[Prelude] Game Master's Challenge: Orion

A brand new era for humanity and mutantkind begins here! The rise of mutants coincided with global and secret agencies dedicated to detain all mutants and protect humanity. Most of earth's population including presidents, prime ministers, and royal families remain unaware of the mutant struggle and their powers. 'Nuff said.

GM: The Silver Shurijo
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Orion - Room 2, Round 2

Post by Shurijo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:54 am

Initiative: Orion, Flying Robot 1, Flying Robot 2
Orion, to hit = 1d20 + 7 = 11
Robot 1 Def: 10 + 3 (flatfooted) = 13

hit = miss
Orion rushes towards one of the two flying robots and sends his cosmic fist smashing towards it's metallic frame. However, the robot seems to have anticipated the hero's attack and quickly readjusted itself to avoid the potentially devastating blow.

Flying Robot 1 and Flying Robot 2 use combined attack

Orion Defense = 10 + 5 = 15
Flying Robot 1, to hit = 1d20 + 6 = 24 vs 15 = hit
Flying Robot 2, to hit = 1d20 + 6 = 15 vs 15 = hit

Damage = 8
Save DC = 15 + 8 = 23 + 2 (combined) = 25

Toughness roll = 1d20 + 9 = 23, failed by 2, bruised

The lasers have 'penetrating' effect, so it ignores imper toughness. Otherwise, you wouldn't have been hurt. I needed to have some sort of challenge for you :) Your enemies won't always have 'penetrating' attacks, but I wanted to have some sort of combat contest in the warm-up with something that could hurt you without it being PL 10+.

Orion, Bruised 1,
-1 to toughness saves
The two robots synchronize their attacks to increase the chance of penetrating Orion's defenses and their plan seem to work as both laser blasts land against the hero inflicting minor damage. Orion soon realizes that these flying robots lasers are able to penetrate his superior cosmic defenses.
Round 2

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Orion - Room 2, Round 2

Post by Trogdor » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:49 am

This was not looking promising. Orion considers his options and leaps to action. Grabbing for each robot, the cosmically-powered hero looks to smash the two together. Barring that, he looks to at least smash one into the wall.
Standard Action: Attack FR1 with Str
Extra Effort: Surge to attack FR2 with Str
Use a hero point to reroll if one of the rolls is below 15. (One HP max. If I blow both rolls, just reroll the first)

Move as necessary for this.

The smashing the two together or the smashing into a wall is just flavor text. Orion is making a Strength attack against each attacker.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Re: Orion - Room 2, Round 3

Post by Shurijo » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:38 am

Orion, to hit fr1 = 1d20 + 7 = 12 (unarmed attack)
Orion, to hit fr1 = 1d20 + 7 = 23 (unarmed attack)

-1 HP to reroll attack, 2 HP remaining
Orion, to hit fr1 = 1d20 + 7 = 26 (unarmed attack)

Robot 1 Def: 10 + 6 = 16
Robot 2 Def: 10 + 6 = 16

Hit FR1, Hit FR2

Toughness DC is 15 + 7 = 22
FR1 Saving throw = 1d20 + 8 = 10 vs 22, failed by 10+ disabled
FR2 Saving throw = 1d20 + 8 = 24 vs 22, passed, no effect

almost worked, only the saving throw passed for fr2

Orion is now fatigued (-2 str, -2 dex, -1 attack, -1 defense)
Orion moves quickly to cover the ground between the robots. He grabs at the two robots and easily grasp the two flying constructs. With both in his hands, he slams to two together using his cosmic enhanced strength. As the two come smashing together, one of them is hit in the central processing unit and slowly begins to descend from flying and lower itself to the floor becoming disabled.

As sparks fly from the disabled robot, the other one seems to have angled itself so that only one of the two constructs were to become disabled rather than both of them.

The only working flying robot now repositions itself and prepares to fire another laser blast at Orion. This time the robot doesn't have a companion to coordinate attacks, but it's programmed to continue the attacks until the challenger has been defeated and such it carries out it's routine.
Initiative: Orion, Flying Robot 2

FR2 attack: 1d20 + 6 = 12 vs Orion def 15, failed
The flying robot fires the laser towards Orion, but it's way off target. Seeing the miss, it figures that hitting the other robot might not have damaged the it's exterior, but may have messed up it's targeting sensors. As it prepares to adjust it's targeting sensors, Orion moves on for a another attack.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:51 am

Technically Orion doesn't become fatigued until the beginning of his next action, i.e., now. It's a minor point, but it could be important.
Having evened the playing field a bit, Orion moves in to finish this with a slug-fest. He aims an uppercut at the remaining robot's head, hoping to finish this one off as well.
Use HP to cancel fatigue.
Move to engage
Standard punch attack on the robot.

