OOC Discussion

The OOC forum for the Star Wars Edge of the Empire game.
Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Re: OOC Discussion

Post by Hayabusa » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:02 am

Wounds is how much damage you can take.
Soak is how much damage you receive gets soaked up, negated, basically your armor that lowers the damage you take.
And strain... I'm not sure about that. I -think- that is how much you can receive, not damage but some actions put strain on your character, until you drop unconscious or something. I am absolutely unclear about strain and its effect during combat. Sorry.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:03 am

My understanding of Strain is like "mental hit points". If you played Marvel Supers, then it's like the Psyche, Intuition, and Reason pool. :)

Week 4 beta errata posted
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_ ... ?eidn=3591

The biggest news is that Edge of the Empire will be doing away with the limitation on three specializations. Instead, player characters can purchase as many specializations as they want. However, the cost for each additional specialization increases, based on how many specializations the character will possess with the latest purchase. Specializations outside of one's chosen career cost more than specializations within one's chosen career. The pricing for out-of-career skills is also changing, so that the cost for ranks in an out-of-career skill and a new out-of-career specialization will be the same.

That's the single biggest change, but it's far from the only one. Droid player characters see a change to some of their special abilities, as do Gands. We've also introduced some additional weapon changes as we continue to review the equipment and evaluate feedback from last week.

Talents see a number of changes. Most of these are made to clarify specific talents, although some of them are made as the start of our process to evaluate and revise player character and non-player character defensive options. There are also some changes to combat rules, although most of these are made to clarify existing rules, rather than change them wholesale.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:13 am

Shurijo wrote:Updated links for week 6 updates. Removed weeks 1-4 since the newest errata contains all previous weeks updates.

Week 5 major changes:
First, we've eliminated the Surveillance skill. All of the tasks handled by the Surveillance skill can be covered by one of three other skills: Computers, Perception, or Stealth. Since Surveillance is removed as a skill, the various careers and specializations that included Surveillance as a career skill gain new career skills instead.

The second major change is the introduction of the Adversary talent. The Adversary talent is a unique ranked talent that is only given to NPCs. It's designed to replace all other defensive abilities for NPCs, and allows GMs to give mid or high-level adversaries defensive buffs without having to actively track a wide variety of abilities.

Week 6 Major Changes

his week's update focuses on Chapter 7: Starships and Vehicles. We have a fair number of modifications to this chapter that we've been looking at for awhile. One is the introduction of more actions that characters may perform aboard a starship. Our goal with these actions is to present options for a wide range of characters participating in encounters involving vehicles or starships, but not limit them to these actions. In fact, these actions all fall under the umbrella of the “Perform a Skill Check” or “Use Complex Equipment” actions found on page 155. We've also added in Chase rules, and detailed how one can use minion rules with starships or vehicles to speed up and streamline combat.
Interesting. Because my character career does have Surveillance and I chose it. But yes, I was a bit puzzled by it anyway. I got Coerce instead. Nice.

Can't say much about starships though.

Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Darth Bo

Post by Bo » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:35 pm

I've posted on the shoutbox, but just wanted to let everyone know that time is still extremely tight for me. hopefully opening up soon. sorry about lull
~Bo~

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:21 pm

Not a problem. Although I am waiting eagerly to continue.

Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Bo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:24 am

Sure you're tired of this, but checking in briefly. PtH is not off my radar!
I think when anyone says they have NO time, they are lying. I haven't had time and mental resources , however, to post on my games. Maybe over Thanksgiving there will be some posts!
~Bo~

Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Bo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:18 pm

It looks like FFG is coming along in making revisions. They've released the final version of a 'Beginner's Game' that is a pre-gen advanture and has a 'Beginner's Game' rulebook with it.

Check out the article here

However, it looks like the main core rulebook is still slated for sprain 2013. I'd suggest, since we're already playing a 'beginner's game' on our own, we just wait until the main book comes out to purchase anything.
~Bo~

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi

Post by Shurijo » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:28 pm

Sounds okay with me. I'll probably definitely pick up this book. :)

I'm hoping the rules will make a little better sense to me once I have a hard copy to flip through.

I'd like to finish up our beginners game around the time of the books go on sell. Then we can revamp, restart, or continue our characters and adventures.

It's been a while, so I already need to re-read the quick start rules we have posted for our current SW game.

What's your outlook on the 2 SW games for next year? At one point you talked about (I think) ending/coming to close on PtH. I'm also curious about the new SW game.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:56 am

Just asking randomly here.

Shurijo might know, or Tet. How would this version work for a Mass Effect redo. We already run the ME game using the Star War Saga, wonder how this might work.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:21 am

But if you were to ask me, then I'd say very badly. It is very, VERY class-heavy. It's a nice and streamlined system but heavily relient on the classes. Check some of them out here: http://brennor.dyndns.org/rpg/Forums/vi ... =6358.html
And I'm not even speaking about Tech or Biotic powers because there's no PDF copy out there and none here is playing a Force user. Currently the whole Edge of the Empire is still in Beta too with weekly updates.