[Prelude] Game Master's Challenge: Alton Zet

A brand new era for humanity and mutantkind begins here! The rise of mutants coincided with global and secret agencies dedicated to detain all mutants and protect humanity. Most of earth's population including presidents, prime ministers, and royal families remain unaware of the mutant struggle and their powers. 'Nuff said.

GM: The Silver Shurijo
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Re: Alton - Room 2

Post by Shurijo » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:37 am

Alton moves over to inspect the robot, but he doesn't have time to do any further research before another machine enters the room. This machine walks upright like an Atlantian or human. One of the robot's arm's appear to be a cannon while the other hand contains razor sharp claws. It's head swivels towards the Atlantian as it makes it's way into the room.
We'd go through all of the know/tech and reprogramming, if this was a RP game, that might actually be fun to turn the robots against their owners... :)

Since you didn't get a bunch of combat, I'll throw one more into the ring for you

Initiative: Alton, Robot

you're up first

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Alton - Room 2

Post by veritas » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:48 am

A curse escapes Alton's lips as the newest robot enters the room. Reactivating his force field, Alton flies up once more and fires a volley of energy pulses at the construct.
Activate force field as a free action, raise off the ground as a move action, and attack with the energy gauntlets again as a standard.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Re: Alton - Room 2 v. Robot 2

Post by Shurijo » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:24 pm

Force Field: Know check 1d20 + 16 = 24 vs 11 = pass, activated FF

If it wasn't for the flaw on your devices needing a roll, then we could say everything stays enabled between combat, but since everything needs a roll, we can just do that in initial round, just don't forget to remind me :)

Attack: 1d20 + 6 = 22
R Def: 10 + 3 = 13, hit

Damage is 7

Save DC is 15 + 7 = 22
Save roll 1d20 + 10 = 27 vs 22, saved, no effect
Alton activates his force field and returns high into the air near the room's ceiling. The scientist studies over the robot as it enters the room and then fires a volley of energy blasts at the robot, but the blasts seem to dissipate as they hit it's torso.

Having the Atlantian in it's sights, the robot raises it's right arm and points it's cannon towards the flying scientist. However, Atlon deftly dodges out of the way of the blast and quickly realizes that this opponent might be a bit tougher than the last.
attack: 1d20 + 4 = 12
Atlon Def: 10 + 7 = 17 vs 12, miss

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:34 am

I'm going to try something, just tell me if this doesn't work and I'll do something else.
Use Extra Effort on a power stunt (Alternate Power: Nullify Power (All powers with Electronics keyword with Duration Extra x2 for a duration of sustained, essentially an Electro-Magnetic Burst) via my Orichalcum Energy Gauntlets focused on the mega robot. This should give a rank of 7 if I've correctly done the math :)
Alton, vexed by the ineffectiveness of his first attack, attempts a new tactic and starts reprograming his gauntlets via their holo-graphic keyboard at lightning speed.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:26 pm

My understanding is that you can add a power feat to an existing power (or existing alternate power of an existing power), but you can't add a new power or alternate power such as nullify. I think that power would be well suited for your gauntlets, but my understanding is that you can only add a power feat to an existing power or alt power using extra effort. If you have another interpretion of that, please let me know via PM and we can figure out if I'm misreading the rules (I'm not claiming to be a rules expert), but just want to make sure we both understand it the same way.

Here's a link to a web description of the extra effort, just so you don't need to dig through your books:

http://www.mutantsandmasterminds.com/super-vision/000195.php

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:41 am

Alton to hit: 1d20 + 6 = 15
Defense: 10 + 3 = 13

hit

Opposed power check:
1d20 + (null) 7 = 21
1d20 + (blast) 8 = 19

Robot's blaster is nullifed with sustained duration

wow, nice work. I'm definetly going to have to put a lot of thought into the bad guys for all of the players :)
Alton's confusion doesn't last long. With a few adjustments and reprogramming of his gauntlets, the Atlantian scientist has modified his gauntlets to counter the robot's blaster. Hoping that his modifications are successful, he aims the gauntlet at the robot and fires away.

An electro-magnetic burst washes over the robot, but seems not to damage the robot. He looks up to Alton and aims his cannon, but it cannot fire. Alton has successfully nullified the blaster of the robot. The robot moves around unable to express it's frustration at the lack of it's inoperable cannon.
Robot only has that 1 ranged attack, so since it's nullifed it's just a sitting duck. With his power nullified as long as you sustain it, feel free to RP eventually disabling it (if you plan on doing it via ranged). If you fly too close, then it'll try to grapple you :)

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:02 am

With the robot's offensive capabilities disabled, Alton takes his time methodically dis-assembling it at range via well placed shots into vulnerable areas.

When at last the automaton is no more, Alton approaches it with a wary eye. "My modified electro-magnetic pulse should have disabled all of your electrical systems. Curious, how do you work? If only I had time to study you in greater detail."

After taking a moment to work out the soreness from his fight with the first construct and catch his breath from the extra effort expended to so quickly recalibrate his energy gauntlets, Alton begins searching for a way out.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Re: Alton - Room 3

Post by Shurijo » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:02 am

Well... I needed to do some more research on whether nullify could completely disable an NPC (even construct NPC), I was ok with it nullifying all of the powers, but I wanted to make sure whether or not it could take down the entirety of the NPC or PC, so call it a GM fiat for now, I'll look it up before we re-encounter anything like that in the games
Alton lowers himself to the floor and turns off his propulsion system. The scientist does a quick study on the robot before standing and concluding there isn't any further challenges in this room. The Atlantian walks towards the exit and pushes the door open.

Stepping into the third room, he there are no other challenges awaiting him. Instead, the room is filled will television like monitors that shows his challenges and battles with the robots alongside hundreds of other beings performing similar feats.

"Congratulations, Alton Zet. You have completed the challenges. These are but a few of the tests for the judges. If you are judged worthy, then we may bring you back to compete against others. It is a shame that you will not remember this." The strange voice ends it's communication just as the room begins to go dark and Alton's vision begins to become blurry.

Moments later, Alton awakes in the underwater Atlantian city within his laboratory. The scientist lifts his head from his work bench with no recollection of the previous events. Thinking he just awoke from a dream, he looks over and discovers a small miniature figurine that appears to be made of a soft metal substance that shares an uncanny resemblance to him and his inventions.
end of challenge, we came to a good spot to end it, I didn't want to start another combat challenge and there's not many skills left to test/try out that's worth it.

If you had some ideas on character tweaks, feel free to come up with some minor changes next week and let me know. Otherwise, we'll be able to start next week or the following week, in case there's character tweaks.

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Alton - Room 3

Post by veritas » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:22 am

Shurijo wrote:Well... I needed to do some more research on whether nullify could completely disable an NPC (even construct NPC), I was ok with it nullifying all of the powers, but I wanted to make sure whether or not it could take down the entirety of the NPC or PC, so call it a GM fiat for now, I'll look it up before we re-encounter anything like that in the games
I figured as much. It's kind of an awkward use of the Nullify power in this case. Using it as EMP makes sense with the gauntlets and all that, but would disable all electrical systems, which is quite a bit more than the power was intended to do (I'm guessing, at least) by the rules when taking into account that the enemy is an electrically powered automaton.

I agree with your handling of it. Alton would just be naturally curious. Looking forward to the start of the game :D