Prologue: Now Accepting Applications

It's been twelve long years since "The Year of the Comet" and Japan was forced to issue orders that would withdraw their troops from the surrounding regions of their Empire in order to help rebuild their devastated Homeland. Now, over a decade after the "Ring of Fire" incident later, the Land of the Rising Sun seeks to regain its former foothold in these lands long since abandoned by any serious forms of a military presence. Among the Corporations seeking to gain favor in their Emperor's eyes, Mitsuhama, Renraku, & Shiawase stand out as the three most prominent ones to do so. Having already slipped in favor in the past, Renraku Corporation has vowed to do so with fervency and once more reclaim their Number One position amongst the others. Enter our Players and Game.

House of the Rising Sun is a Shadowrun campaign set in the year 2073. Players assume the roles of a band of runners that is hired on under Renraku Retainer. Their goal, that of reestablishing and maintaining a proper foothold in their Employer''s formerly dominated territories outside Japan. Missions will include: Lots of Wetwork, Political Espionage, an occasional Milk Run or two, as well as Lots and Lots of Para-military Activity. After all, in an Imperial Empire filled with nothing but Blood-thirsty Corporate Cutthroats and Sneaky Underhanded Backstabbers, there can really only be one House that truly rises to the occasion and outshines the rest. Can you help Renraku become the House? Join the ranks of the House of the Rising Sun today!

Game run by Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto himself, Eanwulf.
Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Re: Prologue: Now Accepting Applications

Post by Eanwulf » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:42 pm

"I'm sure you will..." retorts Marika, once again smiling wickedly. The expression is eerie and its meaning not entirely discernible. "As for casualties, they're to be expected."
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:56 pm

Simple jobs rarely turn out to be so simple, Leviathan thinks, but says nothing about that aloud. Instead, he says,"It is not the way of a true samurai to cause needless casualties," clearly thinking of himself as such a true samurai. "If I am to take this job, you must allow us to find some way to give the staff sufficient warning that they can evacuate the platform. After the charges are set, when it is too late for to undo the damage. Anonymously, so they have no idea who is responsible. Ideally, we make it look like an accident, not sabotage." He pauses, then says, "Also, I would know, is this rig already in operation? I am no great environmentalist, but I would prefer not to cause an oil spill if it can be avoided. After all, your client wishes to conserve the earth's resources.

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic
Title: Advocatus Diaboli
User Class: Alliance Officer

Post by Hayabusa » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:02 pm

"Yes, they will," Point replies but doesn't add anything else. She knows her views will conflict with Leviathan's, probably a lot, but she won't drag it out here and now. In any case, Point's set of mind is free of any moral difficulties to any casualties. Usually she prefers to avoid casualties whenever possible but sinking a huge complex that's connected to a two hour time limit... "We'll have to look for a solution to it if... when we can, Leviathan," she adds thinking that looking after civilians is something that shouldn't be brought up right here and now in front of this important person.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:11 am

"A warning could compromise the mission" Lyssa commented, this was warfare in her opinion, and there were always collateral damage then. "Though things such as these tends to have evacuation procedures, taking advantage of those might save most of the crew and allow us easier access."

"But my first rule is no needless risk, and warning the crew for the sake of giving them a better chance of getting is such a thing. On the other hand, corps are less eager to pursue runners that doesn't kill their employees, though I have a feeling that the pension fund payouts to the next of kin will not be noticed on their bottom line next to the losses incurred by a destroyed oil rig"

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:32 am

"Yes, a clearer solution is likely to present itself as we arrive," says Leviathan. "And I want to be clear--I know casualties happen in war. But in The Art of War, Sunzi counseled that casualties should be kept to a minimum. We may be fighting different types of war today, but some of the principles of good warfare remain constant." He stops himself, knowing that he is about to launch into a philosophical discussion neither his fellow shadowrunners nor Marika is likely to be find interesting at this point. Instead, he just folds his hands and awaits their host's response.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:12 am

Marika's eyes blink profusely. The woman then turns towards Slim and says something in what appears to be some manner of Sperethiel (elven). The elf seems to grow restless and even more nervous at the woman's comments. In time, she merely returns her gaze to the party and smirks; replying.

"Your compassion is touching; though entirely unnecessary in such an endeavor. Our client has weighed in such factors already. The first explosion shall render the facility's control center inoperative. Security protocols will then initiate and instruct the workers to try and repair said center. Secondary and tertiary explosions thereafter will cause such efforts to become quite futile. Automated systems will then advise the remaining workers to seek the safety of nearby escape pods as the structure erodes further. As I said previously, causalities are to be expected. The extent of them due to one's stubbornness or stupidity is none of our concern; merely the destruction of Leviathan itself."

Marika's last comments come across quite vague, as if they were either meant to describe the workers themselves or possibly even the runners. Either way, the Asian women continues to smirk and wait for further response.
PM me if you speak Sperethiel (elven) please.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:47 am

"Like you said, this is none of our concern," Point says. She does not like the idea that some "creed" is going to keep them from making a bad impression with Marika, seeing Slim's rising nervousness.
I got First Impression...

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:17 am

Leviathan bows respectfully to Marika. "Very good. Such warning systems for the workers are enough for me. I am happy to he be working for such a forward-thinking client." He is actually skeptical about her claims--she may have made them on the spot to soothe his concerns--but he will investigate that later, perhaps with Lyssa's help if she is willing. If worst comes to worst, he will improvise while they are on the mission.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:47 am

Marika stares long and hard at Leviathan, gradually allowing herself to leak forth one brief moment of genuine emotion.

"Your sense of chivalry is...admirable." the woman comments softly with a smile, quickly turning her attentions to the rest of the group. "But I digress. Do we all have an agreement then?"

Hayabusa
Level 25 Mythic
Level 25 Mythic

Post by Hayabusa » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:15 am

"You had me the moment you called Slim," Point says. She's made it clear ever since the meeting with the elf and dwarf the past night that this is a job she really wanted to do; working for someone who had a good connection and mighty hand back to Japan.