Chapter 1: A Matter of Time - Matthew Beckett

A brand new era for humanity and mutantkind begins here! The rise of mutants coincided with global and secret agencies dedicated to detain all mutants and protect humanity. Most of earth's population including presidents, prime ministers, and royal families remain unaware of the mutant struggle and their powers. 'Nuff said.

GM: The Silver Shurijo
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Chapter 1: A Matter of Time - Matthew Beckett

Post by Shurijo » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:10 am

Here begins Chapter One of the Mutants and Masterminds: Infinity Crisis campaigns. This thread is for the character Matthew Beckett only. Please do not post to this thread unless you are Hayabusa or are instructed to do so later on.

Present day, Earth, outside village of Stefan Voda in Moldova (near Black Sea), Timeline 314 * (As recorded by Time Keepers)

A cool draft rolls over the sleeping man early in the morning as the sun rises. It's near freezing outside and the villagers fear an early frost may damage their crops. Vladimir Stravinsky isn't concerned about the crops, because he has bigger problems. But for today, he's called himself a farmer's hand in order to find shelter for the night and a place to rest.

Vladimir has been permitted to stay in the guest house in exchange for labor in the fields. This is his first night spent in the guest house and he's quite fortunate since this morning is Sunday and it's his only day off from work for the week. The farm is located just minutes outside of Stefan Voda in Moldova, a landlocked country in Eastern Europe located between Romania and Ukraine. Even though the country is landlocked, it is very close to the Black Sea, but more importantly it provides cover for him as he has other business in the nearby region.

It's been two years since he's talked to his wife and daughter. The man is on the run from two of the United States government's most elite agencies - the CIA and NSA. By order of the CIA, he's been declared a rogue CIA operative who turned on an undercover NSA agent.

Vladimir's given name is Matthew Beckett and he has been on the run every since after a complex situation in the Black Sea involving a notorious Turkish international weapons dealer. Somehow his role as an undercover CIA agent, the weapons dealer, and a known NSA agent were all together aboard an oil platform in the Black Sea. During the mix up in international investigations, he had to maintain his cover by outing the NSA agent who wasn't suppose to be there and would most likely mess up his own mission.

The deal went bad. The Turkish weapons dealer imprisoned the NSA agent and even shot at Beckett, but he was able to jump off the platform and swim to safety. Soon thereafter, he was deemed a rogue agent and status updated to 'œKill On Sight.' Beckett used his skills to elude capture and death. That momentous incident occurred only a few hundred miles from here within the Black Sea.

Since he's been on the run, he's discovered a global paramilitary organization that has begun to pursue him. He hasn't had time to stop and ask why they are tracking or shooting at him, but he believes that the CIA might have outsourced some work to a paramilitary contractor and that's not so unbelievable. All that he knows is that both the CIA and NSA have 'œkill on sight' orders and there's a new non-US organization also chasing him.

Matthew isn't in Moldova to visit the vineyards or for wine tasting, he's here because his best source of information in eastern Europe, Tishka Gromov lives less than an hour away. Three days ago, Matthew received an encrypted message from Tishka saying that he's found some new information regarding the paramilitary organization and other requests.

In less than two hours, Matthew is scheduled to met the reclusive information dealer for a data exchange at the port of Palanca, approximately 45 kilometers southeast. His contact, an old Russian, former KGB agent who specializes in information gathering is a bit off in the head, but one of the best at what he does. And more importantly, he knows how to keep his mouth shut. This trusted information dealer has sold information to Matthew several times in the past and even owes Matthew a favor that he's hoping to collect today. Tishka believes the cold war is still going on and that the American capitalistic pigs will still fall at the mighty hand of Mother Russia and that Matthew's alias of Vladimir Stravinsky is secretly working for the KGB.

It's the first night that Matthew's been able to sleep in a bed in weeks, even if the bed smells like a wet dog. The old guest house had drafts of cool night air blowing in under the door and through the unsealed windows most of the night, but the breeze that he's currently feeling feels more than a draft. It feels like someone's opened the door.

It's 6am and Nika Ignatev, the farmer's daughter, stands leaning against the door frame with the door wide open. With a lit cigarette in her hand, she eyes Matthew as the family's dog, called Rada, quickly moves into the room and jumps on the bed. Mostly likely, Rada believes the man to be sleeping in his bed.

