Chapter 1: Survival of the Fittest - Alton Zet

A brand new era for humanity and mutantkind begins here! The rise of mutants coincided with global and secret agencies dedicated to detain all mutants and protect humanity. Most of earth's population including presidents, prime ministers, and royal families remain unaware of the mutant struggle and their powers. 'Nuff said.

GM: The Silver Shurijo
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Re: Back to work, Atlantis post-combat investigation

Post by Shurijo » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:35 pm

General Rap nods as Alton speaks. Kareb remains silent allowing Alton to do the talking.

"Yes, Yes. We have Kalta Jel and his associates under surveillance now." The general adds when the topic of Kalta is spoken about.

After Alton's assessment, the General looks over to Captain Nehe and then back to the scientists. "Well, that's all for the meeting. I wanted to inform you about your shadows, in case you get a feeling you're being followed, and give you an update. I also wanted to make sure you understand about our secrecy and your tasks regarding finding any technical evidence that can assist our investigation."

The two military officers stand and then ask, "Any questions before we close the meeting?"
if no questions, then you can head back to the lab or wherever

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:23 am

"No questions from me, sir. Do you have anything you'd like to ask or add, Kareb?"

Alton bids the military personel farewell and prepares to head to the new lab following Kareb's comments or lack thereof.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:03 am

The two proceed to the lab, but not before they encounter a group of fellow military scientists traveling around the military sector. The group eyes the two new scientists but pass by without speaking to them.

Once back in the lab, Alton and Kareb begin their research into the drone's construction and technology applications and design. In addition, they try to allocate some of their time to using the armor technology to enhance Alton's own devices and build a personal suit that Alton can wear and attack his devices to.

Alton and Kareb test various energy, projectile, and physical attacks against the drones and after several hours, they can conclude that only Orichalcum energy blasts can bypass the shielding of the drones. This energy type is the most commonly energy source found within Atlantian weapons. It's a rare energy source that only Atlantians have been known to harvest and use.

Kareb looks up from her display, "I've been searching the archives. There's no recorded use of humans knowing how to work with Orichalcum."

Turning around to face Alton, she continues, "I think we're dealing with Atlantian technology and Atlantian scientists. I don't think a single person could build all of this in secret. I wonder how long they've been working on these drones. Some of the technology is pretty advanced. It would take someone who's really knowledgeable about weapon systems, artificial intelligence, and Orichalcum to build something like this."

As she talks, she discovers something she's just said, "If we look into the artificial intelligence algorithms, we might be able to trace them back to either a research paper or documentation within the archives." These documents within the archives would be very similar to the same technical specifications, data logs, and other documentation that Alton and Kareb were finishing up before the demonstration and it's likely they might find some clues by checking the archives against any code or wiring schematics for similarities.

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:25 am

Alton smiles enthusiastically at Kareb, clapping his hands together once in excitement, "That is a brilliant idea! Let us get to work at once!"

After a few hours of work, Alton's initial excitement has receded a bit and he begins to think about the implications of Kareb's statement: multiple Atlantians contributing to the League of Humanity's war effort. The brief paranoia that seizes Alton reminds him of a video briefing he'd seen of what is called the McCarthy era in the Human country of the United States. Alton makes a mental effort to not succumb to such feelings, but he remains very quiet for the rest of the evening just the same.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:42 am

Alton and Kareb continue their investigation. Finding trace signatures in coding algorithms and comparing it to vast amounts of research documents is time consuming at the least. They work on late into the night with minor progress. Some of the artificial intelligence algorithms appear to be human based and others taken from basic Atlantian technology classes. The mix of human looking code alongside Atlantian code might mean the technology was leaked to the humans or maybe an Atlantian is working alongside humans. There's no conclusive evidence either way, as of yet.

As the two leave the laboratory for the night and return to their quarters. Someone approaches Alton Zet near his home. As he approaches, Alton recognizes the person as one of the civic council members, Yula Polb. Yula calls over to Alton and then approaches him.

"Mr. Zet, I hear you're working on a secret project for General Rap. In order to protect the citizens of Atlantis, the civic council must provide oversight on these secret projects. We don't want another civil war, now do we? I'll need you to debrief me on your project's status and any progress you've made." Yula informs Alton.

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:18 am

Alton gives a disarming smile as he responds.

"Councilman Polb, you know as well as I do that these things must be pursued through the proper channels. We certainly do not wish another civil war, which is why all manner of decorum must be followed. I would suggest that you put forth a formal query to General Rap as to any projects which may or may not be secret that I may or may not be involved in. Have a good night, Councilman."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:21 am

Polb doesn't give up that easily, "Alton Zet, don't you know the military is keeping lots of secrets from us. The people have a right to know what they are doing. The people need to know the truth for the safety of all."

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:32 am

Alton appears to be somewhat exasperated with Polb.

"Then I suggest you rally the council for support in your quest for the truth and acquire the appropriate documentation to present to someone with the authority to tell you what you wish to know. As the council has reminded me time and time again, I am but a simple inventor. I am unqualified to make assessments as to what is in the best interests of Atlantis or its citizenship. If you proceed through the proper channels, then I shall comply with the law with the utmost enthusiam as to my involvement with your alleged secret projects. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm quite tired."

Alton speaks this last bit somewhat louder, allowing the faintest amount of the agitation he's feeling to enter his voice.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:42 am

Polb concedes seeing that he's not going to get anywhere with Alton. He's the type of Atlantian to get the last word in coupled with sense of privileged politician. Before heading out, he declares "Very well, you're doing Atlantis a great disservice by keeping the people ill-informed of our dangers."

Councilman Polb turns and heads back away from Alton and out of sight. Leaving Alton to continue heading to his quarters.

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:54 am

Alton proceeds to his quarters with a sense of satisfaction. He knows that what happened will likely have consequences that are disfavorable, but it is truly a rare occasion to be able to rile a council member so.

After returning to his quarters, Alton sends a a brief message to Captain Nehe stating that Yula Polb was inquiring as to the status of some sort of secret project. Alton makes no mention of the details of the project, any other person's involvement, or even any confirmation of his own involvement. While Alton still feels a little silly about the paranoia experienced earlier, he decides that it is ultimately better to be safe than sorry. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you. ;)