Level 12
Level 12

Character Creation

Post by BrokenWire2086 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:55 am

System: NWoD Mage the Awakening
Number of Players: 3-5
Creation: Standard from Chapter Two page 64, Mage the Awakening
Character Background: Age 18-30 and American born and raised
The Orders: Each of the orders represent the houses which influenced much of the character's years while going through school. The orders have very little influence in the social standing of a mage after leaving school.
Options: Players may discuss if they want to start with their characters having a higher starting level or higher learning curve during game play.
Alternatives: I may be willing to accept one or two alternative character types so long as they conform to the themes of the game.

Any interest or questions feel free to post them here.

I have a basic character Idea I just need to know some particulars on the world/setting. OK, so this is set in the Harry potter world, just a bit more grimdark and American. Are you transferring all the places and such into America or is it all going to be new name's same premise, or is it going to be all new as designed by you. And what about wands, do we need them (like in the books) or are they just an accessory. Do "wizards" still come of age at 17 or is that changing (No real mechanical effect, just useful info when we write our backgrounds. I've read all the books about a hundred times so I know the world pretty well.
All of the places from the movies (which will be used for cannon over the books) will exist in the game world but they exist in Great Britain. Many similar places will exist in the United States but not carbon copies and many with very American style flavor about them.

Wands are simply the most common Path Tool (see page 89) for wizards though some choose to develop their own tools. Also nearly any mage who is taught at a formal school is taught by wand as it gives them a common ground to work with. Additionally it is possible to cast magic without a tool with a wizard who has sufficient experience, but he will never be as strong as one who is using an established Path Tool. The movies support this as often wizards are seen casting spells without a tool, and several tools other than wands have been used (Hagreds umbrella and Moody's staff for two examples)

As for coming of age, a young wizard will develop his abilities at a very young age (this is based on Harry Potter not White Wolf) and will spend much of his younger years in some form of formal training in magic, these schools are as common as Ivy league universities in the RL. Player characters will be between the age of 18 (just over the coming of age for a young wizard) and 30 (an arbitrary age chosen to be still a young adult)

Good questions, keep them coming.

EvilMonkey
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Character Creation

Post by EvilMonkey » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:47 pm

How about Broomsticks? Broomsticks are the most common method of transportation for witches and wizards in the canon only second to Apparation, Will we have to spend Merit dots to own one (they would technically be considered Imbued Items) or can we get them with just cash? This is actually kind of important to my Character idea.

Paradox: In the movies and books Paradox makes no appearance despite the most vulgar of magics being used. Will there be different effects (Perhaps tuned down a little bit), or will it be as per the book.

Potions: In the Canon potions are a very important part of magical learning and are very common. However there are no rules in the book for brewing potions, nor their usage or effects. Will you perhaps house rule something up. (Maybe you can only create potions of your Arcana spells and its an Extended Intelligence+Crafts roll)

I am a huge fan of the books so I will probably keep finding more questions.
Here, you hold this jar of acid and the rattlesnake. I've got to hop on the unicycle and get this chainsaw revved up.

BrokenWire2086
Level 12
Level 12

Post by BrokenWire2086 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:22 pm

Questions are great, they help fill in the gaps where others may be thinking similar things. The short answer is going to be that the NWoD system will be modified where needed to match the themes behind HP. To address the specific questions posed:

1) Imbued Items: These items are much more common in the world of Harry Potter and as a result will be cheaper in the game. To match the common nature of the items we will instead be using the Fetish guidelines from the Forsaken books:
One-Dot: A useful item, but only under specific circumstances.

Two-Dot: A weapon no more useful than mundane weaponry, or a more versatile item that grants a minor bonus in a variety of situations or a considerable bonus in one.

Three-Dot: A potent item. This could be a weapon with a minor blessing, or an item that could be used reli- ably in dangerous situations.

Four-Dot: An item with a very useful, broadly appli- cable power. If a weapon, it may have a consistently useful power in addition to the simple damage it inflicts, or a strong power that is used infrequently.

Five-Dot: A legendary item, certainly with a unique name and story, possibly with one or more spirits bound into it. If a weapon, it may inflict aggravated damage.
2) Brooms: Using the guidelines above a broom would be a level 3 imbued item.

