Mission One: Safety Violation

It's been twelve long years since "The Year of the Comet" and Japan was forced to issue orders that would withdraw their troops from the surrounding regions of their Empire in order to help rebuild their devastated Homeland. Now, over a decade after the "Ring of Fire" incident later, the Land of the Rising Sun seeks to regain its former foothold in these lands long since abandoned by any serious forms of a military presence. Among the Corporations seeking to gain favor in their Emperor's eyes, Mitsuhama, Renraku, & Shiawase stand out as the three most prominent ones to do so. Having already slipped in favor in the past, Renraku Corporation has vowed to do so with fervency and once more reclaim their Number One position amongst the others. Enter our Players and Game.

House of the Rising Sun is a Shadowrun campaign set in the year 2073. Players assume the roles of a band of runners that is hired on under Renraku Retainer. Their goal, that of reestablishing and maintaining a proper foothold in their Employer''s formerly dominated territories outside Japan. Missions will include: Lots of Wetwork, Political Espionage, an occasional Milk Run or two, as well as Lots and Lots of Para-military Activity. After all, in an Imperial Empire filled with nothing but Blood-thirsty Corporate Cutthroats and Sneaky Underhanded Backstabbers, there can really only be one House that truly rises to the occasion and outshines the rest. Can you help Renraku become the House? Join the ranks of the House of the Rising Sun today!

Game run by Domo Arigato Mr. Roboto himself, Eanwulf.
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Heading Out - Pt I

Post by TetNak » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:17 pm

With a nod, Gun says to Crow, "They call me Gun, bullet slinger." He shrugs, more to himself than the others, not really knowing what else to say. "I typically wouldn't be caught dead in such an outfit, but, well, I guess that's the nature of this gig." Gun's self professed style seems strange, but the man must have felt it was important enough for Crow to know he's not this bad of a dresser.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Heading Out - Pt I

Post by Trogdor » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:02 pm

"Pleasure to meet you, Leviathan, Lyssa, Gun," Crow replies with a nod to all three. "And I know what you mean about the suit," he adds to Gun. Then he raises an inquiring eyebrow. "You want me to fix the tailoring on it, at least?" The mage wiggles his fingers to show that he doesn't mean with a needle and thread. "That's a trick I've picked up. I used it to fix mine." Looking, Gun can see that Crow's coveralls fit better than the others do, almost as if they were tailored for him.
Crow has the Fashion spell:
This spell instantly tailors clothing, transforming garments into any fashion the caster wishes. The hits measure the degree of style in the tailoring. The spell cannot change clothing's protective value, only its cut, color, pattern, and fit. The weight of the clothing does not change, and it must cover approximately the same amount of area (a jump suit can't be converted into a bikini). The caster must touch the clothing.
Crow has 13 dice in his Spellcasting pool, so he can take 3 hits for 12 dice. That should be enough to fix the tailoring. :-)

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite
Title: The Grey
User Class: Berserker

Heading Out - Pt II

Post by Eanwulf » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:01 am

Friday March 2nd, 2073
Out in the Indian Ocean
Roughly 1:00 am
Finally Aboard the Leviathan

Having met Crow, their new runner, the crew finishes up what they can before heading out to the rig. Eventually, the runners climb aboard an eight-man turbochopper piloted by a no-personality rent-a-jockey. The chopper lifts off and two uneventful hours later, the runners can see the glimmering orange sodium lights of the Leviathan. The flight there is short and uneventful. Other than the city, the runners have a view of biogas refineries, and then the surrounding vast outback of wasteland which is most of Australia, as well as the repetitive scenery of choppy waves which is the Indian Ocean.
The rig is huge, and the sheer size of it – apparent even at night – is mind-boggling. Even more so is the runners' mission itself, to blow it up into unrecognizable fragments with but a few kilos of explosives carried in their bags.
Landing on the small pad in the windy Indian Ocean is not that simple. The turbochopper's first attempt is blown hard at the last second. The chopper is swept off the rig and down towards the sea, throwing the party around quite a bit. The pilot struggles to stabilize the craft and after doing so, quickly lands the thing on a second try without incident or comment about the matter.

A small group of people wait gathered for the chopper to land. Among them are several blue-jumpsuit wearing crewmen and a handful of khaki-colored jumpsuit wearing security team members. Standing at the head of this band of half-dozen or so personnel are Hyun Maeng (in a bright red-colored jumpsuit) and Jin-Ho Yong (in a khaki-colored business suit).

