Chapter One: Friday Night Firefight

Blood of Heroes - A 3rd Edition Mutants and Masterminds Campaign Setting

Earth, 2021. An alien race known as the Skree has ruled over the planet for the past 20 years, subjecting the local populace to the sadistic whims of their most brutal reign. True heroes have been all but eradicated during the Skree Invasion of 1999-2001. That or they have fallen prey to the Skree's corruptive influence and mind-altering technology. Those heroes that still survive, do so either in reclusive hiding or by battling one another in gladiator-like fashion as the Skree's amusement. Now after twenty years of servitude, a new breed of heroes are slowly starting to emerge. Fed up with the decadence that now surrounds them and fueled by their own personal desires, these young heroes have decided to try and make a stand for humanity, once and for all.

Does this new breed of heroes have what it takes to rise up against the Skree and take back their homeworld? Are they capable of breaking the shackles of oppression that bind them to a life of unwavering servitude? Time shall tell True Believers, to see whether or not these few elite individuals truly possess...the Blood of Heroes.

Join the Ranks of the New Breed Today!

Game Moderated by your everluvin' pal Eanwulf.
Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Chapter One: Friday Night Firefight

Post by Eanwulf » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:16 pm

Friday, April 2nd, 2021, Roughly 900 p.m.
Excelsior Arms Apartment, Inner Courtyard
Approximately 51 degrees Fahrenheit, Moderate Breeze and Overcast

Crystal Pearson can be seen shaving the head of one of her children, a pleasant enough-looking boy by the name of Pearce. The child sits calmly in front of his mother and without protest, whilst the woman's other son, a mischievous little brat named Warren, cackles with glee. The cackling boy points a finger down at his brother and continues to laugh aloud. "Pearce got head lice!" the boy teases profusely, "Pearce got head lice!"
Read below and then post from your point of view, given each of the players' scenarios. The following above is merely mood enhancer for the things to come.

Assume that in one way or another you are aware of Crystal's presence outside in the courtyard, but given the location of each of your heroes as well as how pre-occupied they might be etc. each of you haven't really kept up with the woman's activities. You just knew that there was a lady and her kids outside doing something together.

By all means, feel free to use the ** YOUR TOON'S NAME ** method of heading the posts that ake until we are all on the same page.

Enjoy and sorry if this seems rushed. I want to get you guys going and being stuck at work is kind of unexpecedtly crappy LOL.
You recently finished pulling a Double-10 covering for your dad who seems to have caught the flu. The good news is that you are off today. The bad news being that you slept most of it away already. You currently sit outside the door to your apartment with a six-pack by your feet.
The two of you and Mr. Han have just come back from a most pleasant walk together. Mr. Han is tired, the concentration from maintaining Ookami's illusion this past hour or so finally taking its toll on the old man. The spell is not one of his usual, as such it tends to leave the man tired and winded.

The three of you have stopped in front of the stairwell at Nikolai's apartment building to bid one another good night. Ookami appears to be staying with Nick tonight, it's kind of a you take him-I'll take him deal right now. There has been no word from Mr. Han about Old Man Fowler's response to Ookami's presence as of yet and you are starting to wonder if he has even told the man.

Perhaps he hasn't, that or he simply doesn't care about what the landlord thinks. Either way everything has been perfectly fine up until now.
After listening to a rather extensive ipod seminar on the inherit sins of man from their fathers, you've decided that it's time to stretch your legs outside and enjoy the cool crisp night air. Pondering your own father's existence, should you indeed know the man, you wonder what kind of man he might have been and/or is now to have inherted such unusual talents as the ones you now possess. Perhaps you got such gifts from your mother's side of the family, perhaps even from the Almighty himself, who knows. One thing that is for certain, the air outside is highly refreshing!

Pausing from your ponderings you spot Crystal shaving her son's head. The woman likewise notices you and raises a friendly hand to wave, shrugging shortly afterwards with a goofy look on her face as if she were trying to say "Kids, what do ya do with them?" You go to wave back but suddenly hear the sounds of your cell phone ringing in whatever tone you might have it set on. The caller ID indicates that it is a collect call from prison.