I can see the importance in getting a few combat feats to beef up his attacks.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:51 am

Correct. I copied/pasted that last bit about fatigued into the wrong spoiler box. These warm-ups are good for me to work through my rookie GM mistakes.
Fatigue status removed, -1 HP, 1 HP remaining

Orion attack: 1d20 + 7 = 20 (rolled 13)
Robot 1 Def: 10 + 6 = 16

20 vs 16 = hit

Toughness DC is 15 + 7 = 22
FR1 Saving throw = 1d20 + 8 = 14 vs 22, failed by 5+ stunned/bruised/injured

FR1 , flatfooted, -2 defense, no actions for 1 round
Orion uppercuts the last remaining flying robot and knocks some wiring lose. The construct is still hovering, but it appears as if the robot is caught up in a reboot cycle as it doesn't attempt an immediate counter attack.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:45 am

You see, here's where I'd do great with a Power Attack. More reason to get a few combat feats!
While the robot is off-line for a moment, Orion moves in to grab it. Once he has a hold of it, he should be able to make short work of it.
Attack/Grab.

If successful, do strength damage.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:40 pm

Attack: 1d20 + 7 = 17
Def: 10 + 2 = 12 vs 17, hit

Orion Grapple: 1d20 + 7 + 7 + 4 = 25
Opposed Grapple: 1d20 + 6 = 12

Grappled, success

Damage: 7
Save DC is 15 + 7 = 22
Save roll is 1d20 + 8 - 1 (bruise) = 18, failed by 4

Robot is bruised/injured x2, takes -2 on toughness saves
Orion's reaches out and grabs the flying robot. His fingers squeeze into the sides of the robot as panels begin to crack and electrical smoke begins to stream out from the exposed areas. The robot's reboot cycle is now complete, but it cannot escape the cosmic hero's grip, so it fires another blast just inches away from Orion.
Attack: 1d20 + 6 = 23
Defense: 10 + 5 = 15 vs 23, hits

Damage is 8

Save DC is 15 + 8 = 23
Save roll is 1d20 + 9 = 26, no effect
The blast hits Orion, but the robot must not have finished loading all of it's weapon configuration modules since the blast seems to have no effect on its target.

With smoke now coming out of the flying robot, Orion has the flying robot in his grip, he sets his sights on finally disabling or destroying the construct...

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:59 pm

First things first, thinks Orion. Get that blaster out of the way. Then worry about destroying the thing. And so Orion maneuvers the robot to pin it against a wall before working to tear out it's innards.
Standard Action: Continue Grapple, and attempt to Pin the robot.

If that works, then in future rounds he'll just continue doing damage for as long as it can't break out.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Re: Orion - Room 3

Post by Shurijo » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:51 pm

grapple check: 1d20 + 18 = 21
opposed check: 1d20 + 6 = 14

successfully maintained grapple

Pinned robot

next round
grapple check: 1d20 + 18 = 19
opposed check: 1d20 + 6 = 10

damage = 7
toughness dc = 15 + 7 = 22
save: 1d20 + 8 - 2 (injured) = 21, bruised/injured again

next round
grapple check: 1d20 + 18 = 37
opposed check: 1d20 + 6 = 13

damage = 7
save: 1d20 + 8 - 3 (injured) = 18, bruised/injured again

next round
grapple check: 1d20 + 18 = 33
opposed check: 1d20 + 6 = 23

damage = 7
save: 1d20 + 8 - 4 (injured) = 17, failed >= 5, bruised/injured/stunned again

repeats..... just going to call a fiat here... he's not going to escape your pin and you'll just continue to beat him up :)

Orion holds down the flying robot and pummels him with his free fist. After a continuous old-fashion beat down, the cosmic hero finally stands when the last electrical pulse from the robot finally gives out. Standing over the destroyed machine and the disabled one off to the side, Orion is victorious against the challenges presented in this room.

The man doesn't see any further challenges in this room and thus he continues to the next room.

Stepping into the third room, he there are no other challenges awaiting him. Instead, the room is filled will television like monitors that shows his challenges and battles with the robots alongside hundreds of other beings performing similar feats.

"Congratulations, Orion. You have completed the challenges. These are but a few of the tests for the judges. If you are judged worthy, then we may bring you back to compete against others. It is a shame that you will not remember this." The strange voice ends it's communication just as the room begins to go dark and Orion's vision begins to become blurry.

Moments later, Orion awakes aboard the Guardians of the Galaxy capital cruiser within his personal room with no recollection of the previous events. Thinking he just awoke from a dream, he looks over and discovers a small miniature figurine that appears to be made of a soft metal substance that shares an uncanny resemblance to him wearing his scout uniform.
end of challenge, we came to a good spot to end it, I didn't want to start another combat challenge and there's not many skills left to test/try out that's worth it.

I think you had some ideas on character tweaks, if so, feel free to come up with some minor changes next week and let me know. If possible, can you email me the final character image again? I have the first one you sent, but I think you changed the skin tone in the second image.