Chapter 1: Survival of the Fittest - Alton Zet

A brand new era for humanity and mutantkind begins here! The rise of mutants coincided with global and secret agencies dedicated to detain all mutants and protect humanity. Most of earth's population including presidents, prime ministers, and royal families remain unaware of the mutant struggle and their powers. 'Nuff said.

GM: The Silver Shurijo
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Chapter 1: Survival of the Fittest - Alton Zet

Post by Shurijo » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:44 am

Deep below Earth's ocean surface, begins Chapter One of the Mutants and Masterminds: Infinity Crisis campaigns. This thread is for the character Alton Zet only. Please do not post to this thread unless you are veritas or are instructed to do so later on.

Present day, Earth, Timeline 128* (As recorded by Time Keepers)

On the surface, the multi-national organization of independent states called the League for Humanity fights to prevent further human mutations. The League for Humanity strictly enforces imprisonment and sometimes killing of known mutants. Using ancestry and genetics database created over the last decades, the League has been somewhat successful at systematically eliminating mutants, but they have failed to prevent the spread of the mutant disease or discover the cause of the mutations.

Meanwhile, many mutants continue to fight the League leaving utter destruction in the wake of their battles. Even more mutants flee hostile nations and seek shelter in a few remote countries that accept mutantkind.

Two years ago, a handful of mutants found refuge within the underwater city of New Atlantis. The matter to provide shelter to the mutants came at a high political cost to the King. Acting without approval of the civic council, King Opar Bal offered shelter to a handful of mutants who were nearly dying after a battle against the League. This was seen as act of war by the League for Humanity and has put all Atlantians in the League's crosshairs alongside the mutants.

Not all Atlantians agreed with their King and, in fact, most opposed taking either side in the surface war and oppose showing any signs of support to either side. Others believe that it is their responsibility to put an end to the human wars. While the majority of the Atlantians seek to continue their many generations of isolationism away from the surface dwellers.

In comparison to Atlantian technology, the humans remained quite underdeveloped until last year when they were able to achieve remarkable success with unmanned aerial drones known as SENTRYs. These drones were pioneered and put to use by the League for Humanity in tracking and killing mutants. To the scientific minded Atlantians and super-genius mutants, the artificial intelligence used in the SENTRY Mark 4 models appear to be exponentially greater than humanity's expected gains in technological capabilities. In fact, the Mark 4 models were a complete redesign with improved weapons and shielding technology. Although, the humans are still somewhat inadequate compared to Atlantis, it is the human ability to adapt and overcome that has caused concerns among many Atlantians.

Atlantis has always been much more technologically advanced than the humans. In fact, the Atlantians were space faring before many of the human civilizations had discovered how to use metal. After a bitter civil war, the Atlantian capital city was destroyed. Years later, they decided to remove all traces of their civilization from the surface and gather their people into a single city in the south Pacific. Only stories and rumors persisted for over three thousand years before they returned to the surface during World War II.

During the human's World War II, King Bal's father, the former King, believed Atlantians could use their advanced technology and science to prevent the humans from continuing their world wars. Many Atlantians continue to believe that King Bal's father had a vision of the destruction of New Atlantis showing humans joining a faction of Atlantians in a new Atlantian civil war. The former king hoped that by preempting the vision by establishing contact with humans, he could befriend the humans before the Atlantis suffered through another devastating civil war. His contacts with the humans were against the advice of the civic council. Although, the second great Atlantian civil war has yet to occur, many believe it was an omen to stay away from the humans while others believe they must continue with King Bal's father's wishes of establishing a long lasting peace arrangement with the humans in order to co-exist.

In the civic coliseum of the New Atlantis, the civic council hears testimony from a high ranking military scientist named Kalta Jel along with other political and military strategists. In a civic hearing many years ago, much like this, Alton Zet testified that Atlantians should have increased surface involvement regarding the human's wars against each other and the mutant humans. He argued that the fallout between the human's wars would eventually destroy the natural ecosystem of the planet. Furthermore, he stated that even if the ultimate destruction of the ecosystem could be offset for a few generations, the fallout from the weapons of mass destructions and chemicals produced by the military industries would wreck havoc on the ocean's ecosystem to the detriment of Atlantian society. Alton Zet's argument eventually led the civic council to give way and allow for the creation of an Atlantian military and provide increased resources for research and development of defensive measures to protect their homeland and ocean resources.

