Prelude: Port Peril - Formidably Maid

The shipping lanes of Golarion's seas and oceans are filled with fat merchant vessels laden with trade goods both mundane and exotic, as well as the pirates and freebooters who prey on them. Under the banner of their Hurricane King, these buccaneers sally forth from that archipelago of lawless pirate ports and anchorages known as the Shackles, plundering the shipping of countless countries and trade consortiums, then vanishing back into the maze of islands and reefs they call home. The nations of the Inner Sea would like nothing more than to end the pirate menace once and for all, but the eternal hurricane known as the Eye of Abendego has thus far shielded the Free Captains of the Shackles from the threat of retaliation.

In the Skull & Shackles Adventure Path, the PCs take on the role of pirates, but they must make a name for themselves in piracy, plunder, and disrepute to truly become infamous Free Captains of the Shackles.

A Paizo Adventure Path

Run by the Pirate King Vardaen
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Prelude: Port Peril - Formidably Maid

Post by Trogdor » Wed May 22, 2013 12:15 am

Maggie happily takes the offered rum. "What a fine gentleman you are," she says, in her delightful brogue, introductions having been taken care of by Toruk. "I'm here for much the same reason you are - looking for a job." She drinks some of the rum. "I've worked in the harbors of Ilizmagorti all my life. But I've always wanted to go to sea. Toss in an overprotective father, and you've got my story. I just arrived here in town today - managed to get working passage here as a favor, but the captain didn't have space for another sailor."

"So here I am," she adds, "almost as poor as you, and just as unemployed." She smiles at the newcomer. "But that's a problem for tomorrow. Tonight we enjoy ourselves before the work begins. Will ya join us for supper? Buying a bowl of chowder or a plate of flounder is the least I can do for a gentleman such as yourself."

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Wed May 22, 2013 8:55 am

Suddenly a regal voice chimes out from the shadows. "Well fought the lot of you. Please allow me to refill your mugs. For it is not often that I am impressed by such displays". There is a haughtiness to his tone that is nearly hidden through his well spoken mannerism. Now fully revealed to view the man advances, his person unscathed by the recent brawl.

"My name is Appello, or Don Medicci perhaps you have heard of me? I wonder if I may take refuge from this tempest, at your table. As it seems to be one of the few still intact". The mans words flow like liquid silver as he offers a polite bow of his head...
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

Grimbold
Title: Professor
User Class: Scholar

Post by Grimbold » Wed May 22, 2013 3:19 pm

Rod turns to the newcomer.
"Well, I have also just arrived and had a little conversation with this beautiful lady and her brave companion, Toruk. So I can't offer you a place at the table. But I would be happy for your company, the more the merrier. My name is Roderick Belmonte, by the way."

He winks at Maggie and turns to her. "Yes, I would love to get some decent food, haven't eaten right in two weeks. Anyway, I would love to hear the long version of your most interesting story. Oh, what have you got behind your ear?"
rolled 1d20+ sleight of hand: 16. Should be ok. I just made the roll myself because it's mostly rp stuff and nothing really serious.
Roderick pulls out a small, red paper rose from behind Maggie's ear.
"Now look here, a beautiful rose for a beautiful lady." Smiling, he hands her the rose with a bow.

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Wed May 22, 2013 3:49 pm

Toruk ponders the thought of knowing this new arrival, "Should I have?"

He then pushes an empty chair out from the table and gestures with his hand for Appello to sit and join them.

Toruk smiles upon seeing Roderick's sleight of hand, "Well played Roderick, well played."
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed May 22, 2013 5:36 pm

"How charming," Maggie replies when Roderick produces the paper rose. Taking it, she smiles and adds, "it's beautiful." Then she slips it into her hair, just above one ear. "A trick like that is definitely worth dinner. We'll get you some as soon as we can flag down one of the servers."

