Chapter 3: The Gaze of the Dragon

Visit the Land of Silk and Spice, a mythical land akin to ancient China and surrounding places. The Tao of 1000 Fists is told by heroes of the martial arts, each attempting to master their art and survive in a hostile and dangerous world at the same time.This game uses L5R 4ERun by GM Tet'Nak
Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Re: On the run

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:08 pm

After yawning and scratching his head Xun-Wen gets up and takes a seat again. He feels a bit stuffed, having eaten so shortly before sleeping the night and waking up only to be fed again. If there was no trouble outside the vale then he would be running up the hills and not sitting and being served.

"Master Po, is there a river or some place where we can bath?" He asks not stopping the old man from distributing and sharing his food.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

A Morning With Master Po

Post by TetNak » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:33 pm

Po nods, "There is a brook out back," he says, "Cool water, but refreshing I find." Po eats happily and acts as though there is not a care in the world. Fei eats himself, but still looks dour. Who could blame him with what he has been through.
I think it is, at least OOCly, time to make plans for what you guys will do. We'll be starting a new chapter soon.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: A Morning With Master Po

Post by Muskrat » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:51 pm

When she finishes her meal, Mei-Li puts the bowl, unconsciously expecting a servant to wash it, as always happened when she was growing up. She bows to their host and says, "Thank you, Master Po, for sheltering us for the night." To the others, she says, "I think we had best get moving to deliver the scroll Anming carries to the Taoist monastery as soon as possible. We have already been delayed, though by a most worthy cause I'm sure our teachers would approve of." She then turns to that worthy cause and asks, "Fei, have you decided what you want to do yet?" Her concern for the young noble is clear in her voice. She hopes he will not do anything brave but foolhardy that will throw his life away.
I didn't think there was much planning to do--we simply continue on with the mission we were charged with before we decided to rescue Fei. Anyone think we should do something different?

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:44 am

Not necessarily
Fei takes a deep breath, "I am going to Quon Da," he says. "I am going to search for my parents. Maybe I can help them." He too sits his bowl down, "Do not worry, if I get caught, there will be no more rescue attempts. I will escape or die. I thank you for your aid and offer you my hope that you shall find what it is you are looking for."
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:17 am

I think we basically have 2 subplots going on now. 1) scroll and wizard, and 2) The Tongs family

If we go after scroll subplot, then that leaves Fei to try and rescue his parents.
Anming bows his thanks to Master Po for the food. "Thank you Master Po. You have been generous to offer such assistance." When Mei-Li speaks with Fei, the young monk sits and listens. The monk has been charged with a task, but would not object to helping their friend.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:50 am

I think Shurijo has the right of it.
"That is foolish but understandable. I would do the same for my loved ones, even walk the path to doom because if I would let them suffer then it would be far worse," Xun-Wen says. He does not decide what to do so he looks to Mei-Li. He has no intention to return into a dragon's den and they have been tasked with the protection of the scroll but letting Fei walk towards the death of the Tong family seems bad enough. "There is no way to persuade you to choose another path, is there, Fei?"
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:58 am

Fei shakes his head at Xun-Wen. "What is my life worth if I do not try to save my family? To walk in shame every day until I do finally die?" He sighs, "My life would not be worth living. There are worse fates than death. Death greets us all regardless of the life we lead. I will lead a life of honor. I shall not let my family suffer as I have suffered."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:18 am

Mei-Li is silent as Fei speaks. She has been betrayed twice by her own family and no longer feels any loyalty to her parents. At some level, she envies Fei, who still has this bond with his parents.

After a while she says, "I would tell you that I do not think your parents would want you to sacrifice your life for theirs, but to live on and carry on your family's lineage and honor. But I've already told you that and I'm guessing arguing any further with you won't change your mind." She looks at Anming. "Our teachers charged you with a mission. Should we go forward with it? Or should we help Fei?" The truth is Mei-Li is uncertain what to do. She would like to help Fei, but she fears that they are on a suicide mission.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:32 am

Anming ponders the question put forth. He's been quite silent during the companions conversations, but then he begins telling a story.
This is one of my favorite Buddhist folktales
I'm editing out the long parts, so it doesn't take up the whole page, but feel free to read entire story below
Full story is here http://www.aaronshep.com/rt/RTE16.html
"Once long ago, there arose a quarrel between two kings. One king was the great Brahmadatta. His kingdom was large and rich, and his troops were many. The other king was Dighiti. His kingdom was small and poor, and his troops were few."

.... Brahmadatta captures Dighit (king) and wife. Prince Dighavu escapes ...

"Brahmadatta seething with anger says 'Tie them up and cart them around the city for all to see and scorn. Then take them out the south gate and execute them by the sword. Allow no one to perform the funeral rites. Their bodies shall be prey to birds and beasts."

"Now, on that very day, Prince Dighavu had come back to Benares to visit his parents. As he passed through the marketplace, he saw soldiers on horse and on foot, and among them a cart, and tied up in the cart, his mother and his father. And he was powerless to help them."

"King Dighiti saw the prince as well. Wishing to advise his son, yet mindful not to give him away, Dighiti called out as if to no one. And these were his words:

Be not shortsighted.
Be not longsighted.
Not by violence is violence ended.
Violence is ended by nonviolence.

"As darkness fell, King Dighiti and Queen Deva were taken outside the city walls and executed by the sword."

... Prince Dighavu plots to kill King Brahmadatta, but when he has King Brahmadatta head in his arms sleeping and his sword at the King's throat, he understands his fathers plea ...

"Prince Dighavu tells King Brahmadatta , 'My father meant this: You, my lord, have killed my parents and stolen their kingdom. If I were to kill you in revenge, your allies would kill me, and then my allies would kill them, and so on, with no end to violence. But now instead, you have granted my life and I have granted yours. So violence is at an end."

... King Brahmadatta grants Prince Dighavu his kingdom back and peace is forever restored ...

"I weep at the saddness brought forth by the Dragon, but violence is not ended by violence. We must seek a way to change the path. Your father, like King Dighiti, would not want you to continue the cycle of violence. Fei, be wise like Prince Dighavu and let us try to end the violence."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:09 am

Fei is going to respond to Mei-Li, so it appears, but then listens to Anming's story. At the very end, his face turns beet red. "Do you suppose if I asked the Dragon kindly to restore my lands they will?" The red-faced Fei then breaks out into a long, nearly hysterical fit of laughter, ending with a loud sigh. "Maybe you should go and ask the Dragon if he will give back your monestary." He gives Anming a sour look, "You do not look like you've had a hard day in your life." He stands up and grunts, "Do what you want, but do not tell me to be peaceful for peace sake." With that, the man storms out of the hut.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name