Prelude: That Damn Bank

The year, 1880, the place, the Wild West. Steel will be drawn, will you survive when it does? Will you make your fortune or squander everything for a drink, some cards, and a girl.Run by DM Tet'Nak using GURPS 4E.
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Prelude: That Damn Bank

Post by TetNak » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:41 pm

Holt takes the wagon and drives over to Joanna's house. She's a nice enough lady, and a good friend to his wife. Holt is happy he doesn't have Loretta just to nag at him all day, her time spent with Joanna is nice for that regard in itself.

Loretta waves from the front porch where she and Joanna are sitting. Holt's son is out in the yard playing with the dog.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:25 pm

Holt pulls the wagon up to the house and tethers the horses to the hitching post, not that they will go far with the wagon attached to their harnesses. He waves at Jim and then heads up the porch stairs tipping his hat to Joanna and his wife. "The Reverend is recovering with the doc, and looks like the bandit will be handled with the Marshal right and proper. You ladies doing well?" He takes off his hat now and fans himself a bit to keep the heat and the flys off.
A note, I'm not sure what's next. Really Holt probably would just go home soon and back to his normal life.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:25 pm

Holt arrives and chit-chats for a couple hours, but there is work to be done, and Holt returns to the ranch. The next couple days pass and Holt's leg gets better where he barely feels anything. He was lucky on that one. The rustler is hanged and the only change is that Holt's cattle get sicker.

Finally, the day is fast approaching to pay his note. He isn't going to be able to get anything out of these cows as sick as they are. He could not pay and just see what happens, or ... he looks at the bounties spread across his table ...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:35 pm

Holt rubs his face with a clentched fist, he seems worried and upset and sent Jim away in an angry outburst that sends the kid running. A hand bangs the table hard, "Damn it, damn it all. A man tries to be honor, but what does he get?" He is blerry-eyed as he's been working late into the night and not sleeping well as he worries about the note being due and how he's going to pay it.

Finally he picks up one of the bounties and re-reads it again, for the tenth time, just so he understands it.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:06 am

Holt looks over the warrants again ...

Warrant #1

Name: Jethro Tucker
Wanted For: Cattle Rustling, Horse Thievery, Murder
Bounty (Alive): 500
Bounty (Dead): 250

Warrant #2

Name: Elias Tucker
Wanted For: Cattle Rustling, Horse Thievery
Bounty (Alive): 250
Bounty (Dead): 100

Warrant #3

Name: John Simpson
Wanted For: Cattle Rustling, Horse Thievery
Bounty (Alive): 250
Bounty (Dead): 100

They are known associates with the Tucker Ranch, some thirty miles further out of town than Holt's ranch. Their grandfather is Henry Tucker, son is Jethro, and Jethro's son and adopted son, Elias and John. Henry has no warrants on him, and although suspected as part of their rustling gang, is not in trouble with the law. Likely, those caught and killed trying to steal with Holt were associated with these men somehow.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:27 pm

Holt holds the paper in one hand with a strong fist. "Damn it, damn it to hell." He bangs his hand on the table and then stands up. "Loretta..." he calls to his wife and then looks at her when she arrives. "I have to go." He clearly is distressed by this fact, and rubs his face once, his red eyes showing signs of weariness and anger all at once.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:53 pm

"Go?" Loretta asks, walking into the den, "What do you mean, go? Go where?" Her head cocks to the side, looking at Holt questioningly. Holt knows she's not going to be pleased.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:08 am

Holt walks over to her and gives her a big hug and then a loving kiss. "To deal with these." He shows her the bounties. "The cattle is all sick, and they get sicker faster than I can seperate them from the others. The whole herd is going have the fevor before we know it. The bill is coming due and our pockets are empty Loretta. I need to make us some money, and this is the quickest way how."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:29 am

Loretta looks down at the warrants, the back to Holt. He can tell she isn't happy. But, she doesn't really object, at least verbally. "Okay, Holt," she says, "You doing this alone?" She doesn't seem to think that's a good idea.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:39 am

Holt shakes his head no, "I thought I'd go into town and see if I can't rustle me up a posey. Cut a few others in on the bounty, we don't need all that money, a share of the bounty will be enough I hope." He sighs, not happy about it, but he has no choice in the matter. "I'll go into town tomorrow."