Character Chatter

The forum for all things OOC for the Arabyan Nights game.
Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Character Chatter

Post by Grimbold » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:28 pm

Discuss your character concepts here. Have a look at the chargen information thread first please.

Note that you all should have some reason to serve the Mihr of Nedshef.

Questions? Ideas?
Last edited by Grimbold on Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Charater Chatter

Post by TetNak » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:01 am

Although I have no real notion of the setting at all, I'm thinking of playing an anti-hero type. Something along the lines of an older brute, was retired with plenty of wealth, but lost it all gambling. Now, he's forced to so to work again, something like that.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:02 am

You might come from the Mihr's entourage, an ex-officer, or noble or merc, depending whether you want to focus on the brute or on the wealth aspect. You might owe him money. (Just some suggestions).

thehitcat
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by thehitcat » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:29 pm

Sorry didn't mean to check out as much as I did. I was thinking about playing a Eunuch strongman. Someone who guarded the Mihr and his family. Think very strong, very loyal not terribly bright. Probably would take "In Love with the Princess" because he has guarded her and her father since she was a baby. Thoughts?

I was also toying with ideas re:Cartographer/Scribe an intelligent man who works with the language but detests magic as opposed to science or even further a Dilettante/Smuggler a wealthy rogue who keeps up appearances by bankrolling a smuggling ring and even participates occasionally for the thrill a charisma based build.
Lorayne Thornhallow, Talan Botley, Raik Anar, Brother Lucian, Nazim al Ayser, David Luo, Radache of Pontyrel

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:00 pm

Nice. THough I dunno if two "brutes" can beat the scenario... I am not sure if Bren and Worldeater will join us. Perhaps we will be able to persuade someone. But with two rather active players, it might work.
If we stay at two players, thehitcat, you might want to opt for the smuggler/Fellowship/Dilettante guy.

I have not yet fully detailed out the world, so Tet, if you want to be the retired captain of the cavalry, then yes, Nedshef will have a cavalry, even if I might have thought before that they don't. What I mean is you can have a word in what this world is like...

WorldEater
Level 3
Level 3

Post by WorldEater » Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:04 pm

Sorry, I'm still here. Typing this on my phone (work blocks the site), and the small screen leaves much to be desired.

I was thinking of an outlaw/thief, spared from execution by the Mihr. In exchange for his life, the thief pledges fealty to the Mihr.

For this concept to work, the character would have to have some sort of talent that would save him from hanging. If that doesn't work with the plot, I can come up with something else.

I am generally familiar with WFRP but no longer have the book, so I'll need some help with the mechanics of chargen.

WorldEater

thehitcat
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by thehitcat » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:06 pm

I'm OK with the Dilettante/Smugger gentleman. Additional thoughts...A minor lord tied to the court of the Mihr. He's known as effective if shady arm of the Mihr's economic and foreign policy. He's well known at court if not well loved. He has many and varied contacts and the ability to travel even places that are otherwise verboten. I'll start pulling him together and send you questions Grim. Let me know if any of this is too much or undoable and I'll try to change course.
Lorayne Thornhallow, Talan Botley, Raik Anar, Brother Lucian, Nazim al Ayser, David Luo, Radache of Pontyrel

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:23 am

hitcat: Yep, that would work, no problems there. We could add some talents you might want to take like "Peer: XY", that would be definitley ok.

Worldeater: No problem. You could take Thief Outlaw or Ex-Convict or somethign thataway. Perhaps you were spared by the princess? No problem, if you give me the general outline, I can do the maths.

Tet, your ideas work, I think. Tell me more...

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:50 pm

I'm think this: What about an aging hero of the land, who slowly just faded from public life or doing anything spectacular. His private life fell to hell. Lots of bad stuff happened, such as, massive gambling debts, wife leaving him or died, children died, etc. I need to know how common divorce is before I settle on this. Could be, his wife had multiple miscarriages, or the kids were dying in infancy, then finally she didn't make it out of the birthing bed and died herself. That caused him to lose himself in drink and gambling, bankrupting him. Perhaps the bossman felt sorry for him and took him into his service. His wife could have been someone important, etc.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:48 pm

Tet: Sounds good. Use whatever story you like best. You can decide how common divorce is and I will include it in the setting. Probably high ranking people or heroes will get away with it more often than common folk (think Henry 8th). But you get to decide what background you like best.

Aging hero: We need some explanation why he is only "first level". Perhaps he has lost his reactions and martial skill due to drinking and depression and they will come back in time (with XP!) if he renounces drink? Would that work?

Why is he a hero: Some other background ideas: He could have saved the princess from slavers/assasins when she was a baby. He could have fought back forces of Alaman-followers, or Brothers of Shadow. He could have saved a caravan from an Asad Tribesmen attack. He could have been a general or something... Any other ideas?