Let the questions begin...

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Let the questions begin...

Post by MadVlat » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:45 am

This society... You recommended "Pandorum", is the game going to be a crashed and cut off from civilization type scenario? Give me some juicy bits to work with here...
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Re: Let the questions begin...

Post by Eanwulf » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:16 am

I actually talked about the game a lot tonight with a buddy of mine I used to play with and honestly like the idea of having players create several character concepts at first and then ultimately have them play through the story as it unfolds in a three-staged progression. I say this because I can see the game's initial campaign as experiencing the outbreak from its origin and then going on from there. Granted, it would require a bit of focusing and herding on the players' parts to devise their characters' concepts inside of a much tighter and selective spectrum than most are probably used to. But should overall, allow everyone to experience a truly gritty and fast-paced game of survival horror in which, they already know that only the smart and strong survive.

Once the game unfolds however, there would be time to create a more stable and long-term oriented character as the information on what is causing the zombies to occur comes apparent, etc. Who knows, those players fortunate to have survived the previous incidents might even become pertinent NPCs as time goes on, having experienced the outbreak from Ground Zero.

I mentioned players watching Pandorum as one of the stages of the outbreak I envisioned dealt with a situation in which the party members rudely awaken from their cryo-sleep aboard a passenger liner in which, all hell is apparently about to break loose! The movie itself totally captured that anxiety and feeling of suspense I saw in my own mind's eye.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:48 am

First character concept:

Team 7 Security Officer...
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:57 am

Idea...

First stage: Outbreak- Ship damaged by hell gone wild. Initiation to the plague and its ravenous victims. Ship meets planetary civilization the hard way.

Second stage: Wreckage- Surviving crew and passengers salvage what they can and make a break for it.

Third stage: The long haul- Survivors make their way towards the populace to warn them with gnashing teeth on their asses.

Just some really rough thoughts there but I think thats what your trying to do...

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:12 am

Actually, the first stage would be on some remote mining planet. A portion of land used as a secret biological testing grounds. There, the upgraded attempts at recreating a nanotech virus goes horribly wrong. Unknowingly orchestrated by the remnants of a rogue and long since thought vanquished AI, the virus spreads and infects itself amongst the local inhabitants of said mining facility.

I was thinking something along the lines of a remote facility akin to that movie Moon 44. Could even do it as a interplanetary mining facility where they draw and collect asteroids into herded colonies and then inhabit/mine them.

The second stage would be aboard a passenger liner in which a Johnny Mnemonic type courier tries to smuggle the virus' data back to his company's HQ. Ever adapting itself, the virus soon overcomes the courier's safeguards and infects the ship.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:15 am

Overall, I want to constantly keep you guys guessing and amidst a true world of chaos as the virus erupts. I don't want you to think "We're the good guys and are gonna overcome this!" as that's not what Sci-fi Horror is. It's more along the lines of ultimately realizing "OSHI- we're all gonna die!"

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:23 am

I also see the game's name of "Resurgence" being vital to its theme as well. This is the telling of a sudden and unexpected resurgence of an epidemic long thought to have been overcome and conquered. This time, the outbreak is much more severe and highly adaptive due to the rogue AI's influence and programming upon it. I want to develop a sense that the world as we -RL people- know it is no more, having been rendered all but useless and corrupt through the course of the previous outbreak. Mankind, in turn, is forced to inhabit the stars and seek their lifestyles elsewhere. Earth, though vital to the endgame portion of the campaign, is pretty much one of those backwater places you don't want to go lest you have to; i.e. do something wrong and the Corporation sends you to work on Earth amidst the pollution, corruption, and Deadites! Yes, Deadites. Think sentient undead originally created to be used as menial labor and security, now a race unto themselves and segregated from humanity.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:14 am

Now that I've read the timeline, I see how this is going. The initial guy, I could play just about anything. Let me know what you need, are you still doing pregens?
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:23 am

I had an idea for those of you not familiar with AFMBE Ruleset to possibly portray the roles of a backwaters sheriff and his robotic deputy on some random and remote mining planet. The two would be sent out to deal with a crusty old survivalist prospector who - despite numerous warnings - seems hellbent on trying to mine for minerals in a restricted area. Chaos soon erupts in a violent explosion of undead gooeyness.

Reckon what I need to know is how many people we actually have playing thus far as roles could be filled for: the sheriff, his deputy, a crazy prospector, some form of scientific researcher and possibly even said scientist's bodyguard.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:24 am

Looks like:

EvilMonkey
MadVlat
TetNak

thus far.

Did jigglypuff or hayabusa want in?