[Prelude] Game Master's Challenge: Orion

A brand new era for humanity and mutantkind begins here! The rise of mutants coincided with global and secret agencies dedicated to detain all mutants and protect humanity. Most of earth's population including presidents, prime ministers, and royal families remain unaware of the mutant struggle and their powers. 'Nuff said.

GM: The Silver Shurijo
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

[Prelude] Game Master's Challenge: Orion

Post by Shurijo » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:26 pm

The Game Master's Challenge: Let the games begin!

You awake to find yourself lying on the floor of a cold, dark room. The small ten-by-ten room contains a single door. As you regain consciousness, you begin to hear a voice. You cannot tell if the voice is coming from a speaker or is somehow being directly placed into your head.

"Welcome to the Game Master's challenge, Orion." The distant voice speaks to you in Galactic Standard. The language used by the Hydran Republic and many galaxies across the universe.

The small room has a high ceiling and sheer walls covered in smooth metal panels. The floor is much the same, making the room almost featureless, save for the single door in the middle of one of the walls.

"To survive this challenge, you must pass each of the tests set forth in the next rooms. Each room will have a single door to enter and a single door to exit. The challenges will test your abilities, skills, and powers along with both your physical and mental capabilities. Furthermore, escape from this challenge is futile and will only prolong your tests."

Welcome Trogdor with your character Orion! This story is going to be light role played, feel free to add flavor text along the way or role play as much as you like in order to get into character or even discover your character's voice/personality within this story. Feel free to describe yourself, but no other players will be joining and I, as GM, don't really need it now. Just so you know, there's no way to escape the challenges other than completing them, but plenty of ways to win or lose. I expect there to be more than 5 but less than 20 rooms, depending on time and various character specific decisions and characteristics.

I'll try to do passive notice rolls for you, but in case I forget just let me know. That will be more of importance in the real story than this warm-up, but if I miss something just let me know.

Passive Rolls
Notice: 1d20 + 5 = 7. Rolled 2, failed

Your character will begin with 3 HP. Each successful test will grant you 1 additional HP. At the end of the challenge, your Hero Points will be reset to the standard HP per PL setting (+2 Luck). So if you have HP here, might as well as make use of them since they'll be reset at the end of the challenge.

Also, the rooms may or may not be similar to Hayabusa or vertias's threads. This short game is mostly for us to get used to some of the dice rolls and skill checks before launching into the game. It's also a test run for your character, if you feel like you need to tweak your character after this game, then we can tweak it before the real game begins.

This thread is for Trogdor only.
Last edited by Shurijo on Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: [Prelude] Game Master's Challenge: Orion

Post by Trogdor » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:22 pm

Orion lifts up to hover a foot or so off the floor. He looks around silently at his surroundings, then tries to mentally call any of his recent companions, or even the local Guardian he's assigned to. Finding no response, he looks over towards the door.

"Very well," he says out loud. "Name the first challenge!" This might be a test by the Guardians. Or it might be something else altogether. Regardless, he would try his best to get through, if only to find out what was going on.
I'm presuming that communications are right out. But Orion would have tried it first.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Room 1

Post by Shurijo » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:40 pm

If this was a real game, then I'd have to do some research to see about your communications, if we revisit the "Game Master" in-game later, then I'll have an answer for you. For this instance, let's just assume that your communications get scrambled and teleport doesn't work (or just teleports you back to where you were at).
Orion stands ready to face the first challenge. The former Hydran Republic scout pushes the door open to find a long corridor with another door on the opposite side of the room.

This hallway appears to have the same floor and walls as the first room making this room as featureless as the previous room. It's ceiling is not as high as the initial room and you estimate it to be about 15 feet high.

As soon as Orion flies forward, the door closes behind him and soundly locks. The door fits perfectly into the wall making it very difficult to locate, if Orion hadn't just walked through it. The closed door to the first room does not open when pushed or pulled.
Notice: Hidden roll
HP Remaining: 3

Since you have a power array, let me know which multiple-powers/linked-powers are enabled. Since if you enable something like Transform, your Str is toggled off, etc. I'm assuming that your fortified strength powers are on by default.

