Chapter 1: A Means to an End

Brennor's RPG Corner has never seen a more wretched hive of scum and villainy! In our beta test of the new Fantasy Flight RPG, 'Star Wars: Edge of the Empire,' our heroes are just as often of the 'anti' variety: heart hearted smugglers, smooth scoundrels, and ruthless bounty hunters try to make ends meet and often find themselves struggling against authority in this fast-paced RPG set in the Star Wars Universe.

Run by the GM Darth Bo
Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Darth Bo
User Class: Sith Lord

Re: Chapter 1: A Means to an End

Post by Bo » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:14 pm

Glitch hides behind some barrels of who-knows-what and peeks his head around the corner. Shooting with his blaster as foes erupt from the far side of the warehouse, he misses. A slicer and not a fighter, his shot causes him to slam into the side of one of the barrels. It spills on him and immediately begins to cloud his vision...
Attack long range. Fail + 3 threat! Next check has setback dice added! Do you guys haven any ideas about how to convey ranges on maps?
Szara slides into cover behind one of the crates. She glances upwards, seeing the Devaronion on the catwalk and takes a shot. However, he shot goes wide.
Poll was thus: 3 difficulty (long range), 1 ability and 2 proficiency, 1 setback (being up on catwalk at weird angle to attack) - Result: Everything completely cancelled out. No threat and no advantage but did not hit.
As Jaime looks into the crate, just before the attack, he sees vibroaxes and blaster-rifles filling the crate. However, he doesn't have time to grab anything before the fighting erupts. What he does notice, however (and quite incidentally, is a control panel of some sort at the base of the westermost stairs of the warehouse floord.
Perception: Fail but 2 advantage: You notice something you didn't necessarily intend to but that could help your party. Tab- you sill have your turn left...
Jaime....
More than other systems, this system really relies on players being creative and coming up with solutions to problems. I'm not going to draw in details to maps. That's up to you! If you want to search around for stuff, just write it in your post and I'll roll the dice. If you want to do something cool, just post it and the dice will follow. In the learner game I'll try and explain what's going on as much as I can, but when the real book comes out things can basically happen without posted rolls by the GM at all.
~Bo~

Donan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Donan » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:27 pm

The large reptile hisses in annoyance, the items in the crate of immerse interest to him and he doesn't like the interruption. He drws his own weapon, opening fire on the Devaronian as he moves into cover behind one of the shelves. "You're in my way, runt!"

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:28 pm

He's on a catwalk right? As far as I imagine it it's made of gratings...
Let's shoot the floor away below his feet and letting the ground do the damage. :twisted:
Or around his feet so he has a hard time getting away.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Bo » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:39 am

Jaime takes cover behind the crates and, seeing the Devaronian up on the catwalk fires his heavy blaster rifle. However, his shots go wide and miss the target.
Dice pool: 1 ability, 2 proficiency, 3 difficulty (long range), 1 setback (up on catwalk), Result: Miss, 1 advantage (Jaime recovers 1 strain)
The Devaronin, seeing the Trandoshan target him, growls, "Prepare to die!" he levels his heavy blaster pistol over the railing of the catwalk, aiming, and fires. However, his shot slams into the crates behind which Jaime is taking cover, not harming him. The Devaroning slights a meter to his ride and crouches behind a workbench.
Dice Pool (I'm going to keep highlighting these for learning purposes): 1 ability, 2 proficiency (I used a Dark Destiny point to add an ability since @ base the arms dealer would use 2 proficiency for his attack), 3 difficulty (long range), 2 boost (aim, advantage from being on high ground), 1 setback (Jaime behind cover): Result: Miss, 1 advantage (used to put Devaronian behind cover)
The Aqualish thugs move forward, firing at Szara as they do, staying out in the open. The female can feel the blaster bolts slam into the packing crate nearbye, turning it into splinters, but she's not harmed...
Maneuver: Move to medium range. Action: Attack. Dice Pool: 1 ability, 1 proficiency, 2 difficulty, 1 setback (Szara in cover). Result: Miss.
Jaxon stays near glitch, continuing to attend to any further bleeding. The slicer continues to feel stronger as his pain is relieved.
Maneuver: Stay near Glitch. Action: Medicine. Dice pool: 1 abil, 1 prof, 1 difficulty (wounds = half total HP). Result: 2 success (+1 from surgeon talent) = 3 HP gained. Glitch now only has 3 wounds
Szara, Glitch, and Jaime...
Sure. You can shoot the catwalk and have it collapse. That would require a destiny point, though. Remember that destiny points in this game go back and forth from GM to the PCs and they aren't to be hoarded like in Saga Edition. You can use them to have cool things happen or to upgrade dice, etc... The balance of the Force right now is 7 Light 1 Dark.. so you guys should spend some!
Szara: Cover, Medium range to Thugs, long to Devaronian
Jamie: Same
Glitch: Same (setback to next roll because of previous threats)
Jaxon: Same but not in cover
Thugs: Not in cover
Devaronian: In cover, advantageous positioning
~Bo~

