or suggestions are great appreciated
Last edited by TetNak on Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Chapter 3: The Gaze of the Dragon

Post by Muskrat » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:50 am

Mei-Li looks back at the path they took to get here. She doubts she could retrace her steps through the maze they just passed through. "I can see why Yu said we wouldn't be able to find their hideout again--that's assuming it isn't protected by enchantments on top of being in a really remote place." Her face is haggard, still feeling the grief at her parents' betrayal. Though the others do not realize it, she has silently cried herself to sleep the past two nights.

She looks forward again and says to Anming, as the other person knowledgeable of the area, "What do you think? It would probably make the most sense to scout out the road and see if it's safe to take. We should try to find a place where we can get a good view of it from a height, to see if there are soldiers on it. If we take the long way, climbing, I don't know if we'd get to the Abbey in time. Though we may not have much choice."
I'm having great fun. All the twists and turns in the last adventure were really something, though the betrayal on top of betrayal came close to breaking my suspension of disbelief. It was kind of weird having an entire adventure without combat in a martial arts campaign, though we did choose to run away rather than fight ...

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:12 pm

Anming nods saying, "I believe the road to be easier to travel and we might find friends heading to the abbey along the road."

The monk takes a minute to take a few deep breaths. He's glad they have safely returned to the monastery. He's quest to heal Mei-Li's mother was somewhat successful, but with a confusing and ended with a somewhat larger problem now in the region.
What is the time difference (days?) between taking road and crossing the gorge?

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Mon Dec 26, 2011 11:36 pm

Xun-Wen is still wondering why it took them so long to find a way that a blind man used to lead them. While they were blindfolded the path was certainly shorter and less dangerous, the young man thinks. He doesn't know this area very well so cannot add his opinion to say how they should approach the abbey.

"At least it doesn't look like the abbey has been attacked yet. Perhaps it takes longer to prepare a lot of soldier than I thought," he says. "Though it may be faster to take the road it may also be watched by scouts for the soldiers. Maybe they've been waiting just for us."
I like the game a lot too and it's nice to see how it developed after it was only one player and one GM.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue Dec 27, 2011 9:13 pm

Mei-Li nods at Xun-Wen's words. "We could try moving along the woods on the side of the road--we're less likely to be seen that way, but it will also be slower." She shrugs, then says, "I think we should start by scouting out the road. Once we see if it's clear or not, then we can make further plans." She starts forward, trying to aim for a high place where they can get a good view of the road.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:52 am

Anming nods and follows along. He also wants to scout out the road and if possible use the road as the quickest and most preferred way of getting to the abbey.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:06 am

Haya - I'm not sure what you meant exactly. This is not the way you came up the mountain, led by the blind guy, this was another way out of that area. You're basically near the abbey and away from Quon Da
The current location gives a good vantage of the road. In either direction there is nothing out of sorts. Everything appears as Mei-Li left it. The abbey in the distance is still rebuilding, she can tell, and what are specks in the distance are monks and nuns walking the grounds doing their daily work. If they decide to brave the gorge, they may end up at the abbey faster, but the climb might in fact delay them greatly, if they can make it at all. There is no evidence that the falcons sent two days ago has prompted any change through the abbey either, if they were received the monks and nuns are not changing what they do from what can be told from a distance, at the very least.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:31 am

Mei-Li looks at her companions and says, "Well, I say we should take the road and just be cautious. It looks safe enough, for now." If there are no objections, she starts down the way towards the road.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:53 am

Anming nods and begins following Mei-Li towards the road.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:46 pm

Xun-Wen just shrugs and follows Mei-Li as well. Being caught in discussion will only delay their arrival at the abbey.

"Have any of you ever wandered the area around the Bamboo Gorge monastery?" He asks. "Because since you've learned and trained here you probably know this better than any soldier or scout who've been sent here."
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."