Prelude - Heaven and Hell

Blood of Heroes - A 3rd Edition Mutants and Masterminds Campaign Setting

Earth, 2021. An alien race known as the Skree has ruled over the planet for the past 20 years, subjecting the local populace to the sadistic whims of their most brutal reign. True heroes have been all but eradicated during the Skree Invasion of 1999-2001. That or they have fallen prey to the Skree's corruptive influence and mind-altering technology. Those heroes that still survive, do so either in reclusive hiding or by battling one another in gladiator-like fashion as the Skree's amusement. Now after twenty years of servitude, a new breed of heroes are slowly starting to emerge. Fed up with the decadence that now surrounds them and fueled by their own personal desires, these young heroes have decided to try and make a stand for humanity, once and for all.

Does this new breed of heroes have what it takes to rise up against the Skree and take back their homeworld? Are they capable of breaking the shackles of oppression that bind them to a life of unwavering servitude? Time shall tell True Believers, to see whether or not these few elite individuals truly possess...the Blood of Heroes.

Join the Ranks of the New Breed Today!

Game Moderated by your everluvin' pal Eanwulf.
Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Re: Prelude - Finale

Post by Eanwulf » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:08 am

Fowler scowls and frowns. He is none too pleased with what has transpired in his complex and it shows. Crystal rushes over to her boys and squeezes them tightly, showering the pair in snotty kisses. Crystal's brother smiles briefly at the bizarre display of motherly affection and then proceeds to step forward, his direction headed towards Remnant and Fowler.

Crystal's brother tussles the hair of one of his nephews as he walks away. "We'd probably do best to head downstairs and see what all the hubbub is about." the man informs Mr. Fowler. "Stranger here can take care of those two punks topside, isn't that right Stranger?" Crystal's brother refers of course, to Remnant and the two men that the hero previously dealt with just prior to making his way down into the laundry room.

Old man Fowler continues to frump and looks highly pissed off. Oddly enough, he seems to agree with Crystal's brother. "Let's go...!" the towering behemoth of a landlord barks brusquely, never once easing up on the grip upon his aluminum baseball bat.
Reckon this would be time for Muskrat to respond to Fowler's and Crystal's brother's appearance. veritas can ask a question or two to Crystal and/or her kids if he wants. Either way, I'll do some more as time and work permits.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:26 am

Jack will attempt to engage in small talk with Crystal, more to keep her calm and help her unwind than anything else. He attempts to gently inquire as to why these men were attacking her, but doesn't push. He props the two men he had previously knocked out against the side of the building while conversing, removing any weapons from their persons.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:36 am

Before Remnant heads upstairs, Pilgrim introduces himself. "Nice to meet you, Jack. Folks call me in Pilgrim. I might just stop by your apartment. We should probably talk. Seems like we're both interested in protecting this apartment complex, but have different styles of doing so." Pilgrim thinks this is something of an understatement, but he wants to be diplomatic. "We're lucky we didn't step on each others' toes here and just make things worse. We should figure out someway we can work together or at least not get in each others' way if something like this ever comes up again."

Once Remnant heads upstairs, Pilgrim turns to the gang members. "Now, before I let you near your boss, you chuckleheads are gonna kick your guns to me through the field of light. I'm not letting you out of here with something that dangerous in your possession. You might hurt yourselves." Pilgrim thinks that is is rather un-Christian of him to rag on these jokers this way, but he couldn't resist the jab. He silently asks God to forgive him. Once the thugs have kicked the guns his way, Pilgrim empties them of bullets, then jams them in his pockets. He'll throw them out once the thugs are well away. He pauses to reshape the field of light so that it now includes Tough Luck and the gang members can see to their boss. Once he's finished with the guns, he tells them, "Now we're just going to wait until Crystal has had a chance to get away."

As he says this, he sees the landlord and a stranger come down the stairs. "Ah, Mister Fowler," he says. "We had a situation down here. These jokers were trying to kidnap one of your other tenants or something. Managed to shoot their own boss instead. As you can see, with God's help, I've got the situation under control." He acts nonchalant about the barrier of light. He assumes rumors about the gifts God has given him have reached the landlord. Whether or not the old man has believed them before--well, he'll probably believe them now.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:48 am

Once again, trying to cover the basics and bring this Prelude to an end w/o forgetting any of the good stuff.
** Remnant **
Crystal seems nervous around Remnant. After all, Pilgrim was quite apprehensive when dealing with the fiery stranger down in the laundry room. Why shouldn't she be herself as well? Besides, Crystal only seems to be vaguely familiar with who Remnant is at all. Any past recollections of his presence in the apartment complex most likely buried or lost amidst a sea of panic and worry. Nevertheless, the woman adheres to her brother's desire to have the man protect her and her children and does so; allowing Remnant the chance to break the ice amidst moving the thugs he defeated about the courtyard.
Don't forget your pizza!