Then she looks to the newcomer. "I'm afraid I'm new in town," she replies. "And I lived the sheltered life of a merchant's daughter before that." Technically true, though not entirely accurate. "Are you famous?" She gestures for him to take a seat. Anyone who was buying the drinks was welcome here.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed May 22, 2013 6:32 pm

The serving girl returns to the table, with a bowl of chowder and a plate of broiled fish. "I believe you ordered these before the brawl?" She slides the meals before the Maggie and Toruk. "Can I get you gentlemen anything ta eat? Another round of drinks?" She takes the order and winks at Appello running a finger along his shoulder. Then she's off, and returns a while later with mugs and plates and all the other things you might order.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Wed May 22, 2013 6:37 pm

Roderick kisses her hand and sits down for a chat. He is enjoying himself and trying to charm Maggie (though not being pushy) by paying her lots of compliments.

"I'm from Taldor, but do not long to go back there for some time. Too many intrigues and a lifestyle full of rules and resctrictions. And the parties, so boring, food and wine so boring, the people so boring. No prospect of ever doing anything useful in my life. I prefer the Maid and your company" He smiles at Maggie. "to all the noble women of Taldor thrown together. I prefer the freedom of the high seas and the wind in my face to the dusty fashion-obsessed festivals of Taldor. So here I am, looking for someone to talk to and a new job, and I find such extraordinary company as you, Maggie ... and Toruk and Apello too of course."

"Apello, Don Medici? Forgive me, I have not heard of you. Are you from Absalom perchance?" he says, turning to the newcomer.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Wed May 22, 2013 6:50 pm

"Well I hope we don't find ourselves competing for the same job tomorrow," Maggie says cheerfully. "Because I intend to get it." She gives Roderick a wink and a smile.

Grimbold

Post by Grimbold » Thu May 23, 2013 3:54 pm

"One more smile like that, Maggie, and I will cede you the job. Though, I guess we will not compete for the same position - they need all kinds of people on a ship. So I wager they would have to take all of us." He gestures around the table, including Apello, though he does not know if the man is also looking for work.

He orders some broth, bread and cheese, a hearty meal but not too expensive. When the food arrives, he dips the bread into the broth and takes a large bite.
I will just include a more detailed description here.
Roderick Belmonte is a tall, slender man in his twenties, with dark hair and eyes and tanned skin (or light bronze). He has no facial hair and wears his hair long, bound together in a ponytail at the back. He is wearing worn courtier's clothes, a bit more expensive than ordinary sailor's gear, but equally sturdy. There are some patches on his white shirt and some tears, but it seems in good order generally. He is also wearing a soft studded leather armor. His leather pants and boots are also worn but look very practical. On a wide, dark leather belt, he wears a rapier, and a strange curved blade is on his back. He has put down his backpack, a fine work of craftsmanship, that holds some of his posessions, including a quiver of arrows and a shortbow.

Roderick has a charming smile and speaks wittily, competent in court language as well as the more hearty slang of the sailors.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu May 23, 2013 8:48 pm

The quartet, now seated together and eating and drinking talks about their plans and their past. A few mugs have been drained before anyone realizes it and you are well on your way to getting drunk, really drunk. The drinking eases the pain of the bar fight, and eases the pain of being home sick, out of work, and low on prospects.

Through the front door of the Formidably Maid comes a foul looking pirate sort. The man stands at about six feet with a sway to his steps that speaks volumes of a life at sea. A red bandanna is wrapped around his head with thick black hair falling out from under it to match his heavy black beard. A long black leather trench coat hangs off his shoulders with light leathers and cottons under that. A boarding axe is tucked into his belt, and off it hangs a coiled up whip. He pushes his way into the room and moves to push a man out of his chair almost instantly. Walking up onto the chair he stands taller than the room and surveys the chamber. "Listen up you filthy swabs! The glorious Wormwood is lookin fer new recruits! She's the leanest ship in port, with a viscous keel and a capt'in to match! You look'in for plunger! For fighting! For the freedom of the seas? I'm here to sign you up!" He gazes around the pub.

People around the room keep their eyes down, few men, and no women give the man a second look, and in fact try and keep themselves out of his line of attention.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring