Prelude: Those Blasted Varmits

The year is 2112. Mankind has all but abandoned a desolate Earth in lieu of exploring space. Their homeworld laid waste and ravaged by a deadly virus, humanity makes their new home amongst the stars and planets that adorn the universe. Haunted reminders of a brutal past soon become prevalent and our heroes are forced to combat an ancient enemy. The dead rise from their graves and live once more! This time in space. AFMBE: Deadly Resurgence is a Hybridized Space Opera campaign in which players battle the undead in a futuristic science fiction/survival horror setting. Utilizing the All Flesh Must Be Eaten rules by UniSystem Games, Deadly Resurgence hopes to tell the tale of what it would be like if one were to encounter technologically advanced forms of undead in space.The game is run by our own Cyborg Psychotic, Eanwulf the Grey.
EvilMonkey
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Prelude: Those Blasted Varmits

Post by EvilMonkey » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:09 pm

Sparx optic sensors scan the hole, seeing no evidence of a bloody explosion that would have been likely if he had hit the creature at this range. "Hmmm, If I were to hazard a guess I would say the things has escaped. However if you would like to follow the thing down the hole, be my guest." He scans the field of carnage around him, taking in the bloody destruction. "I believe it would be prudent to burn the corpses, both tusker and sprite alike." He keeps the shotgun leveled at the hole in case the thing should decide to pop back up and "say hello".
Here, you hold this jar of acid and the rattlesnake. I've got to hop on the unicycle and get this chainsaw revved up.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:32 am

"What about my damned fence!?" grumbles Old Man Krabitz as he rushes over to check on Old Red and the rest of his herd. "Ya done went and blasted it to pieces!" Confident that his prized tusker is alright, other than having suffered only a few gashes and a bite mark or two, the old geezer then wrinkles up his nose up at Deputy Sparx' notion of burning the dead sand sprites on his property. "Well Sheriff!?" inquires the old man grumpily. "What do ya plan do to now!? Let Deputy-Boy over there hole up and have himself a barbecue on my land or what!?"
No signs of the last sand sprite. It could be digging or possibly even moving about in the preexisting tunnel. For now however, things appear to be alright.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

EvilMonkey
Level 12
Level 12

Post by EvilMonkey » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:01 am

Sprax is having none of the old coot's indignation, several lights on his metallic body turn from green to red as the robot begins to unload on the old farmer. "Well do pardon me good sir. I would have figured you'd be thanking us for taking care of your problem for you." He quickly moves to where the farmer now stands and continues to give the man the what-for. "However if you wish to complain about a damaged fence as opposed to thanks for saving you and your cattle. Then you may bite my shiny metal ass, oh mightily ingrateful one." Sparx spins around to face Frank. "Sheriff, we have accomplished our mission, we have defended this old crusty prick's life and livelihood, and unless you wish to waste more of your time chasing mutated mole-rats through holes in the ground then I do believe there is paper work waiting for us at the station."
Here, you hold this jar of acid and the rattlesnake. I've got to hop on the unicycle and get this chainsaw revved up.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:04 am

Frank frowns, "I suggest getting a good insurance policy," the sheriff quips. "In the mean time, maybe blast the hole with TNT or something." He shrugs, "Like I said before, extermination isn't in my job description." He goes about reloading his peacemaker and turns to leave. "If they start giving you problems again, we'll come back, if I can get my deputy out of the doughnut shop."
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:43 pm

Old Man Krabitz' face turns 100 shades of red as Deputy Sparx cuts loose and tears him a new one as best as a Lawbot is allowed to do. The old man's face then reddens further at Sheriff Steiner's utter lack of concern towards his fence and current dilemma. Most likely in the early stages of a stroke, the old geezer quickly draws forth a heavy sigh and tries to distract himself by stroking the giant tusker known as Old Red. After several moments of awkward silence, Old Man Krabitz does something that he hasn't done in over thirty years. Look grateful.

"I reckon I do owe you and your Deputy here an apology Sheriff." the old man comments only still somewhat cranky. His hands still caressing Old Red's coarse hide, Krabitz continues; a look of sheer exaltation upon his face. "And I reckon that I owe you two much thanks for getting rid of these here varmits for me." Now spitting on the ground in front of him, Old Man Krabitz then adds. "Yup, I reckon so..."

Suddenly, the morning air is filled with an intense showdown of stares. Old Man Krabitz' stares at Sheriff Steiner. Sheriff Steiner glares at Old Man Krabitz. Old Man Krabitz then looks over at Deputy Sparx. Deputy Sparx' optic sensors flicker about and whirl at Old Man Krabitz. Old Man Krabitz turns to look down at the dead sand sprites. Flies buzz about their carcasses. The process continues...

Spitting upon the ground yet again, Old Man Krabitz finally concludes.

"Yup, I reckon so."
LOL Yup! I'm a dick! Hope ya had fun! Flavor post as you want and I'll be concentrating on the other two Preludes so I can get your guys intertwined with them ASAP.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

EvilMonkey
Level 12
Level 12

Post by EvilMonkey » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:41 pm

The red switches turn back to green, the hydrolic shocks that only a moment ago gave him an imposing height, lower back down with a slight hiss as the old farmer discovers humility. His tone much softer now he speaks again. "That is... quite alright, sir. We'll just chalk it up to stress shall we."

He turns and points his "hands" to the various corpses strewn about. "Now, I don't know what those creatures were doing to that dead tusker but whatever it was, it wasn't right. I highly suggest we burn those corpses just to be on the safe side, just in case they somehow managed to... reproduce. I also suggest we do something about that tunnel, Dynamite and a shovel should do the trick for now." The lawbot shifts again and surveys the damaged fence. "As for your fence, well the damage is repairable, though it may take some time. However, living out here, I'm sure thats something you have plenty of. I believe there may be a way to grant some monetary compensation for damages caused through the course of our duties here, come down to the station sometime soon and speak with the desk clerk. Mable, is a lovely old woman and will be all to happy to help you fill out the necessary paperwork."

His humanitarian aid protocols now fulfilled he turns to the sheriff. "I do believe our work here is done Frank. Now I believe I have more paperwork to catch up on and you have a date with clogging your arteries and massacring your liver with some of Harold's greasy tusker bacon, and cheap Cardoshian Magma Whiskey. Shall we go?" He turns to Krabitz. "You take care now, and call us if anything else comes up."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:20 pm

Frank looks downright uncomfortable as he returns Krabitz's stare. "Thanks," he says finally after the long awkward silence. The sheriff certainly wasn't expecting any kind words from the old codger, and decides to himself that the old man must either be about ready to keel over, or the man's dementia has become so great he has forgotten he hates everything but his animals.

He lets his sidekick to the talking, the gives the robot a look, "Why the hell did they give you vocalizers anyway? All you do is spew annoying drivel." Frank turns and walks toward the land rover.

EvilMonkey
Level 12
Level 12

Post by EvilMonkey » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:38 pm

The law bot walks side by side with frank to the car. "I believe it had something to do with being able to call out to you if I see you're about to get your half metallic ass blown off. Also I'm pretty sure it's easier to quell an angry mob with shouted words than with a tiny script on a screen. Besides I got the man to apologize and give you some thanks. I figured it would be good for you to receive some as you only ever seem to be able to get gratification from your right hand."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:44 pm

"I hope you rust," Frank says, pulling up the door and getting into the passenger's seat. "Be useful and drive," he says, "I have to research that new law bot. I can sell you to old Krabitz to help herd his flock. You two would make a nice pair. Sparx the shepherd, I like that."

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:20 am

Dammit, I wanted to wait til Muskrat and MadVlat finished their thing, but can't. One last post before finishing up their finale and moving on to your next segment. Enjoy!
And so Sheriff Frank Steiner's land rover takes leave of Old Man Krabitz' farm. The two arguing lawmen begrudgingly proceed to make their rounds about the Badlands, leaving the crazy old coot to finish tending to his herd. As the two disappear from view, Old Man Krabitz can be seen hosing off Old Red. "There there Red," the ornery cuss croons softly, his 10,000 wrinkles somewhat smoothed by a genuine smile. "We'll get ya fixed up in no time!"

Done with his bath, Old Man Krabitz shuts off the water and begins to lead Old Red back to his pen by the leash. "C'mon boy..." the old man commands lovingly as he pats the battle-weary tusker on the side of his neck. "Let's get you back home and well-fed." Still leading his prized bull by the tether, Old Man Krabitz continues to ramble.

"That's right Red. We'll call Doc Hakum once we're done getting you sum grub. He'll be here in no time and then we'll have him take a look at them there wounds. Why...why you'll be back up-n-mountin' in no time!" Feeling a sudden and heavy resistance on the other end of the leash, Old Man Krabitz quickly finishes up with his banter. "You'd like that boy. Wouldn't ya Red?"

"Red???" the old man quips out of curiosity, now turning about in inquiry. "What is it boy???"

CLICK HERE FOO

Suddenly, a hideous and piercing screech is heard coming from beneath the earth! The last remaining sand sprite has emerged from beneath its hidden lair and swiftly grabs a hold old Old Man Krabitz' legs. Screaming frantically, the old man cries out in pain as the ravenous little creature then proceeds to drag him down and devour his feet. "Help me Red!" the old man cries out in panic, the tiny little terror down below still munching away at his piggies. The old tusker merely snorts and holds his ground, possibly realizing that if he were to intervene it would only wind up worse for his master. Animals are funny that way.

Instead, the old man is slowly drug down into the hole, eaten bit by bit by the ravenous sand sprite. A look of sheer terror falls upon Krabitz' bloody face as he desperately begins to call out for help. "Sheriff!!!" the old man cries out loud, as if his words would somehow actually manage to find their way to Steiner's ears. "Help...me..." Now halfway emerged, Old Man Krabitz continues on with is final and last words. "Sheriff...come back...I never got...to...say...thank you..."

And just like that, Old Man Krabitz is drug down into the hole and eaten by a lonely sand sprite!
Muhuhahahaha! Every action has its recourse. By the same token. Every dog gets his day as well it would seem ;)

Time to get the other guys caught up. Feel free to rant and rave on routine calls if you so desire.

BTW Old Man Krabitz never actually said thanks, just "I reckon so." ;)