Alton Zet's testimony and determination caught the attention of the Atlantian King Opar Bal. King Bal also agreed that it was the duty of Atlantis to protect the earth even if it meant returning to the surface and dealing with the less technologically advanced humans. However, the royal family's involvement in the kingdom has been reduced to more of a figure head role since the fall of Atlantis, many generations ago.

Even with the support of the King, Alton Zet has not received any more support from the civic council compared to any other scientist with similar pursuits. The civic council's primary concern has always been to develop a cure for the Atlantian birth disease that has decimated the population for thousands of years. At one point in history, there were one hundred cities the size of New Atlantis and now there is only one city. Many Atlantians feel that their race is slowly dying off and even with all of the technology and scientific research; they still cannot stop the disease. Dealing with surface dwellers has always been seen as a low priority for the proud people as they continue to come closer to extinction.

Kalta Jel testifies stating, "We sit on the sidelines as humans destroy our planet. We cannot stand idly by when our lives are as much at risk as the humans. We must take a side in their war, so that we can put an end to it. Once their war is finished, we can reclaim the surface as our domain and the humans will serve us as they did our ancestors. Earth has only suffered since we've retreated into isolation. It is our duty to protect the earth and it is our duty to put an end to the surface wars."

"If we ally ourselves with the humans, we can provide them with weapons that could counter the powers of their genetic mutants. Once the mutants have been eradicated, then we can easily assume control of the surface and put a stop to the humans' destructive ways."

The supporters of the King's mutant refugee policy shakes their head at Kalta's statement and begin to converse between themselves. Many of the supporters do not want to get involved in the war, while many others see that the League for Humanity has already declared war against Atlantis so if either side is taken, they believe they should side with the mutants.

For another hour or more, the civic council hears requests concerning research budgets and other matters of politics. Then at the end of the civic council meeting, all within the coliseum rise for the traditional reading of the state of the people. This reading has gone on for countless generations since the civic council prioritized research to the birth disease as a reminder of their greatest struggle. This reading reflects the current population of Atlantis. After the reading, there is a moment of silence as some reflect on the population count.

Alton Zet sits alongside the King in a secluded section of the coliseum along with other various scientific, political, and military advisors. After the moment of silence ends and the civic council's hearing is officially adjourned, the group stands and begins to converse within themselves about the proceedings and general topics. King Bal seems to be contemplating the testimonies and new information concerning the humans when he turns to Alton and asks, "What is your opinion of Kalta's testimony?"

Welcome back, veritas. This begins the official games of the Infinity Crisis campaign.
Last edited by Shurijo on Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Chapter 1: Survival of the Fittest - Alton Zet

Post by veritas » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:21 am

Alton Zet slowly looks away, shaking his head. "I think Kalta is a fool, my king."

He turns to look out over the coliseum, what is now the center of his civilization. Speaking slowly and deliberately, almost as if the words cause him pain, Alton continues, "Kalta speaks with grandeur that has long been lost to our people; as if our civilization were as great as it was before the advent of the birth disease. He underestimates the ingenuity of the humans and mutants as well, speaking as if we could simply retake the surface at a whim once the mutants were gone with our proposed allies welcoming our benevolent rule."

Alton scoffs as he turns back to the King. "Add that to the moral repugnance of supporting those who would commit genocide against their own kind and I find it a wonder that he gained an audience to begin with, your Majesty."

Alton sighs, trying to compose himself. "Forgive my outburst. On a logical level, his proposal grants a significant chance of immediate survival, but I find its long term viability to be questionable, at best. I also find the idea of turning against the mutant humans to be reprehensible, though I suppose that a discussion of survival has little place for moral leanings." Alton frowns as he says this, like the words leave a bad taste in his mouth.

"The fact that I must speak as such and seriously consider so absurd an idea makes me wonder just how much more 'advanced' we are compared to the humans. I suppose if there is anything Kalta and I could agree on it is that something must be done to curtail the all out war on the surface before it is too late."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:44 am

King Opar Bel is just a few years older than Alton Zet. He inherited the crown from his father who passed away a few years ago. In the last few months, the two have discussed many things, but mostly affairs concerning the surface dwellers.

Listening to the two speak, another adviser interjects himself into the conversation, "My king, we should return the mutants back to their world. The humans have already declared war against us. By holding them, we guarantee that we will be attacked."

