Chapter 1: A Means to an End

Brennor's RPG Corner has never seen a more wretched hive of scum and villainy! In our beta test of the new Fantasy Flight RPG, 'Star Wars: Edge of the Empire,' our heroes are just as often of the 'anti' variety: heart hearted smugglers, smooth scoundrels, and ruthless bounty hunters try to make ends meet and often find themselves struggling against authority in this fast-paced RPG set in the Star Wars Universe.

Run by the GM Darth Bo
Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Re: Chapter 1: A Means to an End

Post by Hayabusa » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:55 pm

"I understand," is all Szara replies to Jaxon about his plan. The Chiss doesn't have a mind for dealing business but is there for something else: to put the threats to the crew out of commission. There's no surprise on the Chiss's face when Maresela shows himself and she lets their de facto leader pick up the greeting.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Darth Bo
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Bo » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:33 pm

The adventurers walk out of the turbolift and greet the Chadra-fan. Jaxon can't help but try to hide - rather unsuccessfully - his surprised look.

Marsela smiles. "Ah," he says. "You were expecting someone... talker?" Another grin and a twitching movement of Wayans's bat-like ears. "The projection of real power has nothing to do with one's physical stature. You should know that."

"Of course, sir," Jaxon says. He continues. "We've dealt with your problem in the sublevels and the stolen weapons should again be in your control in no time."

Marsela replies. "Good.. but those whelps would have been dealt with regardless. It did serve as a handy test for you and your...." he looks around Jaxon. "... gang." He stands and walks out from behind the desk.

"And you will be paid, but now I have another, more lucrative offer for you.. it will take you to Correllia..."

Jaxon's attention is fixed on the Chadra-Fan. He looks a little nervous, as if weighing his options, and then asks if he can speak to Marsela in Private. "Of course," says the bat-like creature.

The two of them step aside.....
~Bo~

Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Bo » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:37 pm

.... Jaxon returns after several minutes of discussing something with Marsela from across the room. The Chadra-fan departs through a door opposite the turbolift.

"Well, fellas... I've negotiated a great deal for us that will make us rich.. but it's going to require some short term sacrifice." He continues. "We'll forego our payment for this most recent job in return for a cut of his Kolto action here on Mannaan and double the payoff for the Correllian job.. which is a simple.. erm.. task of ... erasing one of his competitors. It's a great deal. Fantastic, actually. We should all be excited and proud. We've worked together well as a team so far and it's going to pay off soon in a big way."

It's unclear if Jaxon is hiding something...
rolls coming up, charm vs cools...
~Bo~

Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Bo » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:51 pm

So this is an opposed check. I check Jaxon's Charm vs Szara's, Jamie's, and Glitch's cool. The difficulty is determined by Jaxon's Charm. in this case, his charm usually would be 1 green and 2 yellow (1 ability and 2 proficiency), but we convert them to 1 difficulty and 2 challenge (1 purple, 2 red). We roll those against Jamie, Szara, and Glitche's cools, individually. Make sense? Here are the results:

Szara: 1 succ, 2 threat, 1 despair
Jamie: 1 failure
Glitch: 1 despair
While the adventurers may wonder why Jaxon has made a unilateral decision to forego payment, his manner of speaking is so convincing - coupled with the promise of a payoff at the end, that Szara, Glitch, and Jamie can't really see any sound arguments against it.

Glitch and Szara, however, may have serious reservations about the Chadra-Fan and his motivations...
Wow.. so it's hard to figure what a despair would be on a roll like this. any ideas?

For OOC knowledge, Jaxon's family is stuck on Correllia and Jaxon took the money from this job in an effort to get them off planet and cut a deal for less money later on if Marsela could help Jax's family.
~Bo~

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:20 pm

NOt really, sorry. Maybe a very, very bad feeling?
"Sir, this does not sound good. We're going to play hitmen for the Chadra-fan," Szara says about the deal. "We're only going to make a lot more enemies that way and even if the payoff in the long run is better, we're going to mingle with some internal turf-war which is only bad for us."

Donan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Donan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:07 pm

Jamie snorts, eyes bright. "Quit whining blue skin! This is going to get us some good coin, and let us have some real fun!

Even if I feel like eating our new boss..."

Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Bo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:58 pm

I guess that's the reason for a beta test. I could post to a forum and get some opinions about things.
Jaxon looks at Szara and Jaime. "I know you probably don't share our Trandoshan friend's... proclivities... but he's right: We can get our hands on some decent creds this way. Imagine how nice it will be when we can create our own future and not have to flit around the known galaxy as errand boys?" He does his best to add a charming smile. "Besides... nothing comes without risk... especially wealth!"
we'll see if glitch wants to put in his two cents and then be on our way
~Bo~

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi

Post by Shurijo » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:47 pm

Glitch nods at the statements. "I also think this is a bad idea. I'd like to get get going because I hate to take up so much of our friends's time and I hate staying around in one place for too long, but this just smells bad."
Last edited by Shurijo on Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:15 pm

Shurijo, as afar as I can tell:

"Glitch and Szara, however, may have serious reservations about the Chadra-Fan and his motivations..."

Doesn't seem to fit...