No real big surprise however, since Tough Luck has gone out of his way these past two weeks or so to track you down and talk more about the Almighty's plan for his children. Apparently, the gang-leader is looking to turn over a new leaf.
Bad luck on a random patrol three nights ago. You ran into a gang of hoods that actually decided to bring their A-game amidst the attempt of trying to tail a pair of S'kree on hover patrol. The fight was bloody but you prevailed. You have also spent the past two nights healing up from a rather nasty pair of bruised ribs. Alright now, you spend your time in the basement this evening contemplating whether or not you should go out and dish the thugs up a nice steaming plate of kung-fu revenge.
It must be a full moon or something, Malphas' restless. As such, you've come outside and currently spend your time fluctuating between taking the time to stare up at the cloudy night sky to try and see if it is indeed one and wondering what the hell Old Man Fowler is doing patrolling around your apartment building. The latter soon becomes quite apparent. Fowler is placing "Rent Due" envelopes on the front doors of those buildings who haven't managed to pay their rent this month. The behemoth of a man is in your neck of the woods, though he hasn't approached your apartment. He can periodically be seen looking over at Crystal and her children. I wonder why. <- Sarcasm
Last edited by Eanwulf on Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Chapter One: Friday Night Firefight

Post by Trogdor » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:37 pm

** Count Tenebrous **

"Ookami and I will have a fine evening," Nick replies. "Perhaps I can convince him to play a few games of backgammon, or if I'm fortunate, cribbage." Then he looks over at Crystal shaving her child's head. Such things were more common these days as chemical treatments were largely unavailable - at least in this neighborhood. He shakes his head at the need for such drastic measures., as well as the bad reaction the poor boys brother is showing. But as the matter is none of his concern, he holds his tongue.

"What do you say Ookami? Are you up for a game or two this evening?"

Isn't CT on the first floor?

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:11 am

** Pilgrim **

Pilgrim sympathizes with Pearce, having had to go through having his own head shaved for lice as a child. He absently runs his hand over his bald head. Maybe that's one of the reasons he keeps his head shaved now.

He is about to speak to Crystal, to see how she's been doing, to make sure she hasn't been harassed by anyone from Sex Money Murder, when he hears his phone ring, the tone being the sound of a gospel quire singing. Seeing it is from prison, he smiles. He's been enjoying his conversations with Tough Luck. He likes helping someone move from sin to grace, but he can also relate to Tough Luck, given their common past as gang members. Too many people he encounters, like much of the congregation at the church he attends and where he works as a janitor, can't quite bring themselves to entirely trust him because of his past. Tough Luck, whatever his other problems, doesn't have that baggage. He answers the phone: "Hello, this is Pilgrim."

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:21 am

** Pilgrim **

The mechanical drone of an automated response echoes in Pilgrim's ear. Hudson County Department of Corrections speaking. You have a collect call from: Answer the Phone Man it's me!

The voice is Tough Luck's though he sounds very upset. The drone continues.

If you'd like to accept the charges, please press one or say yes now...
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Chanur
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
User Class: Gunslinger

Post by Chanur » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:06 am

** Cobalt **

Sitting in front of his apartment Luke tries to rub the sleep from his eyes. Deciding sitting out in the fresh air would be better than here he picks up his six pack and moves to the courtyard. Stepping outside Luke plops down on the stairs and see's another tenant giving her son a hair cut. Sitting down the beer he pulls out a bottle of Blue Moon and twists the top off. Taking a deep swig he let's out "Ahhhh but needs an orange slice." before returning his gaze to Crystal. She is an attractive gal and Luke a young guy. Calling out he offers some friendly chatter "He sits still pretty well, I never could at that age. The names Luke, Im in 103B."

Looking around the rest of the courtyard Luke looks to see if anyone else is out. He thinks to himself its time he take a camping trip again, he want's to roam "free". Next time off he is going to head out.

