Chapter Two: Sunday Sermon

Blood of Heroes - A 3rd Edition Mutants and Masterminds Campaign Setting

Earth, 2021. An alien race known as the Skree has ruled over the planet for the past 20 years, subjecting the local populace to the sadistic whims of their most brutal reign. True heroes have been all but eradicated during the Skree Invasion of 1999-2001. That or they have fallen prey to the Skree's corruptive influence and mind-altering technology. Those heroes that still survive, do so either in reclusive hiding or by battling one another in gladiator-like fashion as the Skree's amusement. Now after twenty years of servitude, a new breed of heroes are slowly starting to emerge. Fed up with the decadence that now surrounds them and fueled by their own personal desires, these young heroes have decided to try and make a stand for humanity, once and for all.

Does this new breed of heroes have what it takes to rise up against the Skree and take back their homeworld? Are they capable of breaking the shackles of oppression that bind them to a life of unwavering servitude? Time shall tell True Believers, to see whether or not these few elite individuals truly possess...the Blood of Heroes.

Join the Ranks of the New Breed Today!

Game Moderated by your everluvin' pal Eanwulf.
Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Re: Chapter Two: Sunday Sermon

Post by Eanwulf » Thu May 09, 2013 2:16 am

Yeah sorry, a year is quite the time to remember things. Esmeralda was going to be the third magician needed to perform the ritual needed to rid Kongo and Ghede of their powers. The other option was going China and visit Mr. Han's 'daughter'. Or at least what used to be her daughter, she died many years ago. And your previous encounter with La Mancha was with some goons, a Casey Jones wannabe named Retro and La Mancha's top Lieutenant, D.Q. - a female Don Quixote type. Since Esmeralda is known for seducing men, one might think D.Q. to be 'alternative' with her lifestyle.
Original Post wrote:OK then, let's cover some basics:

SMM members are taken to jail for attempted homicide, attempted kidnapping, trespassing, vandalism, violation of parole (for some), and whatever other charges the police can think of.

La Mancha members are taken to jail but will only be threatened with such charges, using the allegations as leverage when and if you decide to try and parley with them.

Mr. Han says removing Ghede's and Kongo's powers is doable but only if you are able to perform a ritualistic ceremony in which 3 magic-using characters are involved. Count Tenebrous and Mr. Han are two such characters, the third spot remaining vacant.

Mr. Han also says that the leader of La Mancha is one potential source for a third to the ritual. Allegedly an enchantress, the gang's leader (Esmeralda) has been known to use sorcery in the past. One might be able to try and kill two birds with one stone here, though rumor has it Esmeralda is known to be prone to fits of deluded grandeur and used to getting her way. Dealing with a spoiled princess might be tricky.

Another option would be to try and locate the remains of Mr. Han's last known daughter - Lady X, Sorceress Supreme. Killed during the S'kree invasion, Lady X was shipped back to her native homeland in Korea. Sadly, her body is interred in a place of constant conflict. Somewhat a Reverse Vietnam, the South Koreans have allied themselves with their alien invaders under the promise of conquering their age old rivals.
Sadly, this promise has yet to see the lights of its fruition and the local regions are rifled with constant combat. Still however, if one were able to locate the Lady's remains, she could be used to aid in removing Kongo and Ghede's powers.

And lastly, the local police force seem to be having several issues with amped up or powered supervillains running amonk in their jurisdiction. Though they won't come up and ask directly, one might want to lend a helping hand as they seem to be all but powerless in dealing with them.

Stuff to mull over and consider when choosing your next path(s). By all means feel free to split up if the need arises, etc. and be sure to have fun and enjoy. That's the entire point of playing!

Take it from here as if you were wrapping up making sure all the bad guys are taken care of. Kongo and Ghede still remain contained for the moment, but something needs to be done with them.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Thu May 09, 2013 7:17 am

Jack gives the landlord a surprised look as he debates the pros and cons of the groups plan, but finds himself nodding along.

"Mr. Fowler has some very good points. Very well, I'll accompany the group to see Esmeralda."

thehitcat
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by thehitcat » Thu May 09, 2013 4:25 pm

"Fine" grunts Raging Tiger. He turns to Luke, "Looks like we're taking the sewer route, you might want to make sure your boots are waterproof. I'm ready to go as soon as you and Ookami are ready." Tiger rolls his shoulders and begins to limber up.
Lorayne Thornhallow, Talan Botley, Raik Anar, Brother Lucian, Nazim al Ayser, David Luo, Radache of Pontyrel

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu May 09, 2013 4:39 pm

"I could still transport you to that alley," Nikolai adds, "on our way to see Esmeralda." He seems very keen to avoid having his apartment-mate travel in the sewers.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu May 09, 2013 8:18 pm

Pilgrim stops to think for a moment. "We might want to be careful splitting up. If things go smoothly, it won't be a problem. But since when do things ever go smoothly? We could run into a fight at either place--at Tough Luck's, if his old gang members have taken over his apartment, and at Esmeralda's if she proves unreasonable. We should at least be really careful."
I'm thinking of a saying from my college D&D days. The first rule for players is, Never split up the party. The first rule for the GM is, Always split up the party. :D

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu May 09, 2013 8:40 pm

"I'll agree to careful," Nikolai replies. "But we have a lot to do and they're all things that are better done quickly."
Splitting up a superhero group to accomplish different tasks is iconic in the comics.

ardh05
Level 12
Level 12

Post by ardh05 » Thu May 09, 2013 11:48 pm

Ookami holds up his hands. "I always ready. We go now?"
Actually Muskrat, the FIRST rule of DnD is 'Don't piss off the DM' the not splitting the party one is second
When sneaking up on people, leave your cell phone at home... or at least off.

thehitcat
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by thehitcat » Thu May 09, 2013 11:52 pm

I thought the first rule of D&D was "I go left" but I digress. Splitting the party is fun. I learned this from all my GM buddies who liked to flank with Zombies. :)
Lorayne Thornhallow, Talan Botley, Raik Anar, Brother Lucian, Nazim al Ayser, David Luo, Radache of Pontyrel

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Fri May 10, 2013 2:50 am

"All right then," says Pilgrim. "We can split up. May the Lord watch over us."
I assume I'm going on the visit to Esmeralda, since I'm a "social" character (+12 to Persuasion).

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Fri May 10, 2013 7:51 am

Jack grins broadly.

"Then it's settled. Shall we be off?"
I'm glad you have a high persuasion. I'm just pretty ;)