Chapter 2b: An Enchanting Offer

Blood of Heroes - A 3rd Edition Mutants and Masterminds Campaign Setting

Earth, 2021. An alien race known as the Skree has ruled over the planet for the past 20 years, subjecting the local populace to the sadistic whims of their most brutal reign. True heroes have been all but eradicated during the Skree Invasion of 1999-2001. That or they have fallen prey to the Skree's corruptive influence and mind-altering technology. Those heroes that still survive, do so either in reclusive hiding or by battling one another in gladiator-like fashion as the Skree's amusement. Now after twenty years of servitude, a new breed of heroes are slowly starting to emerge. Fed up with the decadence that now surrounds them and fueled by their own personal desires, these young heroes have decided to try and make a stand for humanity, once and for all.

Does this new breed of heroes have what it takes to rise up against the Skree and take back their homeworld? Are they capable of breaking the shackles of oppression that bind them to a life of unwavering servitude? Time shall tell True Believers, to see whether or not these few elite individuals truly possess...the Blood of Heroes.

Join the Ranks of the New Breed Today!

Game Moderated by your everluvin' pal Eanwulf.
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Chapter 2b: An Enchanting Offer

Post by Muskrat » Sat Jun 08, 2013 1:49 am

Eanwulf, I'm waiting for a reply to my earlier question before I actually post an action.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Post by Eanwulf » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:09 am

Sorry, this weekend has been tricksy to deal with at best ;)

@Muskrat: Yes, Emotion Control (Serenity) would be enough to warrant a Counter Attempt, w/o having to spend a Hero Point. Normal players Ready a Counter Attempt then wait to see what an opponent does, then try to Counter as able. One can also spend their Standard Action to try and Counter an Existing power as well. It would be your Emotion Control vs Esmeralda's Affliction or d20+10 vs d20+14. You could easily spend a Hero Pt as well to reroll if so desired, guaranteeing an 11-20 result +10. Either way, let me post Trogdor's actions real quick, then you can go ahead and post your attempt as colorful as you so desire.

@Trogdor: The Gamemaster's Guide included Knockback, Lethal Damage, and other stuff initially omitted from 2e. I added rules for 3e KB to the OOC Rules Thread for all to view, though am having a hard time trying to figure out just how I'd like to use them. After all, I'd hate to have everyone suddenly start worrying about being sent into orbit or forced to suffer twice as many damage resistance rolls from being pummeled across the ground, through walls, etc. Some Forum threads mention tying KB results to Critical Hit results, as well as high-ended die roll results. I myself like to tie something a bit more appropriate to the threat of being Knocked Back, such as being hit by a shotgun, smacked with a lamp post from some hulking brute, flung about with telekinesis, etc. i.e. "the means justifies the end" rather than vice versa.

As far as wind-based damage is concerned, I feel that it would be an appropriate cause for KB as would being hit by someone with extremely high amounts of enhanced Strength, Growth, etc.

Shame you didn't try to sneak about though, you could have tried to Surprise Attack her! Playing fair however, not doing so might actually keep her from getting madder at the current situation ;)
Lady Esmeralda's temper continues to flare. Surprisingly, the woman pauses briefly to ensure that her birds have indeed managed to make it to safety before continuing to rage some more. No sooner than the woman's gaze falters to the colored birds hopping about the garden however, then Count Tenebrous reappears from the shadows!

By the full powers at my command...

Esmeralda's cries are suddenly replaced by shrieks of fear and shock as a powerful blast of wind buffets her flying form across the courtyard. Dazed and confused by the blast, the woman spins about wildly; coming to an eventual rest hovering in the courtyard some thirty feet or so behind her current position. Still overwhelmed by Tenebrous' spell, the enchanting sorceress struggles to regain her senses.
[Count Tenebrous' Blast, DC 17, d20+10=Natural 1, Critical Miss!]

Spending Hero Point to Re-roll as per Trogdor's PM request.

[Count Tenebrous' Blast, DC 17, d20+10=another damned 1! (Converted to 11)=21, Hit!]

[Lady Esmeralda's Toughness save, DC 25, d20+11*=13, 2nd Degree Failure.]

Dazed, -2 to further damage resists, possible Knockback!

Knockback = 10-10* = Rank 0 Distance or 30 ft. (less if so desired, but no real reason to at the moment)

Since Lady Esmeralda is Flying however, I'm going to rule that the woman is merely buffeted backwards in the air and doesn't suffer any further damage. Especially since she didn't collide with anything along the way.

Lady Esmeralda is knocked back in the air 30 ft. hovering above the bushes in her garden. She is now Dazed and suffers -2 to further damage resists. She is also 90 ft. away from Count Tenebrous at this point and time.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:45 pm

Seeing that Jack is trying to force his way out of the shield of divine power, Pilgrim calls on the Lord's gifts again, reaching out to sooth Jack and fill him with a sense of God's grace, leaving him feeling serene and blissful--and therefore content to rest until the Count's duel with Lady Esmeralda is over.
Standard Action: The Lord's Will. Spend a Hero Point to roll twice.