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:40 am

** Remnant **

Jack notices Mr. Fowler leering at Crystal and merely rolls his eyes. The old b*****d is miserly as all hell and a bit of an a**, but he's not evil.

As he follows Fowler's gaze, Jack can't help but notice that Crystal's other son, Warren, is behaving quite poorly. Again. His mind immediately begins to question when, not if, the boy will go too far.

He continues to walk leisurely about the complex, lost in thoughts of his future and what his existence means for those around him. The thought occurs to him that before his incident, he'd be trying to help get Crystal's wayward son on the right path. Now, he finds it difficult to accept that the boy can be changed at all.

ardh05
Level 12
Level 12

Post by ardh05 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:14 am

**Ookami**

Ookami watches the child getting his head shaved with a great deal of pity. It was considered battle scars if one lost his fur to a fire or a rival's fangs, but a mark of exile to have it shaven. (Yes, wolves did know how to use sharp rocks to shave other wolves... they weren't very clean shaves, though...) He returns his attention to his new friend, "Alright, I can try and learn this 'baggamon' of yours. By the way, what did the little one do to be exiled?"
When sneaking up on people, leave your cell phone at home... or at least off.

thehitcat
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by thehitcat » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:02 pm

**Raging Tiger**

Tiger runs through some stretches and feels better than he has since right before the fight. It's definitely time to head out and find the remnants of the gang that he ran into three nights before. He owes them some payback. He pulls on his mask and looks out through the basement windows into the courtyard. "Busy tonight," he thinks "I'd better take the back." He sees Fowler putting up his notices "I'll definitely take the back."

He heads to the stairs and a favored window from the first floor corridor that he can open and use to drop down behind the building.
Lorayne Thornhallow, Talan Botley, Raik Anar, Brother Lucian, Nazim al Ayser, David Luo, Radache of Pontyrel

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:40 pm

** Count Tenebrous **

"He is not being exiled," Nick explains patiently. "He's suffering from an infestation of head lice. They live only in human hair, but are sometimes very difficult to get rid of. They also spread quite easily. One of the easiest, albeit drastic, ways to get rid of them is to shave the person's head. No hair means no hair lice. The hair eventually grows back, good as new; hopefully the lice stay away." He shakes his head. "Still, it's sad to see the poor boy lose his hair. It'll probably be hard for him until it starts to grow in a little."

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:53 am

Notes on Map Below:
Yes, the squares are 5 ft. each.
Gray areas in between buildings are stairwells, they go up to each of the five floors and down into the basement and/or laundryoom.

Colors are as follows:
Cobalt (dark blue)
Count Tenebrous (purple)
Ookami (red)
Pilgrim (yellow)
Raging Tiger (orange)
Remnant (light blue)
NPC's (white)
Crystal continues to shave her son's head. Not once does the boy flinch or complain. He merely sits there and allows his mother the chance to finish whatever all it is that she is doing. In time, Pearce gently places a hand upon Crystal's wrist to inform his mother that somebody is trying to talk to her from across the courtyard. The already engrossed woman promptly jerks to attention and complies with her son's instruction, slowly raising her head up to see just who it is. As she does so, Crystal's other son Warren begins to scratch his scalp repeatedly. The young boy does so again, this time going wide-eyed as he starts to wonder whether or not he might have lice as well. The young child then shows signs of panic.

Hopefully mother dear failed to notice him scratching away at his head.

** Cobalt **
Crystal raises her head then squints through the darkness and intervening gate that surrounds the pool to see who is speaking. When the woman realizes that it is just a neighbor, she smiles briefly. What a smile! Crystal promptly chimes in with, "Yup, my boy Pearce here has always been a good little trooper. Isn't that right Peace?" The boy being shaved smiles. Crystal responds to her son's smile by tickling his stomach repeatedly. "Isn't that right Pearce," the woman then cackles in a goofy tone as she proceeds to continue tickling him, "Aren't you mommy's good little trooper!? Aren't you?" The boy's brother Warren looks to be quite jealous of his brother's attention and periodically scratches the top and sides of his head. "My name's Crystal," the woman eventually adds amidst her tickling, "I live over there." Crystal neither nods nor points to where "there" might be, just comments.