3) Potions: Sticking with the Forsaken books for items and artifacts; in-order to create potions a character will need to purchase purchase a "Potions" merit that can be purchased from level 1-5, which will determine the level of potion that can be created. The level of the effect desired will be based on the above chart for imbued items and will only be usable one time.

4) Vulgarity (p113) and Disbelief (p274): This is an aspect of magic unique to the America's and was enacted by the Grand Council in response to strains placed upon the Council in the early years of the nations history. As a method of keeping muggles ignorant to the effects of magic a spell known as "The Inquisition" was cast and its effects can still be felt to this day. With that said, paradox is not a strong aspect of the game and will only be used by me (the story teller) in those situations where the players are getting out of control and acting in complete disregard for hiding the nature of magic.

Keep the questions coming...

EvilMonkey
Level 12
Level 12

Post by EvilMonkey » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:09 pm

Then since stuff like that will severely eat away at merit dots available at character creation. And since Potions are an extremely well used branch of magic and taught in all places of Magical learning. Might I suggest granting a single dot (or more) for free to reflect the fact that we have graduated from school.

As for broomsticks, thats still pretty damned expensive for something that is in nearly every single wizarding home (Except in the Middle East where the flying carpet is more popular). And I think it would more be useful under certain circumstances, you want to travel or play a broomsport, which is a one dot Item though I could see it as being two dots, but thats still expensive for such a commonplace item in my opinion.

I like the way you're handling paradox, and we would have the wizarding law to keep us in line. (This law is known as "The International Statute of Secrecy") And no one wants squads of trained hit wizards (This is a phrase actually used in the books (Book 3 to be precise) coming down to kick some ass. Nor do we wish to have our PC's sitting in a wizard prison (or so I would hope).

Like I said, I've read ALL the books, including Quidditch Through the Ages, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, and The Tales of Beedle the Bard. I love the Harry potter universe having grown up reading it.

How I see the Values of certain Items in the HP Canon

1 dot: Normal Broomstick (Comet 260, Cleansweep 5-7), Extendable Ears

2 dot: High Quality Racing Broom (Nimbus 2000-2001, Firebolt), Hand of Glory

3 dot: Invisibility Cloak, Moody's Eye

4 dot: The Ressurection Stone, Horcrux

5 dot: The Sorceror's Stone, the Elder Wand, The Sword of Gryffindor
Here, you hold this jar of acid and the rattlesnake. I've got to hop on the unicycle and get this chainsaw revved up.

BrokenWire2086
Level 12
Level 12

Post by BrokenWire2086 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:29 pm

I on the other hand have not read every book written by Rollings as I expect many of the other players on the game have not as well. The choice to set the game in the united states is to give players who are not as familiar with the world an opportunity to still play and not feel at a disadvantage. This is more about finding the common ground between Harry potter and the world of darkness, which should be an interesting blending of the darker themes which started to appear later in the series.

For this game the movies will take priority over the books as I feel it's easier for new players and those new to the world to watch a quick two hour film over reading several large novels.

As for the cost of brooms. They are common (but so too are $15k cars in muggle homes), I agree, which is why they are easily purchased for relative cheep. Also exp is not needed to be spent on a second broom after the first is destroyed, as the exp has already been spent, only would need to find a new one. But to charge less I feel would undercut the fact that it's an artifact that imparts the ability for the owner to fly.

BrokenWire2086
Level 12
Level 12

Post by BrokenWire2086 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:33 pm

Character concepts: please PM me with character concepts (1 paragraph) so I can give them a look over before people go to the effort of starting characters in full.

BrokenWire2086
Level 12
Level 12

Post by BrokenWire2086 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:55 pm

Missed that other question about starting with free points. Outside of the points you get at character creation which you can spend however you wish, there was an option put up in the other thread that if players want to start with more experienced mages to bring it to a vote. This higher starting level would apply to all characters and cause exp gained surfing the game to be slightly less.

EvilMonkey
Level 12
Level 12

Post by EvilMonkey » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:08 pm

I would definietly vote for some extra experience. It would allow me to own a broomstick and not neuter the rest of my character. And a few extra skills and rotes would be nice.

BrokenWire2086
Level 12
Level 12

Post by BrokenWire2086 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:15 pm

It's a 3 point Merritt.... How is that neutering anything?

EvilMonkey
Level 12
Level 12

Post by EvilMonkey » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:17 pm

When you only get 7 dots to start with, three of them is a pretty big purchase...