How is Jack's demon feeling about all this divine power being used on his host? I'm guessing the demon can't be happy, even if it benefits Jack.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:38 pm

Yeah, tossing holy water on the demon at this point and time can literally lead to having yourself one helluva 'demon in a bottle' - cue Complication! One helluva cool scene in the process too I might add!
Struggling to regain her flight and footing, Lady Esmeralda continues to cuss aloud. "Estúpido asistente Nikolai, agitándose como unladylike que en moda. Le mostraré ahora!" The woman continues to do so as Pilgrim once more reaches out to the Lord for guidance. This time, Pilgrim beseeches the Lord to try and calm Jack's mind; freeing it from Lady Esmeralda's control and allowing the man a chance to rest peacefully in the bliss of the Lord's loving embrace. The imprisoned Jack twitches momentarily and then slumps down to one knee; Pilgrim's work having been done for now. Somewhat drained from the ordeal, Pilgrim pauses to smile warmly at both his success and the serene-looking Jack.
[Pilgrim's Counter attempt, d20+10=19.]
[Esmeralda's Counter resist, DC 19, d20+14=22, Success!]

Hero Point spent, rerolling.

[Pilgrim's Counter attempt, d20+10=26.]
[Esmeralda's Counter resist, DC 26, d20+14=25, Failure!]

Successful Counter!

Enter Demonic Complication and a bonus Hero Point to all involved...
The hero's admiration is rudely interrupted when Jack suddenly begins to rise to his feet. The man's eyes now burn with a hellish blue flame as do his hands. Somehow, Pilgrim's prayer has ironically caused Jack's mind to sleep and the demon residing inside of Jack to awaken! Meanwhile, in the land of Shangri-La, Jack's mind roams vast open fields of splendid grass filled with an assortment of spectacular plant life. Alongside the man, beautiful wildlife prances beside him. In time, Jack's mind senses Malphas' usurpation of command and he desperately struggles to begin resuming control of his body. Meanwhile, Jack's inner demon rages against the walls of force imprisoning it!
Meh, you wanted to spend one anyways, should Pilgrim's attempt fail. Done and senses restored. Poor Jack...

Not listing rolls, but think of Malphas' rage as all but sundering the Force Construct containing it.
The walls of Pilgrim's cage sunder and crack, Malphas' powerful blows against them all-but-shattering his invisible prison. Lady Esmeralda gazes on as best she can, her face now growing concerned for everyone's safety. Eventually, Malphas' attempt to free himself subsides, leaving a tired and haggard Jack left standing in the demon's place. Now overly-wrought with saddened pity, Esmeralda raises a weary hand and cries out to the others.

"This duel is over señor Nick! Joo win! Please, see to your friend and make sure that he is OK."

The woman then composes herself as best she can and waits for the others to comply, her feet gently landing upon the ground. For now however, she retains her distance.
Count Tenebrous: 2/3
Pilgrim: 1/2
Remnant 1/2
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:44 pm

Count Tenebrous moves to place himself between Remnant and Esmeralda. "It's over now," he says. "Time to calm down and do what we came here to do - deal respectfully with Esmeralda."

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:20 am

The baleful blue flame recedes from Jack's eyes leaving him standing, though wobbly. He nods to Nick, a sullen look on his face.

"My apologies, I didn't mean to interrupt your duel. There's nothing to fear from me, not at the moment anyway."

Jack gives a feeble smile, but it's obvious that he doesn't feel it.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:49 am

Pilgrim looks on with concern as he sees a demonic force take over Jack's body--that is not at all what he had planned. He tenses, but then calms down when he sees that Jack is back in control. He goes up to him and puts a hand on his shoulder, saying, "Sorry, man. I was just trying to break the enchantment on you--I didn't mean to trigger that. I'll be more careful about how I use the Lord's gifts around you from now on." He looks over at Esmeralda, newly respectful of the woman. He thought her to be untrustworthy, both for doing what he would consider cheating in the duel and taking over a potential ally's mine. But that fact that she was willing to forfeit the duel when she saw someone's safety was at risk raises her standing in his eyes--and Nikolai seems not to think she has done anything underhanded by trying to use Jack in the duel.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:35 pm

Lady Esmeralda waves her hand and several of the chairs and benches uproot themselves to relocate their positions conveniently next to the others. "Please mis amigos," states the sorceress, ", be seated." The attractive woman then flutters closer, her face lost in the admiration of our heroes' compassion towards one another. "Joo are all close?" she inquires softly, "Like family, no?"

Waiting for an answer, Lady Esmeralda seems to be worried if Jack will recover fully or not. She even raises a hand as if wanting to touch the man's haggard face. For now however, she does not, and merely continues to wait for the party's response; her eyes showing great interest and emotion towards the possessed social worker.
Damned demons and witches, they always seem to like each other!

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:35 pm

"We are," Tenebrous says, taking a seat. "Much like you and your people are family. I can see that both our families are well protected." He gestures at the other two heroes. "As Pilgrim said, we've come to see if we can all be stronger against our enemies by declaring that our two families are friends."
As far as her using Jack - she's an enchantress. That's what she does. It's really part and parcel of dueling an enchantress. So he holds no grudges about that.

veritas
Level 12
Level 12

Post by veritas » Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:26 am

Jack smiles at Esmeralda's concern.

"I'll be fine, miss. I'm just a bit tired is all. The lot of us have grown fairly close over the last few weeks. It's kind of a funny story, we were all living in the same apartment complex for a while without realizing each others' talents."