Also, please note that I'll be automatically rolling Notice rolls as passive checks. So if you want to search, just let me know and I'll roll search rolls.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Room 1

Post by Trogdor » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:47 pm

In a situation like this, I'm fine with GM fiat saying it doesn't work. I know how these sorts of things can bust plots. So I'm not likely to be all that pushy about them.

Also, you are entirely correct. The default for the array is Cosmic Strength.
"Is the challenge to find the door?" Orion asks, floating to the middle of the room. As he speaks, the agent of the Guardians turns slowly around, examining the room for any significant features. If he receives no response to his question, he moves over to the walls and starts examining the walls, floor, and ceiling for sign of an exit.
If no questions answered, Search. Take 10 to begin with, then take 20. That is, assuming nothing interferes. :-)

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:47 am

I might not have been clear in previous post. Room #1 (you started in 0) is a long hallway type room with a door on the opposite side. The door you entered is now closed.

Taking 10 - 10 + search 2 = 12
Can't take 20 due to consequences for failing check

Search roll: 1d20 + 2 = 19, failed
Orion spots the door on the opposite wall and begins to methodically move forward. As he moves forward, a trap door opens below him showing a deep drop of unknown depths. Luckily for Orion, he continues to hover inches above the open trap.

As Orion moves forward, hidden panels slide open along the walls, floors, and ceiling of the hallway. From the floor to ceiling and wall to wall, a series of various thickness walls appear to block the exit.
walls appear between you and door, you'll have to get through the walls

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:15 am

Ah, I see now. I misunderstood.
To a man more accustomed to operating in space, the loss of a floor means little. And even the walls give Orion little worry. And the cosmic energy coursing through his body would serve for the brute force it seemed was needed for the next part of the test. Hovering about fifteen feet from the first wall, the former Hydran scout braces himself, puts his hands together in front of him and shoots out a blast of cosmic energy to try and cut a hole in the wall before him.
Move cosmic array to Blast 7 and try and cut/melt a hole in the first wall. Use precise to try and do it with a little style. ;-)

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:45 am

Wall #1, Toughness 10
Orion's Blast damage bonus = +7

Wall's toughness save is DC 22 (15 + 7)
rolls 1d20 + 10 = 18

Wall is damaged, suffering a -1 to saves
The cosmic hero assess the situation and it doesn't appear as if he's in any immediate danger. Orion sizes up the wall in front of him and sends a blast of cosmic energy towards it. The stationary target is easy to hit, but his blast does not destroy the wall. Instead, Orion now finds the wall that's a little less sturdy than before, but still standing.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:03 am

Again and again, the agent of the Guardians fires a beam of cosmic energy at the wall, each time hoping to weaken it more, until he's fashioned a hole big enough to pass through.
Since it seems like the beam is able to damage the wall, he'll just keep zapping the wall until either he makes a hole or something else happens to keep him from continuing to fire.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Room 2

Post by Shurijo » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:15 am

Wall #1, Toughness 10
Orion's Blast damage bonus = +7

Blast #2
Wall's toughness save is DC 22 (15 + 7)
rolls 1d20 + 10 - 1 = 23

Blast #3
Wall's toughness save is DC 22 (15 + 7 )
rolls 1d20 + 10 -1 = 12

Wall is destroyed, < 10 of DC
Orion continues sending cosmic energy towards the wall. The second blast doesn't seem to damage the wall, so he reassesses the situation and is successful with destroying the wall with his third blast.

The cosmic agent of the Guardians flies forward as the other walls return to their positions within the walls, floor, and ceiling. Moving on, he pushes the door open to the next room and enters.

As he enters the second room, he spots two flying constructs in the distance. They hover in place for a moment until the hero's presence is detected by their sensors. In unison, the two flying constructs rotate towards Orion showing their blaster cannons and begin to approach him from opposite sides.
Initiative: Orion, Flying Robot 1, Flying Robot 2

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Room 2

Post by Trogdor » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:26 am

So it wasn't going to be just static tests, Orion muses as he sees the flying robots. "I don't know what the purposes of this is," he calls out and rushes toward one of the opponents. "But I'll play along for now." Then he charges himself up with cosmic energy and punches his fist straight at the robot's center of mass.
Switch array to Cosmically Fortified Strength, move forward, and punch!
Not that it's a huge deal, but one thing that might help the players figure out when you've posted to their thread is to add our names to the titles. Something like "Orion - Room 2" instead of just the room number.