The hour is late and introductions brief.
Letting you catchup and recap as needed. Moving on soon however, just to try and rekindle momentum lost by my crappy past week.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Heading Out - Pt II

Post by Trogdor » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:34 am

Having tailored Gun's jumpsuit if he wishes it done, Crow waits for the chopper with the others. As he does so, the mage confirms a few operational details, such as commlink frequencies, security protocols, official roles in the inspection team, and the like. He also shares a few important pieces of information that he's learned.

"I have looked into the Dreamtime and sought divinations about this run," he explains. "My efforts have revealed two things - if the divinations are correct. First, we can expect little in the way of magical security, which is a good thing. Second, the person who represents the greatest threat to our mission is Jin-Ho Yong and how he relates to each of us." The mage raises an eyebrow. "I know that last bit seems fairly obvious. But it is nice to have that matter confirmed for us - to know that there isn't a hidden threat and that Yong isn't a catspaw to draw us out."

Once on the chopper, Crow is quiet, working himself into his new role. By the time they arrive, his voice is slightly different, his bearing changed. He behaves as if he were what he appears, a member of a spot inspection team.

When they finally make their landing, he uses the few moments before the door opens to assense the greeting party, just in case something strange shows up. Once the doors to the chopper do open, he's one of the first to offer his greetings. "Good day Ms. Maeng, Mr. Yong," he says in Australian accented English. My name is Jun-yee Kim. Thank you for taking the time to greet us."
Only 5 dice for assensing, alas.

I'm not certain what my 'official' role is in the inspection team. But that's something I'd get settled before the chopper came.

Also, given my lack of Korean as a language, the story I'm going with is that given the breadth of our mission, we have been instructed to handle all communications in English. This is something some Japanese companies do today. It seems reasonable that a Korean company in SR might do the same. The only other language with as much use is Japanese, and that's right out.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:36 am

Leviathan stoically ignores the difficulties the helicopter has landing. It probably helps that he has little fear of falling into the ocean--he loves being underwater and has cyber-gills. He does, however, recognize that it might cause difficulties for the others.

He tries to hide his cringe when Crow takes charge of the communications, speaking in English. Marika has specifically provided the rest of them with Korean language skillsofts to deal with this situation. He nudges Point to intervene if need be. If she doesn't, he prepares to do so.
Trog, Point is Haya's character (a cyber-ninja and Leviathan's half-sister), who is also with us. I think Haya indicated before you joined the game that Point didn't have the charisma deficit of the other characters and could play face--and she has the Korean language and other necessary skillsofts to fake expertise. Of course, Haya is out of commission right now, but hopefully he'll be back next week.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:46 am

I'll delete this later. But let me say something before Lyssa rolls her eyes so hard they fall out of her head.

I'm not trying to screw things up. I'm working with the info I have. I had assumed that the entire run would not be conducted in Korean or basically I'm sitting on the sidelines for the entire run. And frankly, my understanding was that unless you had the best in language softs, you still had an accent. So it didn't seem to me like we even had the option to pretend we were totally fluent in Korean.

Also, my character has a 7 Charisma, 10 dice in Con, and 12 Dice in the Impersonation specialty for Con. It seems a damn shame for him to never speak at all (that's what he'd have to do since he doesn't speak Korean). And I'm not sure how we'd even manage that. What do we do - say that he's a mute?

Still, our group clearly had time to discuss these things before we got there. (That's why I posted that I wanted to check out things like roles before we the chopper arrived.) If everyone wants Crow to clam up and say nothing for the entire run, I'll do that. It will seriously limit my effectiveness (and my fun in the game, though that's secondary), but I'll do it if people prefer.

If that's the case, I'll ask Eanwulf to allow a retcon of Crow sitting in the back like a mute, smiling and looking stupid.

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by Eanwulf » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:14 am

Muskrat wrote:Trog, Point is Haya's character (a cyber-ninja and Leviathan's half-sister), who is also with us. I think Haya indicated before you joined the game that Point didn't have the charisma deficit of the other characters and could play face--and she has the Korean language and other necessary skillsofts to fake expertise. Of course, Haya is out of commission right now, but hopefully he'll be back next week.
Took this to Mission Prep OOC. Point was also rebuilt and currently has no Negotiation skills other than a 3 Charisma. He/She went pure Infiltration/Cyber-Ninja.
When Life Hands You Razorblades. You Make A Baseball Bat Covered In Razorblades!