Assume Crystal introduces herself and apologizes for giving you the cold shoulder. She tends to her kids for a bit and then leans down to let the calm one (Pierce) whisper something in her ear. She then informs you that her son (Pierce) seems to like you and wants to know if it hurts when your eyes burn like that. Apparently he's seen you on fire and is curious. He even goes so far as to give you a hug for saving his mother. The other child (Warren) wants nothing to do with you and is content enough to keep sticking his tongue out at you behind his mother's back whenever he gets the chance to do so.

When the time to discuss why she was attacked, Crystal responds with the following:

"Oh hon, those buffoons weren't attacking me per se. They just wanted to try and shake me down for my soon-to-be-ex-husband's whereabouts. To be honest, I have no earthly clue where that lousy good for nothing freeloader is hiding at. He did show up three nights ago, begging me for money, anything I could spare. Something about getting himself into trouble big-time. I've heard his shit before hon and know his routine all too well. He's nearly always out of cash and generally looking to score drugs. He'll say anything and everything he can to try and get me to give him some of my babies' money and I won't do it anymore! I didn't do it! Hell, I can't do it any more. Not any more hon, I'm done with his crap! I've already lost so much as it is. Anyways, I sent his sorry ass packing and he was pissed. Tried to beat the door down and threatened to kill me, but just like always, he ran off when I threatened to call my brother and the police. We were supposed to have dinner tonight, my brother and I. I needed to borrow some money to make rent and he was going to lend it to me. I wonder why he showed up here instead of the restaurant. Maybe the League needed him for some kind of training exercise, who knows..."
** Pilgrim **
Having shown interest in working out a basic camaraderie with his neighbor, Pilgrim sets himself upon the task of making sure that none of the thugs are armed when the time comes to deal with them further. The four men, though their mannerisms seem to reflect a sense of great reluctance, prove reasonable enough and quickly kick their weapons aside. Several of the goons even comment about wanting to get as far away from Hoboken as they can before the word of their evening's fiasco reaches the boss' brothers.

By the time that Mr. Fowler and Crystal's brother arrive at the laundry room, Tough Luck is starting to come around. The bald-headed man immediately slaps whomever is closest to him and demands to know what all has happened. Upon hearing the story, the man slaps another of his cronies and then rises to his feet. Now standing, Tough Luck proceeds to give Pilgrim a most confused-looking nod. "You done did me a solid there brotherman." the leader of the thugs proclaims sincerely, "I won't ever forget that, not ever!"
Tough Luck is hardcore. His face however, seems to show signs of much internal conflict. Maybe you got through to him? Saving a person's life when others around them might normally leave them to fend for themselves does tend to leave quite the impact on a person. Who knows, time will tell whether or not you managed to influence him.
Old man Fowler frowns upon entry to the laundry room. He doesn't respond well at all to Pilgrim's shimmering walls of light. The man that accompanies him merely grins at the hero's creations, downright shark-like. "OHSHI-!" one of the thugs eventually cries out from behind his barrier, having finally gotten a good look at the face of the man accompanying Mr. Fowler, "It's Amber-Jack! He's a muthaf-ing celebrity! Yo 'Jack, how's it feel running with Crimson Crush!? He used to be one of us yo!"
Reputation check, success. You've heard of the name Amber-Jack. He's a gladiator in the S'kree's "Games" over in New New York and is apparently starting to make a name for himself. He and some others are a Bronze level (entry/lower) group of combatants that actually allowed themselves to be genetically manipulated on by the S'kree in order to help provide entertainment for the local populace and the aliens as well. Amber-Jack and three others (one of which a former member of New Jersey's "Bloods") comprise a group known as "The Crimson Crew" and are quite ruthless in their performance.

Knowledge (local)/Streetwise check, success. The leader of the Crimson Crew is the former gang-member, a big fella by the handle of Crimson Crush (the Crimson Crusher originally). Tough Luck's gang (Sex Money Murder) is part of The New Jersey "Bloods" as well. Crimson Crush was a former member of the "Bloods" but allegedly quit the gang to join the ranks of his fellow gladiators.
The man accompanying Mr. Fowler ceases to smile and immediately grows silent, whereas Mr. Fowler himself starts to shout out loud. "You'ze guys shut the hell up!" the cantankerous old landlord roars. "Else I'll wrap this here bat around every single one of yer gawd-damned headz!" Now turning towards Pilgrim, Mr. Fowler then adds. "You said that these here chowderheadz tried to kidnap someone, right? Well then, what the hell did they want with them!? And who'ze gonna clean up all that damned blood on my floor!? Somebody here better start giving me some gawd-damn answers pretty soon, else I'm gonna go apesh-t and play pinata with the entire lot of you'ze!"
3 am, brain's mush. Think I've given you both enough to respond to. I sleep now. So tired...
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:59 pm

Pilgrim nods at Tough Luck and says, "All I ask in return is that you try to treat others the way I treated you."

