[Prelude] Game Master's Challenge: Matthew Beckett

A brand new era for humanity and mutantkind begins here! The rise of mutants coincided with global and secret agencies dedicated to detain all mutants and protect humanity. Most of earth's population including presidents, prime ministers, and royal families remain unaware of the mutant struggle and their powers. 'Nuff said.

GM: The Silver Shurijo
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Re: Beckett - Room 2 v Strange man

Post by Shurijo » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:15 pm

Init: Stranger 14, Beckett 10

Stranger attack: 1d20 + 5 = 25, natural 20, hit
damage: 2

DC 15 + 2 = 17
Saving throw: 1d20 + 6 = 17, no effect
The man steps in and throws a quick over hand at Beckett and connects, but Beckett recognized the lead in to the attack and moves just enough out of the way to avoid being injured by the punch.

"Nice move," he replies as he repositions himself by weaving back a step. "I didn't think you'd fall for that one."
Well-Informed: not from past, not recognized

this hand-to-hand, might go a few rounds....

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:18 pm

Alright here's what I'd like to do if I (or rather the dice) are good enough. I say it here, because you know what I intend to do so in case I describe something wrong or incomplete you still get the general idea.
Beckett tries to grapple, then pin and then choke his opponent.
Standard Action, Grapple. All-Out-Attack.
Extra Effort: on the opposed grapple check. Use HP to ignore fatigue.
As far as I've understood the rule, I have to make an attack for the grapple now and then, if the grapple succeeds and the opponent can't free himself, he should be pinned, right? That's the pint where I wanted to Chokehold him.
"No, not really," Beckett replies as he closes in on his opponent. "But I am surprised that you return to the defense so fast."
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:20 am

Correct. 1st you have to get a 'hit', then you need to win an opposed grapple contest, then (if succeed in entering into the grapple) you can do one of the following: damage (normal melee dmg), throw, or pin. Chokehold is automatic for you, if you can get to the 'pin' status. Also, you have to use the HP next round to remove fatigue (can't use it in same round that you use the extra effort).

How many points do you want in All Out Attack? You can trade anywhere from 1 to 5 into attack bonus that will be removed from your defense bonus next round. I'll just say 2 points in All out Attack

Beckett to hit roll: 1d20 + All Out Attack (2) + 5 = 19
Stranger defense: 10 + 6 = 16

hit

Opposed grapple check:
Beckett: 1d20 + 7 + 2 (extra effort) = 27
Stranger: 1d20 + 7 = 17

successfully entered into grapple
Stranger is pinned with -4 defense and no dodge bonus
Chokehold initiated

Beckett starts next round with -2 Defense, 1 bruise (-1 toughness save, from previous fight), and fatigued status (-2 str, -2 dex, -1 attack, -1 defense)

Stranger can hold breath for 2 rounds before going unconscious
Beckett swoops in grabbing the stranger's arm and quickly knocks out his leg pushing him to the floor. The former spy has done this before and it shows as he quickly moves into a chokehold position with the stranger pinned.
stranger's turn, try to escape

opposed grapple check
Beckett: 1d20 +7 -2 (fatigued) = 16
Stranger: 1d20 + 7 = 23

won grapple check, so Stranger isn't pinned, but he's still grappled, caught his breath
The stranger struggles free of the chokehold, but Beckett still has the man in his grip. He fights to free himself, but Beckett's hold is solid.
You can try another opposed grapple to pin him and start another chokehold. If you use your HP to remove fatigued, then your opposed checks will be on par with his.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:15 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot to give you a number on the All-Out-Attack. Sorry.
What can I do with a free hand of Improved grapple? Am I alllowed to punch him while I grapple him?
When the stranger is out of the chokehold Beckett changes his tactic and instead of waiting until the man gives up or loses consciousness, he delivers a punch to the man's knidney. But before he can aim for his weak spot Beckett slightly changes the hold of grip and slips his arm around the stranger's head and puts the back of his hand against the opposite cheek before he can begin to pound his opponent in the back.
Use HP to cancel fatigue.
Action: Opposed Grapple to get him back into the pin/chokehold.
Punch him with the free hand.
Last edited by Hayabusa on Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:48 am

Improved Grapple: You can make grapple attacks with one hand. If you pin an opponent, you can maintain the pin with one hand and use the other hand for another action (such as damage). I'm thinking that's your best move, if you keep him pinned and keep the chokehold (with one hand) then use punching (damage) with the other hand, you'll either beat or choke him to death...