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:20 am

Okay. So if no one objects I'd just spend a Destiny Point then. Although I would not do so if anyone does not want to do that.
"This is really a lot more difficult than I expected," Szara comments. "I think Jamie is right." But does not elaborate on it.
She moves a bit from cover, raising her heavy blaster pistol and puts a few bolts into the cover the Devaronian does not think about. The one below his feet.
Do I declare the expenditure now?

Maneuver: Aim.
Action: Shoot Devarionan's cover.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi

Post by Shurijo » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:24 am

I'm perfectly fine with it, we have a lot of them :)
Glitch rubs his eyes with his sleeve hoping to wipe away what ever sprayed into his face from the barrels. "Arrgh." He says as he finishes wiping his eyes.

Hoping to keep the Aqualish thugs away from the others, Glitch continues to provide cover fire harassing the thugs on the opposite side of the room.
Maneuver: Aim
Action: Shoot Aqualish thug
Pass any boosts to next player/NPC

Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Bo » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:28 am

Szara aims with her pistol, being completely in the moment. She is one with her weapon, her breathing, and sets her sights on the catwalk beneath the Devaronian's feet. She pullse the trigger.

Wham! Her bolt slams into the catwalk at the arms dealer's feet and melts a hole in it just big enough to weaken the catwalk's structure. There is screeching and creaking and then the catwalk gives way, tilting and spilling the Devaronian to the ground!
Balance of the Force: Now 6 Light, 2 Dark. Dice Pool: 1 proficiency dice (1 upgraded because of the destiny point), 3 difficulty dice (long range), 1 boost dice (aim), 1 setback (inherent trickiness of the maneuver). Result 3 successes, 1 threat. Will use threat to slightly negate damage done by the fall.

Fall damage: 10-3 (soak) = 7 - 1 (threat) =6. Arms dealer now at 6/12 wounds
Glitch....
~Bo~

Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Bo » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:49 am

.. aims and fires. His shot goes wide but the slicer's uncanny luck is not to be discounted. His shot hits the pile of crates nearest the thugs and they topple in front of them. The thugs are immediately made to fend the crates off and are unable to counterattack....
Dice Pool: 2 ability, 1 boost (aim), 2 difficulty (medium range); Result: miss, but 4 advantage! I added the use of that in at my discretion. Tying up the goons for a round is a real treat.
Jaxon ducks behind cover next to Glitch. He raises his voice so as to be heard and to inspire the rest of his team to similar feats of heroics. "Nice shooting, Glitch." He yells so the Devaronian can hear. "These sons of Banthas don't know they've messed with the most famous, ruthless, and cruel gang of villains on the planet.... US!!!"

Glitch, Jaime, and Szara feel their spirits bolstered by Jaxon's words and fight even harder!
Maneuver: Take cover. Action: Improved Inspiring Rhetoric, Use Destiny point to upgrade a dice!; Dice Pool: 3 proficiency, 2 difficulty; Result: 2 success, 1 advantage and a triumph!!; Effect: Jamie recovers 1 strain. Typically, I'd also be able to choose 2 allies to give a boost die to rolls for 2 rounds (my leadership rank). However, I'm going to say because of the triumph our whole team gets boost die added for two rounds!
The Aqualish thugs continue to fumble in the crates.
The Devaronian, however, is angry! He moves towards Szara and fires. He moves as he continues to fire and, though he misses the Chiss, he's able to get himself to cover with the running attack.
Maneuver: Move to medium range. Action: Fire at Szara. Dice Pool: 2 proficiency, 2 difficulty, 1 setback (Szara in cover); Result: Miss but 3 advantages. Use to take extra maneuver. Devaronian runs to cover!
Jaime...
Balance of the Force: 5L/3D
Thugs: Medium Range (no cover)
Devaronian: Medium Range (cover)
Glitch: Cover, boost x 2 rounds
Jaime: Cover, boost x 2 rounds
Jaxon: Cover, boost x 2 rounds
Szara: Cover, boost x 2 rounds
~Bo~

Donan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Donan » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:10 am

Where is the Devaronian in relation to Jaime?

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:10 am

There, I'd presume:
Bo wrote: Thugs: Medium Range (no cover)
Devaronian: Medium Range (cover)