In response to Mr. Fowler's questions, Pilgrim says, "These fellows are part of a gang called Sex Money Murder, which is affiliated with the Bloods. That there is Tough Luck, one of their leaders. They were after Crystal. Something to do with her ex-husband owing them money. I wouldn't worry about them at the moment--I have their guns and they'll have a tough time getting past that wall of God's holy light." He looks at Amber-Jack curiously, but doesn't say anything, not knowing what his stake is in this. Indeed, he's a little worried that he's a teammate of a man who used to be part of the thugs' gang--he might sympathize with them. He turns back to the gang members. "You all got anything more to say for yourself? You want to volunteer to clean up the blood?"

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:47 pm

** Pilgrim **
"I ain't touching no blood!" one of the thugs quips back in response. "Me either..." another thug promptly chimes in. Mr Fowler's frown only worsens. "Oh geeze," the man proclaims bitterly, "Will you'ze guyz shuddup already!? I'll get Mr. Han to do it for crying out loud!" The large man then begins to glare at the five men trapped inside of Pilgrim's barrier for a few moments before finally turning his gaze over to Pilgrim. "I reckon I owe you'ze one for keeping Crystal safe," the landlord grumbles begrudgingly, "You can have until the 10th to pay yer rent, but don't tell no one that I cut you'ze some slack. I got'z a reputation to maintain after all!"

Amber-Jack stays quiet, his gaze faltering between Pilgrim, Mr. Fowler, and the thugs trapped inside of the laundry room. In time, the man eventually comments. "So what do we want to do about these guys? Surely we ain't thinking about letting them go."

"I know'ze someone in the police department," Mr. Fowler responds, "He ain't on nobody's payroll either. I reckon that I can give him a call and have him send out a paddy wagon. Either way, these scum need to go on and get the hell out of my apartment building!"

"Make the call then," retorts Amber-Jack, "Whatcha waitin for?"
Post if you have any final questions or comments. Otherwise, let's assume that Mr. Fowler has his cop friend come to arrest Tough Luck and his crew?

You two did a fine job not battling one another and even managed to save the day!

Our first adventure will be revolving around the repercussions of Tough Luck failing his mission and getting arrested.

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:41 pm

Jack's expression, previously jovial, darkens as he is forced to remember the reality of his existence.

"It's not physically painful, no. It's difficult to see what it allows me to see, sometimes."

At that, another memory stirs and he smacks his palm into his forehead.

"Ah, I forgot my pizza!"
Jack will go and grab his pizza after Fowler and AmberJack return. If asked, he's all for having cops take the gangers off their hands.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:40 am

Pilgrim nods and says, "I think that's a fine idea, Mr. Fowler, if you can get the police to come pick them up. And thank you for the extension on my rent. We just need to keep a watch out--other members of Sex Money Murder might get a little upset that we sent their boys away to the pokey. Or more of them might come after Crystal. I'll just maintain this field of light till the police can come--I already took their guns away from them."

He turns to AmberJack and says, "Hi. I'm Pilgrim. What's your business here? You a friend of Mr. Fowler?"

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:36 pm

Mr. Fowler smirks at the mentioning of whether or not he can even get the police to show up at his apartment. "Oh don't you'ze worry any,“ the man states proudly, ”The police and me, we'ze got ourselvez an understanding!” The manner in which Fowler speaks seems to imply that there might be more to the man than simply being a belligerent and overbearing landlord.

Amber-Jack seems reluctant to divulge any information about himself in front of Tough Luck and his cronies. Once upstairs and away from the criminals however, the man's mood lightens. "Sorry about that bub," Amber begins, "But I didn't want those chumps knowing who I was other than that guy from the television show if ya know what I mean. The name's Jack bub, Jack Pearson. A pleasure to meet you, I'm Crystal's little brother." Hardly little, Jack goes on to state that he was supposed to take his sister out to dinner later on tonight. Sadly however, his "coach" needs the team to come in and go over some unexpected drills for their upcoming match this Wednesday. Jack in turn, came to drop something off to his sister before heading on in to practice.

Mr. Fowler heads upstairs to use the phone. Roughly an hour later, the police arrive. Tough Luck and his crew are carted off to jail for Attempted Kidnapping Allegations, Trespassing and Unlawful Possession of Unregistered Firearms. The police then begin to interrogate the witnesses of these events and start to take their testimony. "Mommy," cries Warren, Crystal's wild child, "I want pizza too! Make that man give me his pizza, I'm hungry!"
Feel free to wrap things up with your own sense of resolution. I'm going to go ahead and start the game up as if it has been some time since Tough Luck's arrest. The pieces will fit accordingly. Good Job and sorry if this seems abrupt, my sinuses are wreaking havoc and my focus is muddled.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:14 am

Pilgrim nods at Jack's explanation. "Good to meet you. You know, I don't know what kind of resources you've got, but there's a good chance that more thugs from Sex Money Murder will come looking for Crystal to try to get to her ex. If you can, you might want to think about taking her and her kids in until things blow over. They'll probably think twice about attacking a celebrity."