You are still in grapple, he only broke free of the pin/chokehold. if you want to go back into the pin mode, you just need to make an opposed grapple check.

Letting him stand back up, would probably put you back at equal standing. Let me know, if you want to change your action and maintain the grapple or if you want to release the grapple and try for a trip move.
Opposed grapple check:

Beckett: 1d20 +7 = 27, natural 20
Stranger: 1d20 + 7 = 18

Successful grapple check, stranger is pinned, chokehold initiated, 2 rounds until unconscious

Damage: 2 (str)

Toughness DC: 15 + 2 = 17
Toughness save: 1d20 + 6 = 14

failed toughness save, bruised (-1 to tough saves)
Matthew quickly regains his chokehold after the strange man eluded him once before. The two are equally matched, but Beckett seems to have gained a slight upper hand with the aggressive grappling moves and chokeholds. As Beckett uses the stranger's own arm to apply a chokehold, he uses his other hand to punch the man in the kidney.
trying to escape pin:

Beckett: 1d20 +7 = 24
Stranger: 1d20 + 7 = 23
failed to escape

1 round till unconscious
The stranger fights to free himself from the chokehold and almost breaks free, but Beckett's hold stays true.

Assuming, choke and punch technique repeats
Opposed grapple check:

Beckett: 1d20 +7 = 26
Stranger: 1d20 + 7 = 8

Successful grapple check, stranger is pinned,

Damage: 2 (str)

Toughness DC: 15 + 2 = 17
Toughness save: 1d20 + 6 -1 (bruise) = 24

successful toughness save, bruised (-1 to tough saves)
Matthew continues to apply the chokehold as the stranger tries to free himself. Beckett tries to punch and connects with the man's side, but in his attempt to try to free himself from the chokehold, he's able to deflect any damage from the blow.
trying to escape pin:

Beckett: 1d20 +7 = 21
Stranger: 1d20 + 7 = 16
failed to escape

failed, unconscious
After a few more moments of applying the chokehold, the man loses conscious and Beckett can feel the man's strength and weight give out within his hold.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:51 pm

Beckett drops the man to the ground without caring much about his well-being. After all the stranger just shot one of his presumed allies only to test his combat abilities against him. The former agent does a quick search on his latest opponent and disables the man's pistol in a matter of seconds after he has removed the slide and tossed the pin holding the slide down the range.

Drawing his own weapon Beckett proceeds up to the illusionary wall, carefully testing it before walking up to the exit door.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:09 pm

Beckett leaves the masked man lying on the ground and proceeds to the next room. He pushes the door open and finds that there are no other challenges awaiting him. Instead, the room is filled will television like monitors that shows his challenges and battles with the ninjas and masked man alongside hundreds of other beings including non-human looking beings performing similar feats.

"Congratulations, Matthew Beckett. You have completed the challenges. These are but a few of the tests for the judges. If you are judged worthy, then we may bring you back to compete against others. It is a shame that you will not remember this." The strange voice ends it's communication just as the room begins to go dark and Beckett's vision begins to become blurry.

Moments later, Beckett awakes within his cheap hotel room somewhere in eastern Europe with no recollection of the previous events. Thinking he just awoke from a dream, he looks over and discovers a small miniature figurine that appears to be made of a soft metal substance that shares an uncanny resemblance to him.
end of challenge

I think you had some ideas on character tweaks, if so, feel free to come up with some minor changes this week and let me know.

I'll run through some of the tweaks that we spoke about via PM and see how many PP are remaining.