In her best sultry voice, she attempts to seduce the young man 'œ<Russian>Vlad, father is off to the village to collect supplies. How about we go play in the fields for a while?'
Welcome back Hayabusa. This begins the official games of the Infinity Crisis campaign.

We may not always use 'œreal world' locations, but in this case, feel free to use Google maps so that you can get an understanding of your location.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 41577&z=11

Your car is hidden behind one of the barns/farm houses, using some makeshift camouflage netting. It's parked a little bit down the road, you wouldn't want to been seen with it because it might blow your cover, but I didn't want to neglect you of the car since it's your character's power points.

The meeting place is about 45 km away - let's say 60 minutes drive, car is 5-15 minutes away. Tishka expects you there in 2 hours. You haven't heard from him since the initial encrypted note.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Re: Chapter 1: A Matter of Time - Matthew Beckett

Post by Hayabusa » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:54 pm

Remembering how nice it was to sleep in a real bed, although the smell was the worst thing about it, Beckett quickly stands up. Maybe he doesn't even have to return to this place again and the thought of a little progress makes it easy for him to smile at thw woman. Over the time he got used to the simple and scratchy clothes and before he dresses in the dirty green and brown clothes he scratches his beard. He actually prefers nothing more than a short stubble but his current appearance allows him to be almost unrecognizable and blend in almost everywhere in Eastern Europe. Who would suspect an American agent with a full beard in the modern day? Everyone would suspect a clean-shaven, good-looking, well-dressed man with a slick attitude and not someone in dirty clothes who looks like a farm hand. But the main reason he leaves the bed is the stinking dog that seems to be too glad to be back on his sleeping place.

<So you're father is away for a few hours,> Beckett replies in a northern Russian dialect, spoken along the Volga River, while he dons his pants and buckles the plain belt. <That would give us quite some time for anything we can imagine. And I bet the work's not going to start until he's back. Give me moment to get my shirt and jacket, because it's quite cold outside and we need some time until we get warmer...>

Beckett doesn't plan to do anything with Nika, but he has to waste about an hour until he can get going. He doesn't want to be to early and stand around, giving anyone ample time to spot him. His goal is to arrive just in time. <We shouldn't leave through the main entrance of the house, because your mother could still see us,> he says, grabbing the heavy wool jacket which also holds a Czech, heavy-calibered handgun. <We do not want her to spoil our intention.>
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:05 am

Nika smiles as Beckett talks to her in Russia. He leads her own and she begins to slightly giggle at the thought. "<Russian/Slightly Romainian>These boys are all labagiu. It is nice to have such a strong man living here." As she insults the local men, she stares at Beckett getting dressed.

Taking another puff from the cigarette, she nods and replies, "<Russian>Da, mother is cleaning and hanging laundry." The young woman turns to look back towards the main house. She finds her mother hanging clothes on a clothesline, but seemingly unaware of her location or intentions.

She closes the guest house door and walks through the single room where Beckett's bed and kitchen is located to another door on the back wall. Pushing it open shows a farmer's plow and other assorted farming equipment with a double door on the opposite side of that room. The guest house appears to have been divided in half so that their equipment can be placed in the other side.

"<Russian>Here," she says as she points towards the doors. "We can leave out the back."
forgive my russian or any other non-English languages, I only know a few russia words from reading comics :) so I'll use the internet to find some other colorful words

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:23 am

<It looks a little flat out there, doesn't it?> Beckett replies as he puts on the jacket. He completely ignores her flattery. He's quite sure that there are far stronger boys in the area than himself, although the certainly don't have the same level of education and experience. <You don't look that bad either,> he just says before taking a glimpse outside the back door himself. Beckett pats down his jacket. <Damn, I think I've lost my cigarettes. Would you mind if I bum a smoke?>

After another check he smiles at the smoking woman and nods towards the door. <It looks safe. Let's go.>
Well, my Russian is probably even worse. Although I could ask my brother... When I see him in a week or so, because he's learning the language.
Anyway, I couldn't find a good English-Russian site either. Which do you use?

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:42 am

Nika offers Matthew her cigarette, but he considers that it might not be a wise decision based on that awful cold sore he's just noticed on her mouth. At least, he's hoping it's a cold sore.

The farmer's daughter moves to the double doors and pushes the set of doors open like she has so many times before. From the doors, the pair can see a light cover of frost covering the fields. The ground is mostly flat with a several rows that need plowing using the rusted gasoline powered plow placed a few feet away from Matthew in the equipment room of the guest house.