As soon as the first adviser speaks, others begin to crowd around the King supplying their own thoughts to the matter. Looking over the speakers who are now talking over each other and very few can even be understood, the king looks to Alton and nods saying, "Thank you for your thoughts. I welcome your ideas. It is not often that I can hear the voice of a citizen."

As the group of advisers continue to speak, the king's words are drown out and Alton soon finds himself pushed away from the king. Alton Zet stands alone within the royal balcony of the coliseum as the advisers huddle around the king.

The day is still young and Alton has welcomed the break from his research and development tasks in his lab. Even if the civic council and the testimonies created stress for the scientist, sometimes it's best to get away from his lab so that his mind can get refreshed. Alton and his young assist are scheduled to provide a demonstration of his newest developed weapons and defense systems to the Atlantian defense representative later today, but first he has to finish work on the devices and the required supporting documentation and government forms.
We'll pretend that your character's devices are prototypes in that you're getting ready to demo to the others. That way your devices are somewhat unique among the Atlantians and then you'll have more intimate knowledge of how they work, since you built them - along with your assistant. I didn't include the assistant's name or information in this post, if/when you return to your lab, feel free to make that up and I'll add it as a non-stat NPC. Otherwise, I can make it up.

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:20 am

Alton finds himself somewhat amused by the mob of advisors aroud the king, despite the gravity of the cause for such. He smiles wanly to himself and begins the trip back to his laboratory.

The swim back to his lab serves to focus his mind on the tasks that he can actually do something about. Kareb Lai, the young student he's taken to tutoring has made a wonderful assistant thus far, but the girl is out of her element when it comes to social situations.

Her lack of diplomacy had caused some minor embarrassment the last time she had been present for a demonstration. Alton knows that as much time will likely be taken admonishing Kareb on the finer points of tact as it will on the refinements of his craft this evening, but such is worthwhile to acquire the talents of a gifted assistant.
That's awesome, I kind of like my stuff being a bit more advanced than the standard soldier :). I imagine Kareb Lai as kind of a grease monkey. A mix between early Kitty Pryde from the X-men and Audrey Ramirez from Atlantis: The Lost Empire (she was the ship mechanic), but that's just an idea.
Alton will go to pick up any additional supplies or paperwork that he needs for the demonstration, but otherwise will go back to the lab to finish working on the devices.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:04 pm

Alton passes by the research directorate's office to pick up the required paperwork. The scientist then continues on to his research lab. The demonstration for the Atlantian defense forces is scheduled for later this day on a nearby island commonly used by Atlantian scientists testing systems on the surface. The purpose for the land test is so that Alton can show his newly created propulsion system that provides the ability to fly.

Most Atlantians might consider flying through the air a nice feat, but somewhat useless to their underwater society. However, the Atlantian defense representatives are interested in seeing how well it works. One of the general's view is that eventually the Atlantians will return to the surface and they'll need systems that enable them to continue their technological dominance over the humans.

Entering his research lab, he finds Kareb inspecting the final system parameters of Alton's energy gauntlets. As he reviews the energy reading logs, she enters the data into the documentation. When the prototypes are complete, the specifications will be submitted for peer review and entry into the Atlantian archives.

Kareb doesn't hear Alton enter the lab, instead, she's concentrating on the energy readings.
An idea for the propulsion system, you could add a point or two into some form of underwater propulsion :)

I'll post a bit more later this weekend or Monday, feel free to NPC banter. We'll get the '˜demo' going next week.

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:24 pm

I may be mistaken (I'm away from my books so I can't check) but I believe that as of the Ultimate Powers book the Flight power functions as the Swimming power underwater already. If that's not the case, then I shall definately add it as an AP at the earliest opportunity :)
Alton silently waits until Kareb finishes her calculations before speaking, "Is all as it should be?"

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:32 pm

The young research assistant replies, a bit startled by Alton's entry. "Yes, Mister Zet. The readings appear to be within the normal variations. I was worried that there might be another energy fluctuation, like last week. I believe the new calibrations have fixed that anomaly."

"I'm finishing up with recording the power logs within the documentation. Once the demonstration is successful, we can finish up the papers and submit them to the archives. It's so exciting to be part of a project that might actually have an impact on our lives and may one day protect us from whatever happens up there."
just minor banter, I'll upload the 'demo' post on Monday

I'll look into UP book. I thought it should work, but I didn't remember off hand if it did function underwater.

