OOC Discussion

The OOC forum for the Star Wars Edge of the Empire game.
Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Darth Bo
User Class: Sith Lord

Re: OOC Discussion

Post by Bo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:43 am

I'd like to finish up our beginners game around the time of the books go on sell. Then we can revamp, restart, or continue our characters and adventures.
Sounds good to me. I like the system but, like you, I find running a game when just I have the book on hand is kinda confusing.
What's your outlook on the 2 SW games for next year? At one point you talked about (I think) ending/coming to close on PtH. I'm also curious about the new SW game.
PbP games move at a snail's pace so I'm guessing PtH may still go on through much of 2013. I'd like to keep the pace brisk, though, and ending it sooner if it happens organically would be fine by me. A group of level 8-10 heroes in Saga Edition is actually a force to be reckoned with.

All that being said, there is much story to be told for our adventurers and the character development should kick into high gear soon
~Bo~

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi

Post by Shurijo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:10 pm

Yeah, I'd agree with Haya. The new SW will be coming out in 3 books. The first in 2013 will focus on smugglers/thieves, etc. The second will be more Rebel/military/soldier focused in 2014, and the last will be Force focused in 2015. So for your ME game, you'd probably need to see how all three of them work together.

That being said. From the quick readings that I've done, and from my spotty memory (I need to freshen up on it again), overall, I like the system. I think it would play better over tabletop than pbp (due to the dice mechanics), but I like the way it's set up.

As for being 'very-class heavy' (Haya said), I think it's still somewhat class based, but... I think it's much easier to multi-class than d20. There's still penalties for multi-classing, so you end up with being better in one class (or at least more efficient in using points) than others.

I do like how the classes/professions are grouped and skills are laid out. It's really easy to do char gen - can be done in minutes compared to hours in d20. The dice is still a bit confusing. That being said, I think this system is more of a "story" system than a "dice" system. With great and imaginative PCs and GM, it will be a blast.

If you can't get a look at the book when it's released, I'll try to bring it down for BrenCon next year (if/when I get it).

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:20 pm

Sounds like its not ideal for porting to another theme. Thanks guys.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi

Post by Shurijo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:26 pm

Vardaen wrote:Sounds like its not ideal for porting to another theme. Thanks guys.
Maybe in 3-4 years :)

Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Bo » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:21 pm

If anyone has a commute, likes to listen to audio during exercise, or insomnia, I recommend checking out the Order 66 podcast.

They used to cover solely Saga Edition but now have switched it up to cover Edge of the Empire. First two episodes cover dice mechanics (with special guest game developer) and then live play (with players new to the system so it REALLY helps the learning curve)

Next episode Sam Witwer (voice of Starkiller in Force Unleashed and Darth Maul in Clone Wars (yes, he's a gamer!))

If you have an Apple device, just search for Order 66 in ITunes. If you don't, you can DL it from d20radio.com

Cheers!
Bo
~Bo~

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:16 pm

With the other game running again, what about this one?
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Bo » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:36 pm

It will continue. Time is just the limiting factor for me.
Plus, this combat got to be a little lame.
I think we still will need to use a map :)

Finally, I think there have been a tone of changes to the EotE rule so far that we aren't aware of.
~Bo~

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:23 am

Yeah, the last past actions we're just "shoot and miss". Do you want to skip it or check everything again before continuing.

Bo
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Bo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:39 am

I might just kind of fast forward and then regroup since we're learning what does and doesn't work for this system. Do you guys have the dice rolling app?
~Bo~

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:08 am

Don't have the app, no.