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:49 am

Gun just smiles. He doesn't really care what language they speak in, what does it matter anyway, he wonders. The German, with his nicely tailored jumpsuit, likes Crow. The runner helped him look nice, and Gun always likes to look his best.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Zorbeltuss
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Zorbeltuss » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:28 am

Lyssa goes over what she knows of the matrix of the rig, ordinarily, she'd like some more time to get properly set up, but this would have to do.
I don't suppose she'd have time to do the same sort of fun stuff to get herself into the rig node? Or use the admin account she has with ET to play around in it? Mainly, she'd like to be able to shut down their connections, so that very little camera footage and such of us gets out.

I imagine that she'll change her face, nanopaste disguise is just the thing, right? Add in some fake retina pattern and fingerprints maybe?

Eanwulf
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Brief Introductions

Post by Eanwulf » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:17 pm

As my post in the vacations and absences forum states clearly, somebody shoot me! I've been horribly busy and do so apologize for letting things stagnate. I pray that things resume some sense of normalcy once I get this stupid surgery over with and finally get discharged from my doctor's to 100% home care capable.

Meanwhile, I struggle to endure. Let us continue?

And by all means, please don't hate me :(
Leviathan's apprehension is soon laid to rest as Hyun Maeng replies to Crow's introduction. "Well lookie here," the woman responds accordingly, her thick Ozzie accent rivaling Crow's own, "They done went and sent us a sweet-talker!" The woman's response prompts Point to cease her advance to try and "take charge" of the situation at her sibling's request. A couple of the crewmen chortle forth an addendum to Maeng's comment, but are quickly silenced by a stern glance from the woman. Security Chief Yong and his men however, do not laugh. Instead, they merely stomp their way forth and demand to see everyone's security clearance cards, in Korean.

"Ah yes," comments Maeng as her second-in-command does so, "If everyone would be so kind as show Security Chief Yong your Clearance ID's, we can get you tucked away in a nice warm bunk and start our inspection in the morning."
ID's given and scanned. Sourpuss glare and a scowl from Yong later, things seem to be in order.
Yong performs his task with brutal authority. It is plainly clear that the man does not like your intrusion upon the rig. Still however, he follows orders and swipes each of the runners' clearance cards, mumbling something in Korean as he does so.
"Great, two Gweilo and a Sellout. What next? Someone go ahead and shoot me now!"
Done with his task, Yong quickly turns to face Hyun Maeng and gives the woman an approving nod. The woman then comments. "Right then, things seem to be in order. If you would please follow me, I'll show you to your room." Meanwhile, Yong motions to the turbochopper and it begins to take off. Eventually, the crewmen gradually disperse, headed back to their respective tasks or to bed in general. The two security team members and Yong however, accompany Rig Commander Maeng and the others.

"I have to say," states Maeng as the group travels inside the rig, "I do so hate last minute changes. I was expecting your first team to arrive much sooner. Still however, I reckon Corporate is going to do whatever Corporate is going to do." The woman is of course referring to the original inspection crew that the runners are now replacing. "I would however," Maeng continues to profess, "Like to make the most of a bad situation and humbly ask to reschedule your inspection starting time of 6 am to 8 am instead. This would give us all an extra two hours of much-needed racktime (sleep) and there isn't much going on at 6 anyways. Just the men finishing up breakfast and receiving their daily assignments."
The time is currently somewhere between 1:15 am and 1:30 am so not too terribly unreasonable of a request. Then again, this could also be a clever ploy to see how lenient you are as inspectors. Who knows?

Cue Paranoia :twisted:
Security Chief Yong listens on intently as he follows closely behind the runners. The well-muscled Korean eyes Lyssa's and Point's asses as he travels. In time, the group is led to a makeshift barracks. Apparently a storeroom of sorts, the chamber has been retro-fitted with a chemical toilet, functional shower and wash sink, as well as four sets of bunk-beds and storage lockers. Far from posh, the entire room comes across as the odd combination of a prison cell and safe house. Yong smiles as you come to the room. Maeng merely sighs. "Well here we are, your room. Sorry it isn't the Ritz, but our rig only has so much room and despite its enormous size, most of it is already allocated to other functions and features."

The woman then looks to the runners for their answer to the question about starting things up two hours later than normal.
Cosmetic decision overall. No risk of endangering your mission. The bomb gets set when the bomb gets set. Chopper comes to get you when activated. Your call overall.