** Count Tenebrous & Ookami **
Mr. Han chuckles softly at Ookami's ingorance. He then smiles warmly as Count Tenebrous takes the time to explain young Pearce's current dilemma. The Asian man yawns and proceeds to look at his watch. "It past Mr. Han's bedtime," the old man comments half-heartedly, "I should go. Thank you for wonderful time." Mr. Han goes to turn about and make his way home for the night.
Ookami's Super Senses: You notice the scent of something unfamiliar to the east. Likewise you spot movement from behind the eastern apartment building (around the corners) like that of a pack stalking its prey. Surely something must be afoot.

Count Tenebrous' Super Senses: Night time means little to your eyes. Successful Notice check = spotting several people moving about behind the corners of the eastern building. Wouldn't be so bad if they weren't wearing gang jackets and wielding guns.
** Pilgrim **
Pilgrim says "Yes" and then presses "1" just to be sure that the automated call does indeed go through. He then reiterates, "Hello, this is Pilgrim." Another voice responds. "Yo man," the voice replies quite frantically, "It's me, Tough Luck!" Sounding highly agitated and quite fearful, the voice continues. "Listen up P, I ain't got time to explain. I just got word in the joint that me two bruthas are on their way there to make an example out of that white girl and her two kids. Hell, maybe even the entire apartment complex, I don't know! Look man, they ain't taking kindly to me being in jail and think it all yo guys' fault. I tried telling these cops what they're up to, but these stupid fools don't listen for sh-t! That's why I call you first chance I get and I am telling you, stay on yo guard and keep an eye out. There's no telling what them two crazy fools might do!"
Yes, the voice is Tough Luck's. He isn't very happy and for a hardcore gangsta, sounds quite scared.
** Remnant **
Pausing to lean forward, Remnant momentarily rests his hands against a portion of the northern side of the pool's surrounding gate. He then stares across the water to see Crystal and her two boys in the courtyard, seated at a small round stone table. Unsure as to why it is that Old Man Fowler taken such an interest in the three, Remnant gazes on as one of the neighbors tries to make conversation with the rather attractive woman. Who is this? Remnant ponders. After a time, Remnant notices that Old Man Fowler has begun to stomp his way over towards the guy trying to talk to Crystal. What's he up to? Fowler doesn't look to be too pleased, his source of discomfort being either the young man himself and his attempt to talk to Crystal or perhaps even the beer that the man is drinking in the landlord's courtyard. Maybe both, who knows? One thing that Remnant is certain of, is that young Warren has noticed his presence from across the courtyard and is now sticking his tongue out at him, yet again. The young boy periodically scratches at his scalp and looks down at his mother with fearful eyes. He then turns back and frowns, once more sticking his tongue out. The process continues for a bit. In time, the young boy even raises one of his hands to try and extend his middle finger up at Remnant, but quickly spots Fowler in the distance and halts himself before doing so.

** Raging Tiger **
His mind set on a bit of payback, Raging Tiger moves to the front of the basement and peers up outside. Too many people out tonight, the hero thinks as he stares out of the window I better be careful. Raging Tiger then proceeds to crack the door that leads up out of the basement. He suddenly spots an old man standing in one of the apartment's doorways arguing with his wife about why it is that he has taken so long to take the trash out. In one of the old man's hands is reluctantly clutched a sizable bag of trash, the other a can of beer. Dammit! Now left with few opportunities, the brooding hero shuts the door and leaves the old couple to their own affair; making his way to the back of the basement to try and see if any of the windows there might be nice and let him out.
Successful Notice check = Peering up through the basement window to try and find a safe spot to teleport to or even climb up out of, you notice the feet of quite a few people scuffling about in the darkness behind the western building. Several of the feet pause outside the window near some bushes where you're standing and you notice the glint of firearms held in their hands. Note: These figures are approaching from behind the western building.
Stuff spotted is a good way in the distance, roughly 30 ft. away from either side of the building. It has also gone behind the building by now.

Showtime!