We can assume there's other underwater propulsion systems in Atlantis and various aerial flying systems for machines, but a person flying is something new

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:03 am

"It is, isn't it? This is what applied science is all about, making life better for everyone." Alton beams at his young pupil, his previous ill mood already forgotten as his mind prepares itself for the coming demonstration.

He begins a few tests of his own, not bothering to repeat those that Kareb has finished. He knows he doesn't have to.

"You've done very well on this project, my young friend. You easily have the talent to carry on in the field after your apprenticeship is complete. Assuming you can keep a reign on your tongue in front of the council members long enough to get funding, that is." Alton grins at her mischievously as he fiddles with a few random bits of equipment.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:24 am

After several hours of tedious data entry of log readings and data variations Alton Zet and his assistant, Kareb Lai, close the terminals just in time for their guests. Entering the lab are five Atlantians, three of which are common Atlantians Defense Force guardsmen carrying standard issue weapons and armors.

The two officers are prominent individuals within the defense force, both known to Alton Zet and his assistant. The younger officer, Captain Dahz Nahe, is the supervising technology officer for the defense force responsible for acquisition, research funding, and review. It was Dahz Nahe's recommendation that Alton Zet receive the funding, resources, laboratory, and lab assistant to aid in his research. The older officer is General Gaut Rap, one of the generals who sat alongside Alton Zet and the King at the civic council hearing earlier in the day. General Rap is one of the strategic commanders of the defense force.

After brief introductions and greetings, the group of seven collects the experimental technology devices and proceeds to the awaiting transport. The underwater transport vehicle quickly shuttles the group an uninhabited surface island used for testing of Atlantian surface technologies or anything that harm marine life underwater such as unexpected exploding experimental technologies.

The five military members stand in a clearing near the beach of the small island waiting for Kareb and Alton to finish prepping the technologies.

'œMister Zet, everything looks secure.' Kareb informs her mentor as he looks to make sure the devices are securely connected to Alton. 'œAll systems are ready,' she ends as she begins to make her way back to stand near the military members. This time, unlike last, Kareb will be recording the demonstration which will require less social situations with the group and hopefully keep her out of trouble.

Everyone turns to watch Alton as the captain and general end their conversations and the three guardsmen maintain positions around the clearing in an arc formation. By surface time, it appears to be early morning around 10-11 am. The island weather is tropical and warm with partial clouds, but nothing that should affect the demonstration.
A bit of a fast forward, but feel free to add in dialog in the lab before your departure. Been crushed with time this morning at work, so I wasn't able to get a full post up today. I wanted to go a bit further, but we'll just do that tomorrow.

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:18 am

Alton waits for his assistant to get settled with the recording equipment. When she gives the thumbs up, Alton begins the demonstration.

"Greetings gentlemen, today I shall be demonstrating the first three pieces in what I hope will become a much more evolved defense system in time. I call it the Sentinel System."

Alton smiles and showcases the high tech gauntlets he is wearing, "The first piece is the most important. The gauntlets not only provide the offense for the system, emitting high grade pulses of energy in rapid sucession..." he fires a quick volley of energy blasts at a bare spot of ground in the opposite direction of the gathered military personel. "They also serve as the primary control unit for the rest of the system and house several detection devices, tools for maintenance, etc. Of interest is that the gauntlets are themselves the weapon, as it is nearly impossible to lose them in the middle of a battle."

He then brings up the holographic computer screen and activates the Force Field Generator and Propulsion Systems. "The next two items are presented together for reasons that will soon become obvious. The chest plate I am currently wearing houses a rather sophisticated portable force field generator. The field is not so powerful as those we use for the protection of the city or heavy military vehicles, but it is sufficient in providing extra protection against standard human weaponry. It has the added benefit of protecting the individual from the air or water currents and floating particles that otherwise tend to prove quite problematic when moving at high velocities, such as is possible with the propulsion system."

Alton rises several feet off the ground to emphasize his point. "The maximum speed achievable in the air is roughly 1000 miles per hour, however, this is not recommended for long periods of time as it will cause undue stress on the system. Moving at 500 miles per hour is about as fast as can be maintained without causing hardware problems. In the water, the maximum speed is roughly 200 miles per hour, with the same hardware issues and recommendations."
Alton will answer any questions or demonstrate any functions of the inventions asked of him after his explanation of the system's workings is complete.
I know what you mean. I have time to kill this week, as I have the week off, but normally posting within work schedules sucks :(