The two walk out into the fields with their cigarettes lit. The young Nika attempts to guide Matthew towards a downward slope in the terrain where a small creek flows at the edge of the farmland.

As the two walk, Matthew's keen sense of awareness honed by years of experience alerts him to a small red dot wavering back and forth on his chest. He immediately recognizes the small dot as a laser sight and guesses that it's probably from a sniper rifle.
I only know a couple words like Da and Net from my favorite X-Man Colossus :)

I'm only going to use it to flavor posts, don't expect more than Da (yes) or Net (no)

Feel free to ask her for your own cigarette and RP it out, if you'd rather not accept hers

Notice: roll hidden
Thinking you might want to think about taking danger sense :)

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:08 pm

Instead of wondering why anyone might know he's here and how they found them, Beckett gets behind a tree as soon as he recognizes the small, red dot.

<Nika, get down!> He shouts to the young woman, pointing crudely in the diretcion of the shooter. Since he doesn't know where the supposed sniper might be he can only say that he's probably in front of them, since it would be quite difficult to project a dot on his chest from the side. But Beckett is not stupid and he doesn't want to be pinned down and allow the shooter to get the drop on him. And it's also quite certain that there's not a single individual, because military snipers don't work alone. Or at least they should not work alone. He doesn't want to wait for a shot, but he has to so that Nika knows that there's someone or he would look quite stupid.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:40 pm

"<Russian>Oooh, big strong man. You want to party here?" Nika responds as she takes a knee in the frosted crops.

With a quick assessment of the terrain, Matthew realizes that the slope provided by the creek bed offers somewhat protection against the assumed angle of the sniper rifle. The creek bed lies about 20 meters away from the couple.

Further ahead as the creek runs through fields, lies a road and a small stone bridge that provides access over the creek. The bridge is about 125 meters downstream as the creek flows. The quick thinking agent notices that there's a parked truck on the road near the bridge with two men standing on the bridge (neither of which appear to be the source of the sniper rifle laser).

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:22 am

<Net. We don't want to ruin your knees just yet. I had something different in mind when I said down,> Beckett says leaning against the tree. He's wondering why the sniper didn't take a shot at him when he had the chance and he's determined to question the shooter.

I almost forgot, Trog PMed me and told me that google translate might be quite useful. It looks more than good enough for our purpose.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:34 am

Nika nods saying, "<Russian>You smart and strong. Let's hurry." She takes off with a light jog looking back over her shoulder at Vladimir.

After running a bit, she notices the two men and truck on the bridge and stops. "<Russian>We might have to wait until they leave. Unless you like watchers."

From the distance closer to the bridge Matthew begins to make out the mens' silhouettes. At least one is carrying a fully automatic submachine gun, but the other appears to be without a weapon. As Matthew watches, the weaponless man walks over to the edge of the bridge and waves to him.

Matthew hasn't seen that man in almost two years now, but Matthew usually doesn't forget a face of someone who shot at him. It's Ruzgar Polat, the Turkish international weapons dealer. The rogue agent figures that having not shot him in the open field must mean Ruzgar wants to talk.
Which alias did you use when dealing with the arms dealer?

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:37 am

The French one. Jean-Pierre Martin.
<Russian>Ah, I don't think this is going to be a problem. I'll make sure that they don't bother us," Beckett replies smiling. He doesn't wave back at the man. <Russian>Why don't you make yourself comfortable and I'll be with you in half a minute?"

When Nika walks below the bridge, Beckett slowly walks up the slope to talk to the man. Questions pop up in his head and he tries to figure out how they could have found them. Did Ignatev know about him? It is a little suspious that he finds shelter for just one day and then these scum meets him the next morning. For an instant Beckett almost reaches inside the thick jacket and through the cut in the interior to recover the pistol, but out here in the open, more than a dozen meters away he's an easy target, although he would have preferred to shoot him know and ask him later.

On the street he walks onto the bridge, confronting Polat, so that Beckett and the Turk are both in the goon's field of fire. Polat may be enough to give him a few seconds to take down the man with the machine gun. "What the hell are you doing here?" Beckett asks in English with a heavy French accent. He glances at the submachine gun and other hints that would identify anyone of these men as the one with the laser that projected a point on his chest.